“Way too expensive for what it is”

Ranked #4 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
Reviewed 4 June 2014

I'm here for two nights for business, staying in room 243. I'm checking out tomorrow and will be moving to another hotel in Santa Monica for Thursday night. Overall, I'm very disappointed with the value that this hotel delivers.

The Room:
It's very nice, in an English colonial / your wealthy grandma's house kind of way. There's a lot of personal touches, which are a kind of welcome departure from most hotels. It is well-equipped with a good TV, Bose sound system, good minibar, coffee maker, and spacious 4-piece bathroom. Overall, the room is OK.

The View:
Interesting that the website describes all rooms as having balconies, as my room has windows looking onto the side street and the adjacent building. The windows don't even open. The view is pitiful. I'd much rather stay at a cheaper hotel and have a decent view than be stuck in this prison-like room. If I open the plantation shutters, I'm staring at a brick wall. If I close the plantation shutters, then it's basically an English colonial prison. It would be wonderful to at least be able to smell the sea breeze, which is not possible from this horrid room.

The Noise:
Even worse than the view is the noise! First, there's street noise. My window is only feet from the sidewalk, so I clearly hear every car that drives by and every person on the street. And yes, you hear this all night long. Second, there's an unidentifiable building noise, which almost sounds like a broken garbage disposal or other grinding machinery, which seems to be coming from beneath my room. It's not constant, but you can hear it about every 5 minutes or so. The front desk didn't believe me, so they sent a building engineer at about 10pm last night - the building engineer first tried to tell me I was hearing cars outside, until he heard the sound himself. He went to look for the noise, but was never able to identify it. Absolutely unbelievable. This is completely unacceptable in a hotel with the reputation and price of Shutters.

Bathroom Materials:
The shower hardware feels very cheap, like something out of a cheap apartment.

Wifi:
It's really slow. Not exactly a good hotel for business if anyone actually needs to do business.

Bugs:
There are mesquitos or other small flying and biting insects in this room. I see them around the room, and I woke up this morning with bites on my hands from them. Very odd, given the windows don't open!

My overall advice:
Save yourself a little money and have a better experience at one of the other hotels in the area. The Viceroy presents much more value for money than this place.

Room Tip: Avoid room 243.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank nelsonjj
There are newer reviews for Shutters on the Beach

Reviewed 30 May 2014

This was our second visit to Shutters. As good as our last stay. Great room, the service is excellent. Having stayed at many hotels both on business and pleasure this is still one of our favourites. Will continue to stay here again and again. We were with our 2 children and although there were no specific activities for them they were made to feel very welcome. It is pricey(especially if you book a sea view) but worth it.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
GregoryDay, General Manager at Shutters on the Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Dear morty44

Thank you so much for your review of Shutters on the Beach and comments regarding our "great" rooms and "excellent" service. I appreciate your loyalty and am glad to hear that we are one of your family's favorite hotels. We look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed 28 May 2014

We spent five days/nights at Shutters over the holidays and it was glorious. The hotel is of course in am amazing location but the food, the service, everything was beyond -- beyond. We want to specifically mention Jonathan at the concierge desk who knows everything and handles it all without letting you know just how impressive he is! We would go back in a heartbeat - saving our $$ to go back

Room Tip: facing the beach of course!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
GregoryDay, General Manager at Shutters on the Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

Dear AWB,
Thank you for choosing Shutters on the Beach for your holiday escape. I am glad you enjoyed the location, food and service. Jonathan is a valuable member of our team and I will be sure to share your comments with him. We are also thrilled to hear that you are already anticipating your next stay with us!

Reviewed 25 May 2014

We came here for a family wedding and stayed for four nights. The hotel and its location are as excellent s other reviewers have stated. The wedding site on patio overlooking the beach was beautiful, and the reception in their grand ballroom was very well done. What made this stay particularly enjoyable was the staff. Everyone we encountered was friendly and helpful and courteous. Each day we had breakfast in Coast dining room and were fortunate to have James and Jean as our servers. Most often wait staff don't affect the dining experience . Unfortunately, sometimes they make it unpleasant. James and Jean both enhanced it greatly. They were friendly, efficient and engaging, and made our dining experience very pleasant. The food was also very good - especially the smoked salmon (lox) and bagel breakfast and the crab salad I had for lunch.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
GregoryDay, General Manager at Shutters on the Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

Dear Scul2137ptor,
Thank you so much for your 5-star review of Shutters on the Beach! I appreciate your comments regarding our dedicated staff and will share with the team. Congratulations on your family's special occasion, I'm glad we were able to help facilitate and share in the happiness of the event.

Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

Being a fan of the Del in San Diego, I was a bit skeptical regarding this hotel- "are they able to compete?" And boy, are they....! Great location, great food, lots of charm and a much more personal touch than the Del. what the Del has lost over the past 5-10 years, this hotel still keeps. Great service, friendliness and a "we actually like having you here as our guest" compared to the "we really don't care, we sell our rooms anyway"-attitude further south. Definately going back, maybe already in two weeks.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Oddi L

Dear Oddi L,
Thank you for choosing Shutters on the Beach for your Santa Monica getaway. I appreciate your comments regarding our property, restaurants, and staff. We are thrilled to hear that you are already planning your next stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed 20 May 2014

For me, this is the ultimate beach side hotel. It has all the attributes of a five star hotel without the pretensions. I had a wonderful suite with a large sitting room, furnished in relaxing seaside style. The beds are scrumptious; the public areas are relaxed with a great art collection; the staff are great, attentive without being sycophantic; the restaurant is excellent. This is my hotel of choice in Santa Monica ( having stayed at most of the others)

Room Tip: Yu don't have to have a suite; the rooms are extremely nice.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank sooots
GregoryDay, General Manager at Shutters on the Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

Dear sooots,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your 5-star experience at Shutters on the Beach. I appreciate your comments regarding our "attentive" staff and will share with the team. Also, it is great to hear that you enjoyed our fantastic art collection. Much work went into curating just the right artistic pieces to complement the beach cottage feel of our interior design. Hope to see you again you!

Reviewed 20 May 2014 via mobile

Main attraction here is that the hotel is right on the beach in Santa Monica. Very convenient for hanging out on the beach if you want to get away from inland LA. High end place, everything in very good condition. Service is friendly and pretty efficient. Two restaurants, both pretty good. Hotel has bikes for rental, which is great for cycling down to places like Venice and Marina del Rey. The only small negative is that despite their efforts to personalise the rooms and make the place look and feel like a beach home, it is quite a big hotel: rooms are smallish and there are quite a few of them. Overall though, would definitely recommend if you are in LA and want somewhere by the beach to relax and hangout in the sun.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple