“Will not be staying here again”

Hotel Shangri-La Santa Monica
Ranked #19 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
Reviewed 31 July 2011

I stayed here on business last week. You could hear the party in the hotel restaurant about a block away. The property on the weekends is very noisy. The rooms are nice, but at 10.00 the ceiling in my bathroom began to leak water. I asked for another room and got stuck in a substantially smaller room. Never got an apology, but a free drink coupon for the bar. Seriously? This property is lacking in service. I travel quite a bit to LA and cannot, in good conscience, recommend this place.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
4  Thank nautibuoy_mpls

Reviewed 29 July 2011

This was to be the highlight stay of our month long coast to coast USA trip so we splashed out on this accommodation but we left for LAX feelng slightly let down by the inconsistencies in our overall experience here. For example, we had two receptionists and a valet parking attendant who were fantastic but a couple of other receptionists seemed to think we were not worthy of their full attention, and one was just plain rude. The internet in the lobby is free for 15 minutes and the time you are using is well signposted but the printer never worked during our stay, One receptionist said send anything for printing to him by email another shrugged and put an out of order sign on it!

Our room and the public areas of the Hotel were nice and comfortable as you should expect for a location selling itself as upmarket and trendy which it is. However as soon as we arrived we were confronted with a $30+ per day valet parking charge that we weren't expecting . It added $100 dollars to a three day stay and there is no alternative. If you live in the USA you might expect this but foreign vistors might not and it wasn't made clear enough when we booked or we would have gone somewhere else. When we finally got into the room there were no coffee making facilities but there is a comprehensive room service booklet.

The pool area can be an utter nightmare. It is not supervised into 'guest only' areas as the Manager states in reply to another reviewer. Staff are clearly not briefed fully on this. On our first day at the Hotel we couldn't even get near the pool for hordes of people partying well into the night yet on our last day we got a sunbed easily and the service was superb. The small pool had murky water but the main pool was crystal clear. That's the Hotel for us in a nutshell, reasonably priced for the great convenient location but very patchy and in some cases very poor service.

If you are not good on your feet you should also know that although you may get great views of the fantastic Beach and Pier from your room you have to hike a long steep way down to get your feet on the sand crossing Hwy 1 by footbridge on the way.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 July 2011

We're a family of 4 with 2 young children ages 5+6. Our room was the 1br with kitchnette which was a perfect size for the few days we were in town. The staff were very friendly and accommodating by providing us with a rollaway bed for my son and set up the sheets on the coach for my daughter.

One thing I did complain about was that they needed my credit card to order drinks by the poolside despite being a guest but said it's their "policy" so of course, I obliged. Upon check out the next day, I completely forgot I left my card by the pool. Security said my card was given to the supervisor accidentally thinking it was their corporate card to purchase supplies. At the time of check out, the supervisor wasn't there so they assured me my credit card will be sent to our 4th destination in case it didnt' arrive on the 3rd location (mind you- Santa Monica was only the 2nd part of our journey down to San Deigo). To make a long story short, my credit card never arrived at the 4th destination as promised and they never called me back with a tracking #. It's unfortunate my credit card was never returned on the early part of our vacation but luckily it wasn't a dire situation. So despite the place being nice, I'm appalled the supervisor never called me back to apologize for the inconvenience this has caused. AND I'm sure they have my Amex (which has now been replaced). Plus having this rule of giving a credit card by the poolside as a guest should be banned.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Twobluerice
Reviewed 28 July 2011

My family and I stayed at the Shangri-La Hotel in Santa Monica for a three day stop over visit to LA. The Hotel can only be described as fantastic. Its art-deco style was fashionable yet comfortable and the two bedroom ocean view siute was flawless (room 300).

All the staff we met were excellent and very helpful, especially April at the front desk.

I recommend this hotel and I personally would not stay anywhere else in the LA area.

The Farmers Market on Wednesday is a must. Also plenty of eateries on 3rd ST just two blocks behind the hotel.

Room Tip: If there are four of you in a group the two bedroom apartments provide enough privacy with shared ki...
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 July 2011

We add a suite with kitchen giving on Arizona street and had lots of space for us and our 7-year old son. The kitchen is fully equipped with top quality appliances and cutlery and we really enjoyed being able to have our own breakfast and even dinner and looking at the sunset over the mountains. It's evidently not a cheap place, but our travel experience tells us that every penny that we paid there was worth it, which is not the always the case with other expensive places. The only minor con is the little swimming pool where we had a kind of bad "Miami-like" experience - we were treated a little bit like suckers because we had a child and did not intend to start getting drunk at 11am on Saturday morning...a little bit over-hyped. Our daughter and her boyfriend had a king room on Ocean Drive and yes, it was quite small, but honestly nothing terrible. We had some Internet connectivity problems and the staff was really helpful and available. We definitely recommend the place.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank François_Bogacz
Reviewed 26 July 2011

The only thing the hotel has going for it is the location. Rooms are not that nice considering the rate you are paying for. Service was lacking and inconsistent...especially when I had forgotten a few items at the hotel and requested them to mail it to me, they were asking to charge $40-$60 to ship from Santa Monica to Orange County! That is ridiculous! C'mon what kind of customer service is that?! I've left a laptop charger in a hotel in Singapore once and they shipped it back to me free of charge!

Won't be staying here again...or recommending to anyone else.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 July 2011

very cool hotel with a FAB location. Rooftop bar is very 'hip' place to see the sun go down.

If your staying here, don't get a room on the 2nd or 3rd floor, its far too nosey. For a 5* hotel the double glazing is appauling

Pool area is nice, but the hotel lets its guest down by allowing the public in, without any apparent control on how many. We had one day were there were over 25 non-residence, far too many when you con side the max for the pool is less than 30.

In summary, very cool hotel and greta location, but not recommended for a family or if your looking for some R&R..

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Simonmarccurtis
MattBeukelman, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Shangri-La Santa Monica, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2011

Thank you for your recent stay with us at the Hotel Shangrila.

We regret the pool area was being enjoyed by many patrons during your stay with us; summertime is particularly busy in our hotel, especially on the weekends. We have a “guests only” area that is managed by our staff and I will share your experiences with them.

It is important to us that our guests feel at home during their stay at the Hotel Shangrila. When you are back in the Los Angeles area we hope you will give us the opportunity to earn your loyalty.