“Nothing special”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 13 December 2013

Given the very good selection of restaurants in Orcutt, traveling the 5 miles to Santa Maria for dinner at the Santa Maria Inn turned out to not be worth the trip. To begin, the restaurant was just about empty, yet we were seated at a table with no napkins, no pepper, and no centerpiece. We were there early enough for their early special, $22.00 for salad, entree, and dessert. One of my friends and I had the green salad, described on the menu as having greens, tomatoes, cucumber, etc. We each received a bowl of lettuce swimming in dressing. When we mentioned it to the waitress she just giggled and apologized, but no explanation was offered. Two of my friends had the stroganoff, while I had the shrimp. Imagine my surprise when my shrimp entree (NOT appetizer) consisted of two shrimp. Yes, two. The shrimp were overcooked, stuffed with something that was supposed to be clams but was mostly breadcrumbs. The shrimp were served with sauteed spinach. Dessert (no choices) was creme brulee, and it was just average and a very small portion. I am give this an average review rather than poor because the atmosphere is very peaceful and pleasant, and we were able to linger at our table for quite some time without being disturbed. However I would recommend skipping the Santa Maria Inn and trying Trattoria Uliveto, Rooneys or Passion in Orcutt, just 5 miles down the road.

2  Thank Stuffinmama

Reviewed 25 October 2013

They serve late breakfast so it was the perfect start to my vacation. The waiter was helpful in offering suggested routes and places to stay.

Reviewed 12 August 2013

I was staying at the Inn, and since Santa Maria is not your culinary Mecca, I decided to eat at The Garden Room. Besides, a couple of my wine clubs have emailed me regarding winemaker dinners there. I now know to skip those winemaker dinners.

When I arrived about 7:30 p.m. the parking lot to the hotel was full, but there was only one couple seated in the dining room. That should have been my first clue. My server was freindly and prompt, and checked back a couple of times. During my time at dinner I noticed there were three servers, and only four tables were seated, including mine, as long as I was there. Tough for the servers to make a buck that way.

The salad was a salad--they're never great, and hard to screw up. The "prime" Beef Stroganoff was mixed. The pappardelle had the texture of house made and worked well with the sauce. I asked the server if they were house made. She wasn't sure. She didn't check and get back to me on that question. The "prime" beef, however, was an abomination. It was thin, overcooked smal pieces of dry meat like you get in a French Dip sandwich, only much smaller. The sauce couldn't spice it up. Ugh! I had three or four pieces of it, and thereafter contented myself with finishing the pasta. Two glasses of pinot noir, and the whole bill was only $61.25--not bad if the beef were indeed prime and well-prepared. My former in-laws were Russian. They always used good meat, and cut it in chunks, not thin slivers as the chef did here.

1  Thank John O
Reviewed 4 August 2013

Service was fine. Food was mediocre. Try looking around elsewhere in town. The hotel is fine though....

Reviewed 6 June 2013

My wife and I, got away for the week-end from all the noise and work..! We could not decide where we would eat, but we went into the lobby not wanting to leave the hotel. We wanted to try the Sunday brunch and what a great choice. I had the Chilaquiles with bean, "BOY" they had a kick on hot flavor with jalapenos what a thrill for me.. My wife, had the pan cakes with blue-berries. They serve great portions that she koved her food so of course she had to take some home in a box. The mimosas, and bread basket..oooh wow.. you just have to try them out. Which we did mimosas kept coming and bread we had to ask for another basket.. If you stay at the inn, make sure you stop and ask for Kari.. Great server.. and great knowledge on Santa Maria and especially the Inn..