“Great food... service - meh”
Review of Surfrider Cafe

Surfrider Cafe
Ranked #24 of 374 Restaurants in Santa Cruz
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
“Great food... service - meh”
Reviewed 21 May 2014

Food was outstanding!.. good sized portions and the avocado fries were made to perfection. The food had great flavor and was just an absolute treasure of a place to eat at...

However, the service was pretty bad. We were waiting for a table for about 45 minutes when it honestly didn't need to take that long if certain tables were adjusted. I understand it's busy and i'm not a pushy type of person... but, let's be honest.. it didn't need to take that long.

The waitress forgot quite a bit of things and we understood because she was running around... but she didn't have THAT many tables. What I was able to surmise was that she was running around because she would actually forget a lot of what people were asking for haha.

Aside from that... it's tasty and well worth giving the place a try if you're out in the area. Unless, you're a person that puts service over food ... then buckle your seat belts folks.

Visited April 2014

Fresno, CA
“I'm looking forward to eating more there.”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Very possible this place is deserving of 5 Stars, but I've only been here once. If Trip Advisor would let me I'd give it a 4.5.

FOOD
It was hard to choose, there's many great-looking things on the menu. I went with the special, which was Chipotle Sliders - beef patty mixed with onions, cheddar, and chipotle; then topped with pepperjack and fried onion strings. Very delicious.

DRINKS
I'm not sure if it's their own beer, but it's definitely local craft beer, and it's tasty.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank superjosh
Pismo Beach, California, USA
“Great burgers!”
Reviewed 15 April 2014

It was one of the best tasting burgers I have ever had. Small, funky place, but the servers were all very nice.

Visited April 2014
Kalispell, Montana
“Excellent food, customer service was slim to none”
Reviewed 2 April 2014

I went to Santa Cruz for a hot, sunny, spring break vacation. The trip was lovely, and the people of the city were friendly and informative. We decided to try Surfrider Cafe for dinner on the evening of Tuesday April 1, 2014. The food was excellent, however the service was wretched. I ordered a Diet Coke and a water to drink. My table all got our waters' quickly, but I had to ask for the Diet Coke 3 times total. Our waitress seemed to view us as a complete waste of her time, and I hate to say it but her tip reflected it. I greatly hope the waitress can improve her attitude and personality for the guests of the restaurant, as the satisfaction of the restaurant went completely downhill due to the waitress.

• Visited April 2014
Monterey, California
“A Must Try”
Reviewed 9 March 2014

My family and I found ourselves in Santa Cruz during an impromptu Saturday drive. I read review for several different restaurants in the area and chose this one. We did not regret it. I am now obsessed with avocado fries! The staff was attentive and knowledgeable and the food and beer were delicious.

• Visited March 2014