“Amazing views, and so much Charm and Character!”

Casablanca Inn on the Beach
Ranked #23 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
New York City, New York
“Amazing views, and so much Charm and Character!”
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Very quaint with nice touches like a writhing fireplace. Staff was very friendly and they upgraded us to what felt like the must unique room in the hotel. Private balcony, and three exposures, including views of the wharf, the beach, and the Coconut Grove. :-)

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank dancesteve

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
Cupertino, California
Reviewed 4 June 2014

This is one of the only inns/hotels that is directly on the beach! Santa Cruz has a lot of old run down places, but the Casablanca inn is different and charming!

My favourite was our front counter host Dane! He was so helpful, friendly, and accommodating! That is the Santa Cruz charm you will get when you stay here. So thoughtful, and made great recommendations of the area!

We stayed in the Captain's Suite which is a beautiful room with a kitchen, fireplace, sitting area, table, wine glasses, and an amazing unobstructed view of the beach from the bed! Gorgeous! Thank you Dane for everything!

Also this place is extremely affordable!

1 Thank ladyleet
Shady Cove, Oregon
Reviewed 2 June 2014

The staff "sell" parking spaces to the public making parking spaces unavailable to Casa Blanca guests. Maybe that was his pocket change for the day. Maybe the Management doesn't know this is occurring. Non the less we were blocked in by cars parked that were visiting the surrounding area businesses. When I reported the situation to the staff casually they stated, "you should have parked on the street". We had dinner reservations off site and were told to "get a cab". We got a cab. The Staff did not offer to cover the cab costs nor an apology. The beautiful room and fantastic location can not make up for the awful parking, the laid back, uncaring staff I will not recommend Casa Blanca.

Room Tip: Room 7 lovely just as stated on their website. No surprises there. The only disappointment was the...
2 Thank Marilee M

Travellers are raving about these Santa Cruz hotels

San Jose, California
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Due to a recent change in ownership our experience was horrific. I paid for the majority of the room over their website in March for my end of May 2014 stay. Upon arrival they told me they had refunded the deposit and would charge the full amount that day. My bank account did not reflect a refund and when I talked to the mgr on site she promised she would not charge me until she had figured out what happened and that she would call me. Nope, my card was charged AGAIN that night and no one called. She was not on-site in the morning as she promised she would be. The clerk just took my name and number and said they would sort it out and call. The clerk said that the change in ownership could be why there was a problem with my refund...none of this is my problem. I spent the majority of my vacation fretting over my charges.
Our room stank and we found that there were rotten/exploded bananas and other food in one of the drawers. We were charged $30 for an additional car (even though our room slept 4). My girlfriends and I used to love this place and looked forward to our yearly trip here. WE WILL NEVER COME BACK.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Monica Z
La Grange, North Carolina
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Memorial Day Weekend 2014 King suite with Ocean View for a grand total of $428.00. In my book that is a lot of money to spend on a room with a balcony overlooking the parking lot, and street with a partial ocean view of the roof. The add on Booking's .com showed a picture with a full ocean view (the ocean looked much closer than it was) the room was marginal for the price with mouse droppings under the sink , stains on the carpet, and dry rot in some corners of the room. Two people were checking out when we arrived because of similar complaints ( high price sold as ocean view not, etc.). When we complained they threatened to throw us out (wow that was a first; reminded me of the soup Nazi in a Seinfeld episode ) needless to say that there was very limited accommodations available by that time of the day in Santa Cruz on one of their busiest weekends of the year. I admit to getting duped on this one. I should have known better, but the add was misleading and for the price you would expect to have a very high end room with a full ocean view. There was one male staff person who was a student at the university studying math that was very helpful and apologetic. He came to the room and cleaned up under the sink, and brought us a bottle of wine. That was nice. The bed was comfortable. That's it. Oh by the way: the beach at Santa Cruz was filthy. It looked like a dump site from one end to the other with everybody throwing their garbage on the beech. It was disgusting

1 Thank Thom303
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 31 May 2014

On the spur of the moment needed to book a place in Santa Cruz to catch an early kayaking trip off the wharf.

Due to location, checked out the CasaBlanca. Perfect location. Literally one minute from the beach and 2 minutes to the fun wharf area. The place is definitely a mom and pop... nice young man (swamped and overworked) checked us in. Seems like the place is going through the transition to new ownership and CAN BE wonderful in the future. Our room was king-size bed and cute little balcony overlooking the beach, and wharf. Table, chairs, glass of wine and really enjoyed the sunset. Had a full kitchen too. Free parking. Very comfy. Could hear he seals barking.

Down side: They really don't have a proper breakfast service yet. There were things to toast, but no butter or jam. A couple of bananas. Decent Coffee.. but not really set up yet. The morning manager explained the changes that were coming and based on that and their very friendly service, I will come back again.

Room Tip: Ask for Room 10 and you will love the view.
1 Thank JennyC282
Laguna Hills
Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

Friendly staff
Older place without modern amenities but located right across the street from Santa Cruz Pier
Personally I think the pier area is rather dingy and wouldn't choose to stay in that area again but Casablanca is well located if you want to be there

Staff very nice, room was clean with nice ocean view
Woke up to the sound of sea lions every morning which I loved
No a/c so I'm not sure the room would be comfortable in summertime
Offered free internet but I couldn't get it to work
Had an in room safe that I could not get to work
Bed comfortable good tv, free continental breakfast

• Stayed May 2014