“worst services in north america”

The Historic Santa Maria Inn
Ranked #3 of 21 Hotels in Santa Maria
Santa Maria
“worst services in north america”
Reviewed 23 July 2006

I reserve a room for my family, with a bed and two roller beds (It was late) over the phone.

We arrive at 1pm to see if everything was OK! and the people at the desk tell us yes, the room with be ready at 3pm. So we go to the beach, the restaurant, returning to the hotel at 8pm.

Surprise No room ! No bed ! No refund !

• Liked — Nothnig
  • Disliked — The stupid staff
  • Tips/Secrets — Keep away from this place
  • Stayed June 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank RunningAmerica

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Chino
Reviewed 29 May 2006

We just returned from a wine tasting weekend to the central coast and stayed at the Santa Maria Inn. We were a little aprehensive to book this hotel due to some of the reviews on this site. Fortunately, we were pleasantly surprised. We had a room in the tower which was very clean, nicely decorated, quite spacious and had a lovely view of the coastal mountains. The room had a nice dressing area with a sink, refrigerator, coffee maker and a large closet with an ironing station and extra pillows and linens. An additional sink was in the bathroom and it was vey nicely decorated with the towels nicely presented and lovely complementary Sandlewood toiletries. We travel quite often and have stayed in four star hotels that were not as nice as this property. This is, afterall, a 3 star property but was as nice as many 4 star properties we have stayed at. The historic grounds were quite lovely and well maintained. The pool had just been refinished and looked brand new. A very nice cabana area rounded out this area. The spa was being redone and was not quite finished, but was not obtrusive to atmosphere at the pool area.
The hotel is in an older area of the city but was quite safe and we walked to several restaurants in the area. No bugs or ghosts were in evidence and the staff was just average, but the overall experience was quite nice. We enjoyed the central area of the hotel and there is a very good restaurant across the street called Shaw's Famous that had very good BBQ tri tip which Santa Maria is famous for.

Overall, a very nice experience. At $119.00 per night this was a very excellent value for the money. We would reccomment this hotel, without hesitation.

• Stayed May 2006
4 Thank Steffenino
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 18 May 2006

I stayed at this hotel 2 nights on business, taking a room in the newer suites because they were non-smoking and much larger. I loved the Sandalwood soap, loved the clean smelling air (way better than a Motel 6!) and enjoyed the wide range of breakfast options including oatmeal, bacon, sausage, eggs (but a little undercooked), and great tasting fruit.

While the general historic features of the inn remain, the current management has mixed modern water fountains and furniture with historic elements - the result is horribly dissatisfying. But my opinion may be biased since I am both an archivist and an archaeologist specializing in Central California's (pre)history! From the historic photographs framed in the lobby, I have to say the turn of the century Inn had a much more fantastic entrance - the hotel management ought to consider reintroducing some of these elements. Fresh flowers would do the lobby good - it looks a little pale.

I went on a short tour of the historic end, and yes indeed the carpets are old and need to be replaced. No roaches or insects observed - and sorry, no paranormal activity either. The old carpet gives off a moldy smell, and that's enough to send anyone running out the door, no ghosts needed! I didn't see the interior of the rooms, though my coworker has stayed in those and says they're quite small and smell like cigarettes.

Lastly, the service here needs great improvement! The bellhop, Mike, is cheery and bright - but the other front desk staff are ill informed and unaware of what is happening around them. One young lady told me the jacuzzi was open until 10 - excitedly I ran down at 9:38 pm in my swimsuit only to arrive at a metal fence and ripped up pavement - the jacuzzi was undergoing renovations and she didn't even know what was happening right outside her office door! To boot, her manner of speaking was uncouth and unfitting for a place that claims to radiate an awe of mystery and romance. Don't depend on the Front Desk for your wakeup call either - they forgot to call our room, causing us to arrive 20 minutes late to an early a.m. meeting. No apologies offered! Also, the roomservice did not vacuum our room (we left sand on the floor and it was there when we returned), which makes me wonder if the sheets were changed as well...the furniture was just as we'd left it sitting by the window, and they forgot to leave soap. But the beds were made and tip taken, surely they were here - just not very attentive I guess.

Look, for the govt. rate, and confidnece that we were getting a smoke-free, mold-free room with a decent breakfast, this was a wonderful place to be. And what more do you need than a good night's rest anyway, right? All said and done, I'd come back again!

• Stayed May 2006, travelled on business
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 24 April 2006

The Santa Maria Inn is definately an old world hotel, but lacks the charm and sophistication of a great hotel. The hotel is dark throughout and has a pervasive, musty, stale cigarette kind of smell and carpets that are dirty and well worn. My room was quite small, with a shower that leaked water over the bathroom floor, very poor heating/cooling and nothing special to speak about really. If you are looking for a comfortable room with good amenities, then I suggest you stay elsewhere. I ate in the hotel restaurant one night; the staff were polite and efficient but the food was mediocre and overpriced.
At the end of my stay I happened to leave a leather jacket in my room; when I returned later the same day to collect it, it was gone. I will leave it to the reader to come to his own conclusion as to what happened to it. Personally, I doubt it was a ghost that took my jacket. The Hotel staff (including the manager) seemed to care little about my loss; perhaps it is commonplace at the Inn.

• Stayed March 2006, travelled on business
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
London
Reviewed 30 March 2006

We stayed here en route to San Diego. Accessiblle, very clean but a bit "Olde Worlde" England for our taste in the public areas; our room was large, and very comfortable, with an accessible bathroom. The staff were extremely pleasant and helpful, dealing with all our bags, both unloading and reloading the car the next morning.
We had supper and breakfast there and again, found the wait staff more than helpful - the food was fine, not gourmet, but plentiful, and we had no complaints.

• Stayed March 2006, travelled on business
5 Thank parfro
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 8 March 2006

When we booked in we had bad service, the room was large which was very nice apart from the carpet coming away from the wall and the bathroom was just about average. We had a meal in the restaurant which was below average, the breakfast in the morning was a buffet but not at all good. The lady who told us to "sit there" was very rude. I would not recommend and would not return to it.

• Stayed February 2006
4 Thank MargaretEScotlandUK
Irvine
Reviewed 27 February 2006

THE BAD NEWS:

I am a very light sleeper and requested a quiet room - or a room on the quiet side. I actually called back and requested this after my husband requested it when he book the room. They assured me I'd be put on a high floor and the rooms were quiet. When we checked in the front desk clerk said we'd be on the 3rd floor on the street side. I reiterated that I am a light sleeper and that I'd think that would be rather noisy since we were not being put on an upper floor as we were told when we booked. She assured me that thier rooms were sound proof. Of course, this was not the case.

We had taken the "Romance" package which included (a fairly cheap) bottle of champagne and a box of (hershey's) chocolate. Still a good bargain because it also includes breakfast. But we didn't drink the champange the first night. In the morning the bucket had leaked all over the table - so if you get this package or anything delivered to the room in an ice bucket - be sure not to put your electronics on the table.

The next morning we requested to move our room. The manager was very friendly and knocked $20 off our room and requested that we bring our things down and they would put them in our room when it was ready. I asked if I should bring the champagne glasses down. He said no that they would bring another bucket of ice and more glasses. When we brought everything down my husband again inquired about the champagne glasses and requested they put the champagne in the fridge. He said they'd bring an ice bucket. When we returned to our room that evening - you guessed it -- warm champagne and no glasses. Ugh! The manager took another $20 off.. but after 1 night of no sleep and the disappointment of paying $30 more for champagne that we weren't going to drink more we were a little unhappy.

Breakfast: If you get any of the breakfast packages - realize that you must eat breakfast by 9:30a. If you are like us and you want to sleep in on sunday and catch breakfast at 10a - your tickets are not valid and you will end up paying $17 for the brunch buffet. Granted, it is a nice spread with crab legs, shrimp, lox, sliced roast beef and an omelet bar (for starters). But it would be nice to know up front what the deal is rather than having to read the small print on the tickets - trust me - we were not the only guests who did not do this.

The bar is nice, but really for a younger crowd. It was very loud and included karoke. Apparently a big hang out for the local crowd so it was hopping.

THE GOOD NEWS:
That being said. We stayed in the tower and the rooms were very comfortable for hanging out in - nice windows in every room in the tower. The original rooms look very unique and historic - but we heard they are very small. The staff overall is very friendly - although not very informed. The manager is very nice and tries to accomodate. Had we not been so misinformed by the desk staff and we knew what to ask for coming in (like a non-street side room) we would have enjoyed our stay much more. My husband could sleep if a train came through the room and it didn't really bother him. The street side offers nicer views if you are a heavy sleeper - I'd recommend it - if you are a light sleeper - I definately wouldn't.

The hotel is not just a hotel - it is a piece of history and really very interesting. There are little shops all within the hotel and it is a very unique place to stay.

If you are touring the wine country - it is a good location. Its 30 minutes to solvang and many great wineries inbetween to tour and a beautiful drive if you take Foxen down to Los Olivos and into San Ynez and over to Solvang. Heck, even the 101 is a beautiful drive - but you hit more wineries down Foxen.

Overall, We'd probably stay there again - we really liked the manager, the restaurant staff, the location and the uniqueness of the hotel. But next time we know what to prepare for.

• Stayed February 2006