“Central Coast Gem”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 1 June 2013 via mobile

Behind the very deceptively bland exterior is a real find in great food, atmosphere, and service.

My observations after a terrific time with local friends who were anxious to try it last night:

Great choices: stinking rose pizzette, flatiron steak, licorice root cream strawberry dessert and sweet tea. Also the fabulous bread basket brought to the table (love the spicy cornbread!)

Good but not great: crawfish cakes appetizer

Atmosphere/decor: Colorful Classic country music albums

Service: personable and attentively fast

Reviewed 20 May 2013

Using local sustainable produce and meet, each dish is just to die for. A must in the Central Coast.

2  Thank Krysia H
Reviewed 28 April 2013

This is our favorite restaurant! Every time we return we are reminded of how consistently good this place is. My husband ordered Elk steak and it was incredibly delicious and tender. We always order their irrestible appetizers and salads. The salads are made from the freshest, organic greens and the presentation is so appealing. The wine list is excellent. And, we always finish our meal with one of their amazing and creative desserts. The service is always outstanding with the staff being very friendly and knowledgeable about all of the food and wine. The motto here is good wine with a country atmosphere - the music, the decor and the attitude is a reflection of this. Dining here is such a great experience! No reservations! No credit cards! But worth the wait! Buen Provecho!

1  Thank Jill6843
Reviewed 13 April 2013 via mobile

Went to the range for my husbands birthday,with are great friends. Had a salad and filet it was fabulous everything was so good. Birthday desert rhubarb with ginger shell and ice cream.The range does not take reservations so give yourself lots of time.no credit cards accepted. The patio area is inclosed with heaters very nice inside great for couples.great wine list. The range is a treat for special occasions the range has an eclectic but very cool atmosphere

Reviewed 12 April 2013

We have lived in the San Luis Obispo area for about a year now, and spent lots of time here before making it official. All during that time, we kept hearing about the little restaurant in Santa Margarita that everyone must loves....The Range.
Well we drove by it atleast 6 times on our way to the lake to hike, and never spotted it. That's how small we are talking.
Finally found it one day and made a decision to definitely put it on the top of the list. Last night we finally got over to enjoy dinner there with another couple.
Since they don't take reservations and we were told "it's always packed", we opted to call on the way over to let them know we were a party of 4. Upon arrival it was apparent that this Thursday evening it was not "Packed". There were lots of seats to choose from at the long farm style tables that actually seated up to about 10 folks at a time. You share your experience here.....
We were seated immediately and never joined by any other "folks". Unfortunately there was just one happy waiter in the room and we didn't actually get menus for about 15 minutes. No worries. Mr. Cowboy Hat was over to us soon enough.
The menu is very different then the atmosphere. It offers a good selection of wines by the glass, a very good selection by the bottle, and some beers. The corkage fee is a nominal $15. Very nice.
The food on the menu is an eclectic mix of down home meets nouveau. Salads with local artisan cheeses, appetizers that sound mouthwatering with unusual ingredients, and a nice varied entrée selection, heavy on the beef (no surprise).
We started with the Goat Cheese and Red Pepper creation served with crostini, really yummy if not a bit too garlicy. Bread of different types was served with a very creamy butter. For my entrée I ordered the Elk and was glad I did. It was prepared perfectly, rare as I requested and so tender. The garlic mashed, unlike the app, were light on the garlic, and I appreciated it. The veggies were firm and hot. In fact the entire plate was really right from the kitchen to our table. Impressive.
My husband had the Flank Steak which I tasted and he finished to almost licking the plate, Very well executed.
All in all, though tempted by dessert, we were full and had a nice experience. I imagine that on weekend nights it is hard to get in, so it was good to go on an off evening. I would recommend The Range to groups. I don't think it's so much a date night spot. Just a little too "Woody's Roundup" for that. But friends, wine, good food and a fun atmosphere are perfect for this place.

1  Thank Nancy46648