“Not nice”

Surf City Inn & Suites
Ranked #47 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 28 July 2014

The positive thing was the room had 2 separate rooms, one for each queen bed. But the room stank of some repulsive smell. No, you don't get used to it after sleeping with it. Noisy young kids walked past the room most of the night, yelling and laughing. This place appeals to young kids, maybe because it's cheap? We were in town for a special event (Wharf to Wharf race), so the hotel gouged us over $200 for a repulsive room. Never again.

Room Tip: Get a room on the second floor, far from the stairs. It won't help much, but maybe a little.
1  Thank PeterBSanFrancisco

Reviewed 21 July 2014

It did not look as nice as the picture, there was one queen bed and a roll away couch with stains on blanket not two beds. A metal box where air conditioning unit should have been and paint was chiped around the floor boards. Old furniture, noisy with paper thin walls. We had to pay $432 for two nights and they said they couldn't do anything about the noisy neighbors over us with kids running around the balcony with door open until 11:30 pm. Worst place I've ever stayed in!! I would give it minus one star.

1  Thank 657forest
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Stained carpet, urine smell, literally holes in the wall, and some strange melted brown substance in the closet. My room was a bio-hazard. PLUS, 18% tax!! Free wifi was slow and sporadic. Not inexpensive either!!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank jo j
Reviewed 11 July 2014

The decor far exceeded my expectations; like entering a palace of the nawaab himself... The bathroom was a massive, pristine convenience. Brilliant gold taps, virginal white marble, a seat carved from ebony, a cistern full of Chanel No. 5, and a flunky handing me pieces of raw silk toilet roll. I am normally akin to sleeping on hard surfaces, so sleeping on a mattress that was sooo loose, so that I literally 'sunk in', made for an experience in itself. The well soundproofed walls ensured I had a good nights rest - I personally only heard thudding and thumping throughout the night - which is a lot less than I am used to. I have a keen eye for detail and I was quick to notice how the overpowering visual appeal of dirt, grime and chaos had been woven cunningly throughout the room. Personally for me, it's the little things in life that can sway you though; the microwave complete with food stains for me to eat for example - was a real unexpected treat...

On the other hand, unless you've literally just arrived in America direct from Dharavi (India) or you don't regularly sleep on a park-bench, in a doorway or at a homeless shelter, then I defer my review to the wisdom of the ancient Greeks. They wrote of a terrible container in which all the evils of the world were trapped. How prophetic they were. All they got wrong was the name: The Greeks called it "Pandora's Box", when, of course, they meant "Econolodge, Santa Cruz".

5  Thank Capt-Obvi0us
Reviewed 17 June 2014

To start the guy at the front desk was rude and had no customer service skills. I asked him if we could look at a room before we checked in to make sure it was clean because he said he could not guarantee that the rooms would be clean. Second he seems to treat the prostitute better than he was treating my sister and I, who were trying to rent two rooms. Since he was not able to help us, we checked in to the hotel across the street. All day and night I saw shady characters coming and going from the hotel. Glad that the guy was so rude so that I didn't stay. I recommend going to the days inn next door.. This is a terrible place.

• Stayed: June 2014
3  Thank heavenawaitsme
KPGM, General Manager at Surf City Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2014

Dear Guest,

I would like to apologize for the way we treated you, I would like to assure you that customer service and guest satisfaction is our #1 priority. We consider our property a family friendly one, and always want our guests to feel safe and secure. I hope that you will consider us for your next visit to Santa Cruz.

KP

Reviewed 17 June 2014

Had a last minute emergency trip to Santa Cruz and needed a place to stay. Its graduation time at UCSC and hotels are tough to find especially on a Saturday night. The room next door sounded like it had 30 people in it partying and music blaring until 230 in the morning. The Harley with straight pipes in the lot at 2am was also a nice touch. The room was as clean as it can be without replacing fixtures, drapes, carpet and the like....the shower valve handle was falling off and after tightening it, it took about 5 minutes of the water running to get hot water. The desk clerk was friendly and service was fine. THe property overall is in DESPERATE need of a complete update of all furniture and finishes inside and out...but for 100 bucks I got what I paid for.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo

Dear John T,

I would like to apologize for our poor service to you. Our #1 priority is guest satisfaction, Please accept my deepest apologizes for not meeting & exceeding your expectations. I would like to inform you that we are currently renovating our rooms. I think you will be surprised once renovations are complete, I truly hope you give us a second chance.

KP
GM

Reviewed 20 January 2014

When booking the room i had a room with 2 queen beds and a sofa. there is no such room type. pool was nice 4 blocks from beach. just taken over by choice hotels. lots of remodling going on. good stay.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family