“BEWARE!”

Comfort Inn Beach/Boardwalk Area
Ranked #16 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Reviewed 8 August 2007

I can't actually say we stayed in our room, because there was absolutely no place to park our car - not in the tiny lot, and not on any nearby street! Unless, of course, I thought it was a good idea to give my car keys to the desk clerk to move the car out of the driveway when necessary. And when I declined to give the desk clerk my keys, and thus had no choice but to decline to register in our room, Expedia decided that I STILL owed them $250 for the room for that night!

And now Expedia has sicced a collection agency on us, trying to collect the $250 which I refuse to pay, since Comfort Inn did not meet their part of the implied contract - they, and Expedia - both show no-extra-charge "outside parking" as a hotel feature.

Don't assume that Expedia is on your side - and don't go to the Comfort Inn, Beach-Boardwalk Area, Santa Cruz, CA expecting to have a parking place. I suppose if you're "thumbing" that is not going to be a problem. Otherwise, THUMBS DOWN on both Comfort Inn and Expedia!

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled as a couple
2  Thank GLADSENIOR
There are newer reviews for Comfort Inn Beach/Boardwalk Area

Reviewed 30 June 2007

This hotel was a great place to stay for our family while my husband was at a conference in Capitola. The kids and I walked to the beach everyday and had fun on the Boardwalk. We were able to walk downtown and the surrounding area around the hotel was fine. Other reviewers said it was awful but we had no problems, everyone was super friendly and the hotel staff were great. We had awesome tacos at the many local taquerias in the area and overall I would probably stay here again as it was not too pricey considering this is a beach area in summer! Marini's on the boardwalk, the wharf and in the arcade area of the boardwalk has good coffee and yummy treats.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 15 June 2007

LOVED this hotel. It's a short drive from the boardwalk..
The service was great. I loved that they had internet in the office so i could check my email. The service was great and the dude behind the counter (mark was his name...I think) was pretty friendly.

Stayed: June 2007
Reviewed 27 September 2006

Avoid this place! I reserved a room a month in advance, and received a confirmation number. When I arrived at 4 pm, the manager explained that she had given my room away, because my credit card was refused. Even though the card worked fine, on the same day before and after she checked it, I understand that electronic glitches sometimes happen. What I do NOT understand is why they waited 30 days after confirming my reservation to check the card -- then were surprised that I was not at home when they called -- at checkin time! I was lucky to find a room in a fleabag far from the Boardwalk.

The manager told me that each Comfort Inn franchisee makes its own policies, so beware -- a confirmed reservation means NOTHING.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled solo
2  Thank LuckJohn
Reviewed 22 April 2006

This motel is not in a great area. (Although Santa Cruz may not have a great area!)

The parking lot was very small, we had to park on the street overnight after we got back from dinner. The dinner recommendation for the mexican restaurant downtownwas good, El Palomar I believe. The room was too small for the furniture. Very uncomfortable sofa bed. We will definitely not stay here again. My mistake for not checking the reviews ahead of time.

• Stayed: April 2006
3  Thank Janet N
Reviewed 28 March 2006

I stayed in a suite at this hotel. First off, It was a very strange shape. The room with the pull out couch was in the front and would not allow for suitcases to be pulled through with the sleeper sofa pulled out. The in room hot tub thing was nice. The TVs were pretty old. Overall the room was not too bad. The breakfast spread was not appealing at all. I looked over the few pastries and old bananas and went elsewhere. Another note...when I mentioned the area I was staying in to my relatived their eyes bugged out because it is apparently a heavy drug area, although I did not see any.

5  Thank Shane W
Reviewed 26 September 2005

I had to write a review in defense of this hotel after reading so many violently negative comments on this site. My family stayed here over Labor Day weekend. I was apprehensive after reading the other reviews, but I really wanted to be walking distance to the boardwalk. To my surprise, I found it to be very pleasant. We had a large room near the street, but I didn't find noise to be a problem. The room had a bed and a pull-out couch for the kids. The couch was in an alcove around the corner from our sleeping are which gave us a little more privacy. The room was very clean a well-equipped with a fridge, microwave, coffee maker, and hair dryer. There was also a fireplace in the room, but we didn't use it. The breakfast in the morning was typically sparse, but fine. We loved being able to walk to everything and I didn't find the neighborhood to be scary at all, just your usual beach community. My sister and her kids stayed in another room, and were also quite pleased; although she did complain of some noise from the ice machine. The rate was reasonable, especially for a holiday weekend. Don't be put-off by those other reviews. It's a regular Comfort Inn, people - not the Ritz!

• Stayed: September 2005