“Nice historic hotel”

The Historic Santa Maria Inn
Ranked #3 of 21 Hotels in Santa Maria
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed here as a stopping point between L.A. and San Francisco. The room was decent, but I wouldn't call it 4 stars. I would stay here again. Unfortunately during our stay there was a group of teens also staying. Not the hotels fault, just bad timing.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
HistoricManager, Manager at The Historic Santa Maria Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

We look forward to having you stay with us again and hope it is more enjoyable.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

What a delightful find! We needed a hotel for just one night in Santa Maria and happened upon the Historic Santa Maria Inn. The hotel is charming! The room was spacious and the beds were very comfortable. I loved the window seat!! The small refrigerator and coffee maker in room were appreciated. No additional charge for in-room internet access or parking. There is a restaurant on site as well as room service availability. Don't miss the little wine bar downstairs! Staff was friendly and more than helpful. If I'm ever back in this area, I will be staying nowhere else!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank luckme0
HistoricManager, Manager at The Historic Santa Maria Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2014

Thank you for such a great review. This is the type of review we really strive for! The staff here is always willing to go above and beyond for our guests. If you stay during the weekends we have entertainment in the Tap Room on Friday and Saturday nights. We look forward to seeing you on your next stay!

Reviewed 21 July 2014

We stayed one night. When we arrived, we entered through the rear of the hotel which was poorly lit. Not welcoming. The garbage bin was there and left a foul odor throughout the parking lot.

The hotel decor is in serious need of updating. It could be done in a way which preserves the historic feel and character. However, the carpeting throughout the hotel was really ugly. Everything seemed a bit dirty.

The room was seriously old and smelled musty. The decor of the bathroom was old and needs updating. I expected more for the price I paid.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Angela S

Thank you for your feedback. I am disappointed to hear you did not have a good experience. The trash cans around the hotel and parking garage are emptied throughout the day so I'm not sure what happened with the trash can having an odor. I did inform the maintenance department of this issue so they can make sure this does not happen again.

The carpet throughout the lobbies was replaced just over a year ago and I can assure you we have a designated person to clean these areas daily. Perhaps on your next stay you might want to try staying in the executive tower which may accommodate your needs better. I hope you will give us another chance if you are ever in the area.

Reviewed 17 July 2014

Highly recommend staying at historic Santa Maria Inn in central part of California. Moment I drove up saw the grounds and exterior, I knew I would not be disappointed. Lobby has 1900 century warm feel to itand the staff are very friendly and helpful. The inn offers fine dining (did not eat here) a couple bars to relax over laughter and drinks. There is an exercise room, did not make utilize it. I did enjoy the pool and I got my exercise and few ray there.

My room was spacious and beds were very comfortable. Last was important to me, as I was on business trip. Of course there is a flat screen tv, that operated well. Although, on demand movies (already to video) was $15 each, a bit pricey in my opinion.

Overall, I have great stay and in a hotel filled with memories of yesteryear.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank michael d
HistoricManager, Manager at The Historic Santa Maria Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Thank you for writing such a great review! We are glad you appreciated the old-world charm of the hotel. Hopefully next time you stay you will be able to enjoy the delicious food at the Garden Room Restaurant.

We look forward to seeing you on your next stay!

Reviewed 22 June 2014

I've stayed at the Historic Santa Maria Inn before, and always find it to be charming, clean, warm, inviting and with friendly and helpful staff. Recently, they've upgraded their sixth floor suites. I was lucky enough to arrive a little early as the work crews were literally putting the finishing touches on several sixth floor rooms allowing me a unique opportunity to peek in several of them. They are all tastefully decorated as before with new carpet, wall paper, wall art and real wood furnishings. Even though so much is new, the rooms still give the impression of comfort and home. The rooms are very spacious with clean linens and an incredibly comfortable mattress. Two luxurious white terry-cloth robes are hung in the separate bedroom and there is plenty of closet space and towels. They've also upgraded their complimentary soaps and shampoos. The pool area is extremely clean. Something I really liked was that the same delicious menu items are available in your room, in the pub or in the dining room. I like that the inn is situated close to shopping, grocery stores and restaurants so you have that feeling, like you are a local. It is also not far from wonderful day trips such as to San Luis Obispo, or Santa Barbara. Not far are wine tasting rooms and unique vacation destinations like the Hurst Castle, the quaint town of Cambria, or a little saloon in Los Alamos that Michael Jackson filmed his "Say Say Say" video many years ago. The Historic Santa Maria Inn never disappoints.

Room Tip: If you have a family, you will find much room on the sixth floor or the corner rooms on the other fl...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank AlyLee2004
HistoricManager, Manager at The Historic Santa Maria Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Wow, what a fantastic review! This just made our day! Thank you so much for all the wonderful things you said about our upgrades! We have plans to update the rest of the our Executive Tower the end of 2014/beginning of 2015.
We hope to see you again soon and thank you for continuing to stay with us at the Historic Santa Maria Inn!

Cheers!

Reviewed 9 June 2014

The Santa Maria Inn was a delightful place to stay from an historic view point. I loved seeing a jewel of the early 1900's being revived and restored. I think this hotel is every bit as important historically speaking as Hurst Castle. There is a great deal of potential in this hotel, I hope the owners and management embrace and leverage the treasure they have.

The rooms were charming, with the narrow hallways and smaller size of yesteryear. But housekeeping needed to pay closer attention to details like mold on the window sills in the bathroom and grime on door frames and doors. Splashed coffee from the last guest should not greet the next visitor who walks into the bathroom, nor should yesterday's paper and bits of trash be on the floor outside the door when we arrived (made us wonder if this was someone else's room) and toys from the child who stayed here three weeks ago should not be hiding behind the entertainment cabinet. That said, the bedding was immaculate and the bed very comfortable, bathroom fixtures clean and sparkling, and the little touches like immaculate toweling folded in fans, and orange scented toiletries were very nice. It was a mix, for sure.

If I were running the show at this hotel, I would invest in some extra effort in landscaping the patio and garden areas. It has great event potential but the plantings are tired, the flowers needed dead heading, someone needs to really love on those gardens the way the historical information alludes that the original owners did. Its those kinds of touches that really make a hotel like this stand out from the rest. They aren't there yet, but I have faith that they are close, and hope that their intent is to ramp up their effort to give the spit shine this place deserves.

Staff was very friendly and most accommodating. The wine bar was really great, too many wonderful features to mention! I would stay again. I heartily recommend this hotel to the traveler who wants a special place to stay. My hope is that the work in progress continues and that management steps up their game to take this diamond in the rough, lovely hotel to the head of the class.

Room Tip: Id choose one of the original wing rooms, just for the sake of all who stayed there before you in th...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
HistoricManager, Manager at The Historic Santa Maria Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

Firstly, thank you so much for taking the time for this incredibly detailed review of your most recent stay. We always welcome all feedback, both positive and negative with open arms and will make sure that everything you addressed with get taken care of as soon as possible. The only way our hotel can grow and continue to be a better property is to hear what our guests reaction is.
We will make sure to pass on both your positive and not as positive comments to our managers.
We do hope that you will decide to stay with us again.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Not a whole lot going on in Santa Maria California but this place was great. We stayed in the newer part which was nice and roomy and clean and comfortable. Checked out the older part of the hotel which was nice and historic. The restaurant and bar were very comfortable and made our stay very convenient and enjoyable.

Room Tip: If you want quaint history, stay in the old part. If you want comfort and space stay in the newer si...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank food_roadie
HistoricManager, Manager at The Historic Santa Maria Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

Thank you so much for the detailed review! We would agree with your assessment of the different parts of our hotel!
We look forward to seeing you again soon!