“family vacation”

Comfort Inn Beach/Boardwalk Area
Ranked #16 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Reviewed 17 August 2014

The hotel is very close to the beach and boardwalk, less than 10 minutes walk. The staffs are very friendly. It has a very small pool and it is clean and heated. The breakfast is not gòod. A lot of towls gas stained on them. The room is very small. We stay for 2 nights. And will stay again if we come to Santa Cruz since my kids love the boardwalk.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Comfort Inn Beach/Boardwalk Area

Reviewed 11 August 2014

I made a reservation by mistake on line. Called the hotel to ask them to cancel it. He refused because it was less than 48 hours with-in the cancellation period. I was trying to make it for a month out. I was going to reserve two rooms for the next month. The manager told me he would reserve the next month for me and cancel my current reservation but that I would not be able to cancel or change my next reservation. I work in the hotel industry this is such bad business. I called corporate to file a formal complaint and they were no help. I guess choice hotels are out for me. I was reading the reviews for this hotel I agree- what a horrible way to treat customers.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Dawn C
Reviewed 10 August 2014

The location of this hotel is perfect if you plan to visit Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk and the beach. It's only a couple of short blocks from the Boardwalk and only a block closer than the overpriced parking lots. As is typical with beach motels like this, parking is at a premium, so spaces are tiny and the hotel has a double-parking system of some type, but things work out. The pool is tiny, but the with ocean two blocks away, that seems unimportant. The room was slightly nicer than anticipated. It was roomy, well furnished, clean and in good condition. The bathroom was very clean and in good condition. My only complain with the room is a lack of electrical outlets. There are few at all, yet alone ones at a desktop level. My particular room had a bit of a "locker room" odor that I didn't bring to anyone's attention because I was only there for one night (and I knew that the hotel was full and didn't want it to smell like disinfectant either, so airing it out seemed to the logical choice). The breakfast in the lobby is mediocre with limited seating.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Bill L
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Stayed here for 1 night in early August and found it to be quite nice and relatively decent value, considering the area, high season,and extreme close proximity to Boardwalk. The clerk called me about 4pm to ask when I would be arriving. Upon my arrival, he was very friendly and had actually reserved a parking spot for me, something that was unexpected and very much appreciated! The room itself was of course basic but very clean and nicely decorated for a 2-star hotel. The wi-fi worked great on all 3 of my devices. There were also 4 pillows on each bed (2 soft and 2 firm), which was a very nice surprise and something not found at even most 3 star hotels.

Probably the biggest benefit of this hotel is its close proximity to the Boardwalk. It is I believe the closest hotel, being just 1.5 short blocks to the main entrance. This was quite convenient as it allows pretty much anyone to walk there easily and save money and the hassle of parking in a lot or on the streets.

As to the complaints of people like the review below mine, you really need to do some comparisons before rating a place down for things like price, parking, etc. The fact is that there are NO cheap places in Santa Cruz in the summer, unless you are willing to stay in a "roach motel". Also, the closer you are the to the Boardwalk, of course you are going to pay a premium. Likewise, the parking situation is tight at all hotels in this area, so rating a place down for tight parking seems a bit ludicrous to me. Now yes, if you ignore all these mitigating factors, it can seem a bit crazy to pay $190 for a room in a 2-star hotel, but you cannot logically ignore these factors since they are what drives price in this industry. I did extensive research on hotels in this area and this was one of the least expensive ones with decent reviews.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank ASP-lover
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Paid an arm and a leg, but chose to stay here because of the many positive reviews and its close proximity to the boardwalk. It was ok, but I expected more for what I paid. It's a standard motel that's not awful but not great either.

The parking lot is cramped and tiny, and you'll have to valet your keys if you arrive when the lot is full. If you arrive after hours, then you'll have to park in the street. The "pool" is super tiny, and they should just clear it and create a few more parking spaces.

It's a sufficient motel but not worth the 4/5 rating and definitely not worth the price. Sorry TripAdvisor you were off the mark on this one.

Stayed: August 2014
2  Thank Rob C
Reviewed 23 July 2014

This is the second we stayed here in the past six months. We reserved two rooms and got them side by side, which was great. This hotel is straight up the street from the boardwalk about 1.5 blocks. The staff is extremely courteous, check-in is easy, adequate parking and the complimentary breakfast of waffles, eggs, sausage and assorted fruits and pastries worked great for us. Rooms aren't 5 star, but this isn't the Ritz Carlton, either. It may seem a little pricey, but look at the location and high season. We'll stay again.

Room Tip: All rooms seem similar. We stayed on the second floor the first time and the ground floor the secon...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Troutinator
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Stayed here for night on our trip around the bay area and liked it. The gentleman behind the counter was friendly when we walked in and our room was fine. Good large bed and it was clean. Breakfast was included, it was pretty much the standard fare.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple