“Super cozy suite”

Casablanca Inn on the Beach
Ranked #24 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Reviewed 18 June 2014

I loved this hotel. My daughter and I needed a place to stay between homes and it was so peaceful and tranquil in one of the quaint buildings in the back of the property. Bedding was super comfortable. Get breakfast somewhere else....continental breakfast was lacking.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the beach. Plan a trip when the school is in session for better price...

Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

Location was right on the beach, both windows had great view of ocean! Only thing I would hope for, for next time, is a full length mirror in the room.
Room service was below average, requests took a long time to get with us having to walk down and get the items ourselves.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Yes, the location is great - right across the street from the boardwalk.

Yes, the front desk folks were very friendly.

Yes, it's an old hotel, "classic", I guess one might call it. Free parking in a lot for guests.

I was disappointed when I couldn't get a room in my favorite hotel for one night, so we got one of the "economical" rooms which I booked through Hotwire. Supposedly I got a deal... I was OK with spending a bit more (four hundred) if the room was really nice...

We walked into the reception area. Very small window with one computer and one person managing check-ins, phones, check-outs, and other miscellaneous tasks. The hallway was dark and tired, and we swatted the flies out of the way until it was our turn to speak to the gentleman.

We checked in, and made our way down the outside steps to the room, and let ourselves in. Old wicker furniture and a room so small you'd have to go outside to change your mind. No A/C in this particular room, and the "beachfront view" was really the side of a building in front of us. Tile floors, mini fridge and microwave sitting on top of it. Flat screen TV (never tried it), no clock of any sort.

Bathroom - tiled walk-in shower with frosted glass door, very small counter space partly taken up by the small coffee maker. One bath towel. I did ask the front desk for more, and they quickly and politely remedied the situation. Towels were pretty threadbare.

Very comfortable bed - either a double or a queen, not sure. We could hear a lot of noise from people partying on the street below, which didn't settle down until well after midnight.

Small closet, and the door couldn't be opened all the way due to lack of space between it and the bed. There was a safe in the closet that supposedly operates using the key card, but it wouldn't work for us for some reason.

The room had fresh paint and was reasonably clean, so obviously they're trying to keep it up. I just object to paying such a stupid amount of money for it.

Pictures are below. $400? Really?!?

Room Tip: I got nuthin'. :(
2  Thank 3pt5woman
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Amazing, helpful, sweet staff! The young man that helped us was amazing! Funny and sweet! Room was beautiful with a breathtaking view! I've stayed there twice and can't wait to come back!!! Thankyou for making our visit to Santa Cruz extra special:)

• Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed 15 June 2014

We arrived late and Dane at the front desk was so friendly....we already felt at home. Very professional yet warm, When we got to our room, the door wouldn't open and apparently the battery needed replacing in the door. Since it was so late he upgraded us to the Presidential Suite at the back of the hotel which is a very large room with a fireplace, jacuzzi tub and lots of windows. The room is sorely needing updating...but since we only paid for a regular room it was ok. The continental breakfast is nice. The next day I was walking outside on the sidewalk and saw the room we were supposed to have and was really bummed. I could have sat outside and literally been across the street from the beach. Great location. The Boardwalk is so close you can walk within a couple of blocks. We walked downtown which is a bit longer of a walk but doable...and there are trolley shuttles for $.25 to get within 2 blocks of the hotel. Met new management/owner and it seems like they are excited to bring life to the hotel. I look forward to seeing what they do with it.

1  Thank aznmom
Reviewed 12 June 2014

We stayed in a room with a patio across the street from the beacht the view was incredible. The room was clean and very nice, culd use some updating. Breakfast was included, but not much offered. Had to waite until 4pm to get into room.

• Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed 12 June 2014

If you ever wanted to find a place that is so perfect, this is the place! I just love everything about this inn. From it's old style architecture, to it's wide range of different styles of rooms. The buildings are of an old spanish design and they are terraced. With large windows and private patios, this place is perfect for family and romantic get-aways alike. It sits catty corner from the boardwalk and the wharf and just a stone throw away from the shopping district. And the staff have only ever been great, from start to finish in every way.
This is one place you just have to try, really it is the nicest place to stay by far in Santa Cruz.

Room Tip: The third floor terrace room is one of my favorite, but there are so many fantastic rooms. They even...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple