“Worth it!”

Ranked #3 of 21 Hotels in Santa Maria
Chicago, IL
“Worth it!”
Reviewed 28 March 2014

I enjoyed my brief stay at the Santa Maria Inn. It's a great value. I stayed in the "traditional" (i.e. older) side of the hotel. The room was small, but they fit a tremendous amount of very nice, functional, furniture into the space. Honestly, the only complaint I would have about the room is the lack of soundproofing around the door (I could hear everything out in the hallway, and I could hear everything in the rooms I passed when I was walking down the hallway). However, the bed was so comfortable that I slept through all of the noise that may have been out there. And I couldn't hear a peep from the rooms next door to me.

The hotel layout is a little confusing, but the staff is happy to show you the way. There's a nice little restaurant and coffee bar onsite, as well as a variety of other shops. I also loved the amenities - the bath products provided were fantastic! I don't usually use hotel shampoos/lotions, but I absolutely loved the lotion provided by this hotel. I stayed over a Saturday night, and ended up with an entire Sunday paper at my door the next morning. Most hotels don't provided papers on the weekend, and I greatly appreciated the small touches like that.

Overall, this place isn't perfect, but it's a great historic hotel at a wonderful value!

Room Tip: Traditional rooms are in the historic part of the hotel, and are rather small and somewhat noisy due...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
HistoricManager, Manager at The Historic Santa Maria Inn, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
What a wonderfully detailed review of your stay! Thank you so much for all the kind words! We agree, our beds are SO amazing! We get so many positive reviews about them, that we even started selling them! We also agree about the bathroom products, they are great!
We really appreciate you mentioning to us that the door could use better sound proofing, we will make sure to let our engineering department know of this.

We hope to see you in the next time you are in our area!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Whittier Ca
Reviewed 22 March 2014

We have been here many times. It is no frills and dependable. The rooms are comfortable and clean. We like to stay in the older part, close to the pool. The gardens are beautiful and well kept. It's a pleasure to enjoy the roses and other flowers while sitting at the pool. The downstairs wine bar is comfortable and has a good selection of local vintages. Another plus is that Shaw's Steakhouse is across the street. They have a great tri-tip and early bird specials.

Room Tip: We like the rooms in the older section near the pool and gardens
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time to review your most recent stay. We are so glad that you continuously enjoy yourselves! Reviews like yours are always our favorite to read, nothing makes us happier than hearing that our repeat guests always enjoy their time with us!
Provo, Utah
Reviewed 17 March 2014

My wife and I were very pleased with our stay at the Santa Maria Inn. We had one of the 2nd floor King Suites, and for the price, it was a great deal. When you come to this hotel, remember that is a historic building, so it is older. It is not like staying in a top of the line Marriott, but it is beautiful. It is not a cookie-cutter hotel, so if that is what you are looking for, you should go elsewhere, but if you enjoy older hotels that have been kept up, and are a very good value, then you should consider this one. The beds are very good, it is clean, and best of all, it has character. It's courtyard is beautiful. It has a nice gym, and nice pool.

Room Tip: We choose a corner king suite on the 2nd floor. If you ask for one of those, they come with a balco...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank salupm1
HistoricManager, Manager at The Historic Santa Maria Inn, responded to this review, 19 March 2014
Thank you SO much for that wonderful review! We appreciate all the positive things you had to say about your stay with us! You are correct, we definitely are not cookie cutter, we have almost 100 years of charm, nostalgia and more to offer!

Florida
Reviewed 19 February 2014

I was very pleased and satisfied with my recent stay at the Santa Maria inn. I chose it because of its proximity to my daughters home. Admittedly , I was also intrigued by its history and supposed hauntings. I elected to stay in the original building because, quite frankly, what's the point of staying in an historic hotel if you're not going to experience the original rooms? If you MUST have a bigger room, you should stay at a Hampton Inn. But I digress. I found my room (238), with a king bed, and balcony, to be very clean and comfortable and perfect for myself and my husband and obviously good enough for Clark Gable and Carol Lombard. The bed was comfy, the refrigerator was great to hold water, etc. I never used the coffee maker or microwave, but those were available to us as well. The large TV was fine as well. So, again I ask, why would anyone NOT stay in these rooms? The hotel does have a hauntingly feel to it, but other then my room lights shutting off by themselves, I didn't experience any ghosts. I might want to mention that the light switches are on motion detectors and will shut off automatically to preserve energy I'm assuming. Sorry to disappoint all you ghost hunters. There is a Starbucks available in the lobby which was perfect for any tea/coffee urges. The Wine Cellar is a great place for a drink as is the Taproom. I did partake in the breakfast buffett which I found very fresh and worth the price. I treated myself to dinner in the garden room one evening. A little pricey, but the food was very good. If I had any complaints at all it was the service in the Garden Restaurant. For the prices, I would expect better service. For example, upon greeting us our waiter asked if "we knew what we wanted" without ever asking if we wanted a drink or cocktail to start with. Once he got our drink order, it took forever to get them (and it wasn't at all crowded). Dessert came sans the coffee/tea we ordered. Waiter came with our check (after we already finished dessert) and we had to remind him we still wanted our tea/coffee. For a place this pricey, how about investing in some experienced wait staff. One more thing regarding past reviews saying the neighborhood is not great. This is the Carriage district which is a desirable area of Santa Maria. I walked to and from my daughters hOme during day and night and NEVER felt uneasy. Also across the street is the Pantry, a great family style restaurant for breakfast, lunch or dinner. All in all a good stay.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
HistoricManager, Manager at The Historic Santa Maria Inn, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Thank you so much for the very detailed review of your most recent stay. We appreciate all the kind words you had to say about your room and experiences. We are sorry to hear that your service in our Garden Room was not up to par. We take all feedback, both positive and negative very seriously and will make sure to address all your very valid points in our next meeting.
We also agree that this is a nice, safe neighborhood and appreciate you stating this as well.
Rekem, Belgium
Reviewed 7 February 2014

We spent just one night. The hotel is dated, the room wasn't that clean, the bathroom was very basic. We didn't had breakfast, just a coffee at a counter in the hotel. The staff was helpful and friendly.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
HistoricManager, Manager at The Historic Santa Maria Inn, responded to this review, 12 February 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. Very happy that you liked our staff.
Warwick, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 February 2014 via mobile

On a business trip so just wanted a reasonable priced hotel for the night and this fitted the request exactly. I thought it was very good value with friendly staff. There is also a fantastic streak house just over the road. Yes the windows are a bit dirty but then I did not spend the time looking out of them during the night!

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
HistoricManager, Manager at The Historic Santa Maria Inn, responded to this review, 3 February 2014
Thanks so much for taking the time to post your 5 star review! We are a perfect place to stay if you're here on business, etc because of our great location!
We hope that you will stay with us again soon!
Monrovia
Reviewed 28 January 2014

First stay at the hotel, and after reading some of the reviews here at Tripadvisor; I decided to book a room. Our plan was to go wine tasting in the Santa Maria/ Santa Ynes area; and the location was perfect. The neighborhood is not great, but is not bad; the local high school is next door, so it can't be too bad.
The place is an old hotel, but it has a lot of character; we enjoyed having a drink at the wine cellar, the bartender was great. I picked a room at the tower, which are the newer rooms; and we got a corner room, it was big and very comfortable. I would say for the value it was well worth it, I can't say how many times we've stayed at cheap looking, but expensive, run-down hotels in the area; so this was a good value. Didn't have a chance to use the pool area, or some of the other facilities, but we did enjoy a nice Starbucks coffee on-site. This is the time we've stayed in Santa Maria, mainly because of better options on over night stays, that are reasonable and comfortable. Pismo and San Luis Obispo are just up the road, so if you are here for the weekend; it's easy to get there as well.

Room Tip: definitely try a corner room in the tower.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review! The rooms in our Executive Tower are very large and spacious! We are a perfect place to stay when you're going wine tasting! The Wine Cellar is a hidden gem-a great place to have a cocktail or glass of wine! Our Starbucks is perfect for getting some caffeine before hitting the tasting rooms, etc.

We really hope to see you again soon!