“hamptons in LA”

Ranked #6 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
Reviewed 17 July 2014

My family and I stayed here in June and loved it. From the welcoming staff at front desk, gorgeous rooms, inviting and relaxing pool, perfection. Location is great, walking distance to promenade, Santa Monica pier, Venice beach etc. Although the hotel was full when we visited, it definitely didn't have that overcrowded feeling at all, more like staying at a lovely grand family home. Nothing was ever too much a problem from the valet team through to the pool staff, lovely hotel and a definite MUST for anyone travelling to Santa Monica.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Lynette A

Reviewed 17 July 2014

My boyfriend and I enjoyed Shutters on the Beach for 9 days. Unique design. Comfy room. Great location. Wonderful view. Friendly stuff. Awesome restaurant with beach view. Its Santa Monica! What can be better?

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 July 2014

My wife and I enjoyed Shutters on the Beach for 6 days. What a treat! Please understand - it is right on the Beach. You look out - and you are "on the Beach". You walk out and you are "on the Beach". It's Santa Monica Beach. It's Wonderful!

And inside, the Rooms are great. They "feel" comfortable. They "feel" like home. And the Food is very good. Breakfasts are outstanding - we met a number of people coming to the Hotel - just for Breakfast. At night time, stay at the Hotel, eat at One Pico. The food at One Pico is as good as any stand alone Restaurant. Beautiful room too.

We are going back.

Room Tip: The Ultimate Rooms are on the face of the Hotel right on the Beach. I think they are called Premier...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
GregoryDay, General Manager at Shutters on the Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Dear cashmore64,

Thank you for joining us at Shutters on the Beach for your Santa Monica getaway. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed our dining options, residential-style rooms, and beach front location. We look forward to welcoming you back on your return trip.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

I was so excited to spend my birthday at Shutters with my hubby, baby free,back in February! I had eaten brunch and dinner at this wonderful hotel in the past for special occasions and had always mentioned to my husband that I would love to stay one day, so I was overjoyed when he booked a room for my birthday this year. The service at the front desk was exceptional and the room was cozy with a lovely beach ambiance. The massage my husband set up for me was one of the better ones I've had at a resort. Beautiful music was played during happy hour in the lobby bar. Then, the valet was nice enough to give us a ride in their designer tesla car to a local 5 star restaurant for dinner where we had reservations. BUT, then the wonderful experience ended there as I am sad to report! My beautiful (first baby free) weekend ended there when we saw a big,black, party bus drive up to the hotel... and quickly learned they were ALL staying on our floor when we could hearing tramping from one room to another,singing, yelling, music, etc. I made multiple calls to the front desk/security about the noise that lasted until (no joke) 5am. Nothing changed, security was apologetic and the front desk very professional , but it still went on. By morning we had to get back to the baby and there went our highly anticipated sleep that we had been lacking for months with a new child. The manager who happened to check us out that morning must have seen the comments from the front desk and apologized and once he heard our story he said it was a "learning experience " for the hotel (lucky me got to endure the process) to not put so many people who are together on the same floor again and he then PROMISED to have us back for a complimentary stay for our troubles.He said, " heres my card, email me when its convenient for you and I will accommodate you." Well... That was over 4 months ago and after numerous emails and calls- Ive yet to hear back from this "manager". So much for 5 star service and a weekend away for relaxation. My loss. But kudos to my husband for trying. Many friends/family have asked us about our stay upon hearing we went for my birthday- lets just say its not on our list for recommendations.

Room Tip: One where theres not a group of people who just got off a party bus!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Amanda R
Reviewed 11 July 2014

Hotel is beautifully located on the beach near the Santa Monica Pier. We really wanted to like this hotel and have tried it twice, but will not be going back. The service leaves a lot to be desired. The check-in is supposed to be at 4PM but both times our room was not ready until after 5:30PM. The front desk is rude and not helpful. For the amount that you pay for the rooms, I would have expected average service at the very least but that is simply not the case. There are plenty of other nice hotels in Santa Monica with much better service.

Room Tip: Coast restaurant is good for lunch.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank EN2600
Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

Whenever we travel to LA my family always insists on staying at Shutters. Lovely appointed rooms with a beachy ambiance. Excellent spa services. Restaurant on site is excellent too especially since we have food allergies in our family. Great location to shopping, site seeing etc. If you like a beach atmosphere this hotel is for you! Staff is great too!

• Stayed: April 2014
GregoryDay, General Manager at Shutters on the Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

Dear Tennismum916,

Thank you for joining us at Shutters on the Beach. We truly appreciate your loyalty and are glad to hear your family enjoys our rooms, spa, and beach front location in beautiful Santa Monica. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 10 July 2014

We just returned from a stay at shutters with our two children. Beautiful hotel with lovely rooms. The only issue with the rooms are the size. They are well appointed, but very small. The ambiance of the hotel was very nice. Service in general was very good. The pool area was satisfactory, but could use more attention to keeping the area clean and well attended regarding ordering food and getting towels. Location directly on the beach was excellent, however, be prepared to spend quite a bit at the hotel if you would like a chair or umbrella at the beach. Compared to any other luxury hotel, I thought this was inappropriate. For a family of four to get chairs at the beach for the day it was over $100. We really enjoyed the proximity to the pier and rental bikes. Food overall at the restaurants was very good. Satisfactory at the pool.

Room Tip: Rooms are very cramped. Choose a room facing the ocean, beautiful view.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank dcluvtotravel
GregoryDay, General Manager at Shutters on the Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Dear dcluvtotravel,

Thank you so much for your feedback. We are happy to hear that you and your family enjoyed your stay at Shutters on the Beach and were able to take advantage of all the beach activities we have to offer. We look forward to seeing you again.