“Super Noisy!”

Ranked #4 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
Sydney, Australia
“Super Noisy!”
Reviewed 22 April 2014

We were allocated a room at the corner of 2 streets (Pico and ???) partially facing the the beach. The traffic noise was very disturbing. There are trucks and buses coming in and out. We can even hear people talking outside. Air condition is old and noisy. Internet speed is slow! For the money you paid for, it is not worth it. The staffs at breakfast were loud and appeared to be rushing all the time. They were shouting at each other across the breakfast area! The greeter at breakfast was not friendly. If you can't smile you should not be a greeter!

Room Tip: Please do not choose any room facing Pico street or the street under the bridge! There are trucks co...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Angel2112
GregoryDay, General Manager at Shutters on the Beach, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Dear Angel2112

Thank you for taking the time to reach out to us. We are truly sorry your stay did not live up to your expectations and our usual high standards. We always try to ensure the highest level of customer service in our restaurants and your comments will help us to improve. I assure you these issues have been addressed and we appreciate your invaluable feedback.

Gregory Day, General Manager
Shutters on the Beach

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (315)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Sydney
Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

The service was great when we checked in. The staffs were polite. We were give room with partial ocean view on 3rd floor. The room was clean and nicely presented. However, the sound insulation on the room was very very poor! We could not sleep due to traffic noise and people talking outside. Spa and fitness center was under repair so I can't comment on it. Didn't try the restaurant because there are many nice restaurants nearby.

• Stayed April 2014
2 Thank WinWarrior
Seminole, Florida
Reviewed 21 April 2014

If price is not a concern, Shutters would be my top recommendation for a Santa Monica hotel. My ocean-front ground floor room had a daily rate north of $1,000 after taxes; and I was a bit disappointed when told at check-in that a room on a higher floor was not an option. Once I settled in, my stay was first-class all the way. Room service at Shutters beats dining at most restaurants in L.A. I enjoyed hot showers with very strong water pressure (tried to keep them to a minimum due to current drought) and loved the large jetted bathtub. The work-out facility is in excellent condition, although it's a bit on the small side. I had my first Men's Facial ever and it did not disappoint - thank you Jordan! Finally, the bed was extremely comfortable and offers a great night's sleep - although there is a chance you might be bothered by loud conversations and shouting coming from the ocean walk and beach throughout the night.

Room Tip: Ocean front rooms have an incredible view, but the balcony is tiny
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Andrew_29-11
USA
Reviewed 20 April 2014

From the drinks to the music, Shutters is just fantastic. The rooms are absolutely spectacular. The deluxe king ocean view is the way to go. The beds are super comfortable, the bathtub is fantastic and the balcony just perfect. Be sure to make advance reservations at the spa, as it fills up with hotel guests and locals. The restaurants are the same. The lobby has fabulous live jazz music on the weekends.

Overall: Great location, beautiful view, walking distance from the pier, 3rd street and lots of great bars and restaurants.

Food & Service: The food and service are both great (pancakes and granola parfait). The lobby service staff seem a little inexperienced and young, but the service is otherwise excellent.

Best Way to Book: Booking through AmEx often ensures a room upgrade (just a little hint). They also offer breakfast credit and a spa credit for premium cardholders.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MoonlightRainSea
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 April 2014

location , location , location

the view , the view , the view !!!!!

the bed , the bed , the bed !!!!!

the staff and very helpful and the place is well run

as new hotels come to the market perhaps the rooms are a bit small ............space for room service is cramped but for goodness sake MAN , the location in ON THE BEACH !!

amenities are generous ............ small touches impress like vitamin tonic left for guests each night
linen is good

the lobby is generous and comfortable which is a real plus over other establishments...........check it out and you will see what i mean

spa and gym were closed for a refurb on this visit

i liked the availability of gym bikes beach games and deckchairs ......... great touch guys !

we came with teenagers AND my granddaughter stayed over and everyone has been happy

nothing compares to shutters in santa monica ...............looks like it suits for all ages

I have my MINOR complaints but i continue to return ...........I have wondered if they will ever trip up but they are consistently good very good or excellent and even a moaning minnie like me has to give credit where credit is due ..........another good visit

this is NOT a paid for endorsement !............i am not supposed to be this happy !

Room Tip: be careful if you opt for an ocean view room ........... they can overlook the pool and centre well...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank lorrainesfavourite
New York City, New York
Reviewed 11 April 2014

So i booked a few nights at Shutters to try beach life in Santa Monica. showed up to disocver gym and spa were closed for renovation. jacuzzi was broken and on sunday night they shut the pool. no notice on the website or when i checked in and they just kept saying how we could use the facilities at their neighboring hotel. i think it is disgusting for a super-premium hotel to charge what they charge and not warn its clientele that all their leisure facilities are out of commission. its a deceptive business practice and really soured me on the hotel and its management

staff was lovely and courteous and apologetic

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
GregoryDay, General Manager at Shutters on the Beach, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
Dear Jravitch,

We too were surprised that it was necessary to close both the spa and pool during your stay. Unfortunately, both issues were independent of one another and neither were renovations, rather both emergency repairs. We take the safety and security of all of our staff and guests seriously and both issues needed to be addressed. While the pool repair lasted just a few days the spa repairs have been much more than expected and as such we have placed this information on our booking site. While this of course would not have helped your particular situation as you had booked prior to our knowledge of the need of repairs, we do try and be as transparent as possible. As an alternative we did offer all guests the use of our sister properties' pool, spa and fitness facilities across the street. I thank you for sharing your concerns and certainly apologize for any inconvenience. Thank you as well for your kind and positive comments regarding our staff.

Gregory Day, General Manager
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 7 April 2014

The hotel is in a fantastic location, is luxurious but comfortable and the staff were friendly and helpful. The room felt a bit like I was staying in someones home rather than a large hotel which I loved. I was only there for a night and would like to have stayed longer. The hotel was quiet, the bed was extremely comfortable and I slept like a baby.

I arrived a little early but was able to check in immediately. Unfortunately I was not able to get the room upgrade or late check out offered to Leading Hotels of the World Members which was disappointing. I had a very late flight back to Australia so I was given access to the Spa so I could use the showers later in the day.

The breakfast had the potential to be nice but they didn't have what I ordered so gave me something else!

I noticed there were a large number of families staying in the hotel which was a surprise and I hope next time mine will accompany me.

Room Tip: Some rooms are quite a long way from the lobby and require you to use 2 lifts which might not appea...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo