“Staying in Santa Cruz? Call here first!”

Casablanca Inn on the Beach
Ranked #25 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Reviewed 10 July 2013

One of the coolest places to stay in all of Santa Cruz. When me & the misses want another day'cation we'll come here and unwind. Right on the beach. The Santa Cruz Municipal Warf is totally within walking distance and has lots of awesome restaurants and shops. Very near the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk if you want to catch a cool ride on the Big Dipper.

There's really too many cool things to do within walking distance to list here,, seriously.
Have a couple of cocktails and dip your toes in the ocean?? Yes sir.. that's me all over.

To the rogue poor reviewers I say, Hey, Stuff happens! Stop and smell the roses or get out of the garden and make room for someone else (just one man's opinion). One reviewer called the Casablanca a "lovely, relaxing seaside hotel"... I couldn't describe it better.

The Casablanca has been thru a lot of changes over the years, most of them not so good in my book. However, the NEW owners have spruced the place up, modernized it, and I think it is now, the best it's ever been. I travel a lot all over California and I've come to really appreciate a place that has the location, the decour, and most importantly the staff to make it all come together.

Can you tell i like this place?

Room Tip: For a really quiet room, get one away from the main drag.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Danny_OI812
Charles C, Owner at Casablanca Inn on the Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2013

We are so appreciative of your charismatic review of our little Inn On the Beach! Thank you for taking the time to notice the updates around the place, the new owner has set very high standards for shaping up the property while keeping the historical nature readily in mind. We have undergone many changes since he took over in 2011, and we are continuing to add changes here and there as time goes on. We invite you back On the Beach anytime to see what we've been up to since you've been here last!

Reviewed 8 July 2013

I would not stay here. I am participating in the Wharf to Wharf run on July 28, 2013. I made this reservation back on April 7th. I received a phone call on June 29, 2013 that the hotel computer system had crashed and that they lost track of my reservation. I had booked a room with double queen beds for my friend and myself. They told me at the time of the phone call that they had moved me to another room with a single queen bed and that they would give me an air mattress for my guest. And for the inconvenience they would drop the rate to $185. That was not going to work for me and my friend. So I requested to speak to the manager, Priscilla, and she "was at a meeting and would return my phone call." She never did. So I called back a few days later and she stated she would call the other couple who had reserved the room "after the computer crash" and call me back to see if that family was willing to change rooms. A week and half later they still had not called me back. When I called back, requesting to speak to the manager, "she was not at her desk" and the clerk," did not know where she was." At that point I cancelled my reservation and requested that my credit card be refunded the amount it was charged in April and the clerk stated my card had been refunded back on 6/26 which was not true. I had to dispute the charge with my credit card company and get them involved.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Jennifer B

We are so sorry to hear about your reservation experience. We did have a computer crash incident in April in which we lost all new data that had accrued on the day you made your reservation with us. We are truly sorry about the inconvenience that was caused as a result of trying to get you in a room that could accommodate your party after the system lost your information. The front desk clerk who told you that you were refunded had incorrectly read your paperwork and we had not refunded it as of yet. When we attempted to refund your card, our system would not allow us to refund you based on the card on file no longer being valid. The Hotel Manager attempted to reach out to you to get a new credit card to apply the refund to that card, but we received the charge-back information from your credit card company upon which we acknowledged you are owed that money back. This system crash had never happened before and we are so very sorry that you were fell victim to unavoidable circumstances. We hope that you can still try us out another time so we can change your mind once you experience our accommodations!

Reviewed 6 July 2013

Our stay was fabulous! We were very happy with our room and the view was so spectacular I didn't want to leave the room. I woke up to the peaceful sound and view of the ocean. The hotel was very quiet and the staff extremely friendly. The continental breakfast was delicious and perfect for us light eaters. The location is excellent. I loved this hotel!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Charles C, Owner at Casablanca Inn on the Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2013

Your wonderful review has made us feel very special here On the Beach! We are so happy to hear about your beautiful stay here! Please come back and stay with us again soon, we would love to build upon your previous experience!

Reviewed 5 July 2013 via mobile

Perfect seaside hotel! Close to everything ! Staff was very helpful. If you are looking for a fancy place to stay this is not the place for you. But is you want a lovely relaxing seaside hotel it is perfect. As an extra perk the Thai restaurant on the premises is excellent !

• Stayed: June 2013

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay with us at Casablanca Inn! We love hearing about how our guests enjoy our accommodations On the Beach! We are also very excited to share the property with the new and delicious Sawasdee Thai Cuisine, we're glad our guests can take advantage of some good eats while they are enjoying the surf and sun! We look forward to seeing you On the Beach again!

Reviewed 2 July 2013

Very disappointed and disgusted with new pet policies. This was our favorite Santa Cruz hotel until pet friendly status. We loved the beach front bungalows on Beach Street. We reserved a stay there this week and have had to cancel our trip because we were not informed that all the prime beach front rooms are now "pet friendly." Found a post from a happy pet owner marveling at how wonderful it was for her pet to be allowed to sleep in bed with her in this room with a great ocean view. Yuck!! Disgusting and very disappointed that we were not informed upon reserving the room that this was a pet friendly room and shared pet friendly balcony. We have pet allergies / asthma and would have been very ill if we stayed in the room. Unfortunately, too late to book another room at a hotel that doesn't allow pets to sleep in the beds.

• Stayed: July 2013
Charles C, Owner at Casablanca Inn on the Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2013

We are sorry that you were misinformed about our pet policy. We understand that many people have allergies to pet dander, and that's why we only allow pets in rooms without carpet. This does in fact include some of the Beach Street Bungalows that you were referring to, however not all of them are Pet-Friendly. If you would still like to stay in a Beach Street Bungalow, we can see if we can accommodate you in one of those rooms that does not accept pets if you specify that you have allergies in your reservation. We hope that you can come back to try us again so we can still be your favorite hotel!

Reviewed 25 June 2013

250 dollars for a day and really a shack of a room.we stayed in 6 A the room on the mainstreet.it was so noisy being on the road. Was a good location,rooms were clean and had a small kitchenette but we felt we were sleepin on a platform for the amount of noise around.Maybe it was the wrong choice of room but that was the cheapest available!!
The staff basically reception was 'to the point'.
It would stay at a better location.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank GurmeetB
Charles C, Owner at Casablanca Inn on the Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2013

We are saddened that you were disappointed with the location of your accommodations at our Hotel. The room that you are referring to is the only one of our rooms located on the street level, therefore it is the most susceptible to the noise of beach traffic. We specify this in the description of the room online, or if you made your reservation over the phone, our staff would have also noted this fact as it is a very unique room. When we took over the property in 2011, we installed sound proof windows in that room in order to cut down on the noise from the street. Please let us know next time that you are unsatisfied with your accommodations so that our staff can assist you in ameliorating your stay. As a former private mansion, all of our rooms are different with their own personality and charm.Thank you for acknowledging the cleanliness of the room and our relative location to the beach, we hope that you can come stay with us again in a different room away from the street for a better experience!

Reviewed 22 June 2013

If you are in Santa Cruz you must go to this Hotel. I highly recommend it. You get a very warm welcome, the rooms are fantastic and very clean. We had one of the small rooms and even that was fantastic. The people are very friendly. It was a very pleasant stay. And we will go back there. To the crew: Thank you for making it an awesome experience. Could not have asked for more

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

Wow what a review! We are so touched to hear about your experience On the Beach! Our staff strives to make your vacation relaxing and comfortable as soon you arrive to the property, beginning with the friendly nature of our Front Desk Staff to the cleanliness of our rooms. We thank you for noticing our efforts and sharing your kind words :-) We would LOVE to receive you and your family again for some more fun in the sun!