“Any port in a storm.....maybe”

Surf City Inn & Suites
Ranked #47 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Had a last minute emergency trip to Santa Cruz and needed a place to stay. Its graduation time at UCSC and hotels are tough to find especially on a Saturday night. The room next door sounded like it had 30 people in it partying and music blaring until 230 in the morning. The Harley with straight pipes in the lot at 2am was also a nice touch. The room was as clean as it can be without replacing fixtures, drapes, carpet and the like....the shower valve handle was falling off and after tightening it, it took about 5 minutes of the water running to get hot water. The desk clerk was friendly and service was fine. THe property overall is in DESPERATE need of a complete update of all furniture and finishes inside and out...but for 100 bucks I got what I paid for.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
KPGM, General Manager at Surf City Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2014

Dear John T,

I would like to apologize for our poor service to you. Our #1 priority is guest satisfaction, Please accept my deepest apologizes for not meeting & exceeding your expectations. I would like to inform you that we are currently renovating our rooms. I think you will be surprised once renovations are complete, I truly hope you give us a second chance.

KP
GM

Reviewed 20 January 2014

When booking the room i had a room with 2 queen beds and a sofa. there is no such room type. pool was nice 4 blocks from beach. just taken over by choice hotels. lots of remodling going on. good stay.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Christopher S
Reviewed 12 November 2013

Guy at the counter was not very friendly. Tried to make race comments about us not being able to stay there. Rooms were disgusting, loud, people everywhere. Bring your own soap, the crap they provide is disgusting. Wont stay there again, especially for that price. It was more of a 50 dollar stay. We paid more that double that. I would love my money back for certain.

Room Tip: Go Somewhere else... Seriously.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Kris C
Reviewed 2 October 2013

We arrived to find no toilet paper in the room! After a long car ride I had to make my kids wait so I could go to the front office and get some toilet paper. I was told 3 months prior to our vacation they would provide a roll-away bed because we are a family of 5. When I arrived they girl at the counter said they don't do roll-away beds. I told her I had confirmed they did and she said I must have been told that by a woman who no longer works there. Bathroom was half painted, it looked like someone had gotten distracted and didn't finish. The shower was filthy! Soap scum everywhere. Soap residue still on tub. People upstairs looked like they lived there because their underwear was drying on the railing. Neighbors were up all night partying and smoking marijuana. This place is a joke and you should never stay here. Very dangerous for kids!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Christie F
Reviewed 26 September 2013

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed 24 August 2013

Am I on candid camera??? Lets start by saying I am not picky at all so I am hoping you heed my warning about this place. I didnt take other reviews seriously, but they are not kidding. Check in took 45 minutes with a rude young lady at the desk who couldn't find my online reservation, gave someone a key to another persons room-who they walked in on while the person was getting dressed! Then the person occupying the room had to get another key because their key would no longer work. She then proceeded to help other patrons that came in after me first all this in the first 45 minutes. She was VERY rude! There is more but I can't fit it all in here. The room is large but stained and dirty and has a weird smell. Definitely not recommended. Pay extra and stay elsewhere.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Melissa C
Reviewed 5 August 2013

Didn't even get greeted at the front office. Bad management....got a different price over the phone...asked for an email confirmation and never got it although they claim to have sent it twice which is BULL#!¥#!!
Very very dirty looking should've went to a motel 6 would've been much cleaner for my kids. I wouldn't stay here again even if it was a free room. Bathroom was stinky and wall was moldy. Blanket had stains. Carpet was dirty. Read the reviews and had some good and bad reviews so I thought I give it the benefit of the doubt but I wished I hadn't. Oh forgot to mention that my room wasn't even ready at 4pm when check in is at 3. Got here early at 2:30 and didn't want to pay an extra $30 for early check in so we went down the street to grab a bite to eat only to come to a room still occupied by the cleaning lady. I don't even want to go look at the pool!! I'm glad for those that had a pleasant stay I only wish me and my family had one too!! I don't recommend any family with young ones to stay here. We had to put the blanket from the bed onto the floor so my kids can walk around the rooms. How sad is that!?!?!? Oh forgot to mention that the lock/latch on our front window didnt work either. Definitely stay away from this place! Yuck!

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Sillygirls123
KPGM, General Manager at Surf City Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2013

Dear Guest,

From your review it is concerning to us that you had a bad experience at our hotel and I will look into the confusion at the Front Desk regarding your reservation and lack of confirmation. The Housekeeping and Maintenance departments are working hard every day to clean and maintain the property and if a guest is unhappy about a particular room, changing rooms is an alternative. The new ownership took over just before the peak Summer Season and with it being so busy and rooms occupied, has not had the opportunity to renovate the rooms as yet. Should your travels bring you back to Santa Cruz in the New Year, come see Beachway’s new look in the future.

KP, General Manager