“Nice stay, good value but a couple of quirks.”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Santa Maria Inn

Santa Maria Inn
Ranked #3 of 21 Hotels in Santa Maria
Los Angeles, California
“Nice stay, good value but a couple of quirks.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2008

We stayed at the Santa Maria Inn while in the area for a weekend of wine tasting. I contacted the hotel directly and booked a N/S King in the "historic" part of the property. I also booked the hotel's Wine Package.

Overall impression is good and it's a terrific value. Reception was friendly and helpful. The property itself is fairly well maintained and comfortable. We had a corner room on the ground floor in the original hotel building which dates back to 1917. I really liked the room. It was spacious with windows on two walls and looked out over the courtyard and fountain. Very comfortably furnished with an updated bathroom. There is high speed internet in the room however it is a wired connection with a fairly long network cable. We did pick up a good strong wireless connection which appeared to be provided by the hotel.

The major failing for me was the condition of the hallway leading to our room. They are using several of the banquet rooms behind the restaurant as food prep or storage areas and every time we went to our room we felt like we were walking through the kitchen. Plus the floor is covered with plastic matting which only added to the industrial feeling.

As I mentioned, we booked the wine package which included full buffet breakfast for each day plus we received complimentary wine tastings in the Wine Cellar and a discount on any wine purchases. The best value though was th packet of coupons we received with free tasting at approx 12 wineries. And we were provided with a delicious boxed lunch which we enjoyed at one of the wineries. If I remember correctly the additional cost was $30 for the package so definitely a great value.

I would absolutely stay here again and can easily recommend it to my friends.

• Liked — Location and the hotel's Wine Package
  • Disliked — Walking through the kitchen to get to my room
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank lorenber

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Long Beach
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2008

I stayed here over a busy President's Day weekend in 2008, and they said they were in the midst of remodeling most of the older rooms, so this apparently did create some confusion, but there were still problems that I encountered that made me disappointed.
I received a last-minute booking for the weekend due to a glitch in their computer system which can apparently lead the clerks to believe a room is open when it's not. (Hello, Earth to hotel manager, get this fixed!) Fortunately, they keep an extra room in reserve for their apparent numerous problems on this level. When I was checking in, I heard other people complaining about reservations problems. I was also told when I checked out that it was ridiculous for the clerk to think this room was open as all of the older rooms were being remodeled and were closed. Hopefully, if I ever return again, all the remodeling issues will be over with. The room they gave me was up on the 5th floor in the new room tower and was very nice and roomy and clean. So I can't fault them too much on the glitch issue.

This is sort of an out of the way place if you're doing the wine tasting route all over Santa Ynez, but the charm of the garden area and the fact they allow dogs is a plus. I tried to eat dinner for the first time in their dining room, and once again they were having a problem because they're also remodeling their kitchen, so they couldn't accommodate that many people in their dining room (or so they said.) I stood there for 10 minutes and was ignored, my name not even taken. This was actually a fortuitous event. When I asked in the lobby about the possibility of getting room service food, someone recommended Shaw's Restaurant across the street. Great tip! It's an awesome locals steakhouse with delicious Santa Maria seasoned steaks and tri-tip.

In the morning when I had my free breakfast buffet I arrived late (10:30), but they still got me a few breakfast items. They were readying for their Sunday brunch later (which is delicious, by the way), and the manager was YELLING so loudly at the staff I could hardly wait to get out of there. Even if there's just one customer around, don't you think it's rude to do that? You're showing in front of your customers how disrespectful you are to your staff and how insecure you are.

Anyway, I think this place could be a lot better with a management overhaul. Hint to owner.

• Liked — I like their gardens and the fact they accept dogs
  • Disliked — Poor management, room reservation problems, dining room problems, yelling manager
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Happywanderer
california
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2008

I'm with triscuitboy - this place is trying to look like a much nicer hotel than it is. It looks very posh as you drive in, and the lobby area has been nicely remodeled, but the room we stayed in was in need of remodeling, and oddly cheap overall in little ways -- I had to sleep in full pajamas because the sheets were so scratchy, the towels were equally scratchy and made my skin itch, and the pillows felt like giant Styrofoam lumps. Both the refrigerator and the air-conditioning unit were so loud as to be completely unusable. On the plus side, the staff was nice when we complained.
None of these things would've been a big deal if the hotel had been some inexpensive chain or in a major city or tourist destination. But for $156 (excluding tax) in a small town miles from wine country, a traveler's got a right to expect more.

• Stayed February 2008
1 Thank travelinggirl14
UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2007

We stayed in a double room here as a overnight hop-off point on our 3 day long highway-1 self drive LA- SFO expedition in Feb'07.
Hotel is located on the main road , had no difficulty in locating with free parking. Rooms were of good size with free internet access. The is a free buffet breakfast offered in the morning with good enough selection of fruits/breads and juice though hot selections are limited. Overall, we would recommend this hotel for highway-1 expediters.

Stayed February 2007
1 Thank q4quality
california
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2007

Kinda cheesy, like it wants to be a nice hotel but isn't. It will do in a pinch. Nice staff.

Stayed December 2007
2 Thank triscuitboy
Manhattan Beach, CA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2007

overall a nice place with friendly staff, but I would not stay here again. we had a room in the new tower with 2 queen beds. The mattresses were barely more comfortable than sleeping on the floor - they were SO HARD !! be advised, unless you like really firm mattresses. There were 3 of us in the family and no one slept well.

• Liked — good location for the central coast area
  • Disliked — rock hard mattresses
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled with family
2 Thank carolatthebeach
Antony, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2007

We only spent one night in this hotel but if we had time we would stay more time!

It is beautiful, rooms are airy and clean, staff is very nice and restaurant is excellent. No more thing to tell about it except that some movie stars stayed in this hotel.

• Liked — Hotel by itself (style)!!!
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple