Hotel Shangri-La Santa Monica
Ocean View Hotel(Santa Monica)
US$297
  • Beachfront
Travelodge Santa Monica(Santa Monica)(Great Value!)
US$245
US$239
US$635
US$427
  • Pool
Casa del Mar(Santa Monica)
US$787
Shore Hotel(Santa Monica)
US$449
US$388
  • Beachfront
Loews Santa Monica Beach Hotel(Santa Monica)
US$518
US$308
Agoda.com
  • Breakfast included
1,254 results
All reviewsrooftop barart decopool areatwo bedroom suitefull kitchenocean viewperfect locationour honeymoonvalet parkingfarmers marketocean avenuethird street promenadelos angelesvenice beachpierconciergebathtub
Reviewed 1 August 2011

This hotel is centrally located in Santa Monica, immediately across the beach where Bay Watch was filmed, and only a short walk to the many shops, bars and restaurants.

The staff were very efficient, friendly and enjoyed giving us advice where to go and what to do.

This is a small hotel which has kept it's original appearance of 1940s style. The rooms are very clean and bright with huge bathrooms offering large showers that could accommodate wheelchairs if required. The pool area is good with a bar and many loungers - with the shape/structure of the chairs, tables and loungers changing daily! On the top floor there was a bar where guests could go outside and sit in the sunshine on the top of the building and enjoy the views. Food/snacks could be bought from here too.

The main restaurant is small but well able to cater for everyone who visits. We ate breakfast here each morning and nothing was too much trouble for the waiters. But we chose to eat out each night as we enjoyed walking around to find different places to go.

A short five minute walk away there is a "hop on hop off" bus that took us into Hollywood and Beverly Hills, which is amazing and a must for anyone visiting. One thing we noticed each day is that over in Santa Monica they call it June Gloom. This is because on the coast line the weather may look slightly overcast, but drive only half a mile inland and the sun is shining and is very hot.

We hired a car whilst in Santa Monica and would recommend this is a good way to get around if you wish to venture further afield.

I would recommend this hotel for the young at heart as during the weekend the party music at night goes on until everyone retires to bed! We're in our mid 50s and felt slightly old for this hotel, albeit we'd certainly recommend it to travellers.

Room Tip: Simply ask for the best they have
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 July 2011

I stayed here on business last week. You could hear the party in the hotel restaurant about a block away. The property on the weekends is very noisy. The rooms are nice, but at 10.00 the ceiling in my bathroom began to leak water. I asked for another room and got stuck in a substantially smaller room. Never got an apology, but a free drink coupon for the bar. Seriously? This property is lacking in service. I travel quite a bit to LA and cannot, in good conscience, recommend this place.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
4  Thank nautibuoy_mpls
Reviewed 29 July 2011

This was to be the highlight stay of our month long coast to coast USA trip so we splashed out on this accommodation but we left for LAX feelng slightly let down by the inconsistencies in our overall experience here. For example, we had two receptionists and a valet parking attendant who were fantastic but a couple of other receptionists seemed to think we were not worthy of their full attention, and one was just plain rude. The internet in the lobby is free for 15 minutes and the time you are using is well signposted but the printer never worked during our stay, One receptionist said send anything for printing to him by email another shrugged and put an out of order sign on it!

Our room and the public areas of the Hotel were nice and comfortable as you should expect for a location selling itself as upmarket and trendy which it is. However as soon as we arrived we were confronted with a $30+ per day valet parking charge that we weren't expecting . It added $100 dollars to a three day stay and there is no alternative. If you live in the USA you might expect this but foreign vistors might not and it wasn't made clear enough when we booked or we would have gone somewhere else. When we finally got into the room there were no coffee making facilities but there is a comprehensive room service booklet.

The pool area can be an utter nightmare. It is not supervised into 'guest only' areas as the Manager states in reply to another reviewer. Staff are clearly not briefed fully on this. On our first day at the Hotel we couldn't even get near the pool for hordes of people partying well into the night yet on our last day we got a sunbed easily and the service was superb. The small pool had murky water but the main pool was crystal clear. That's the Hotel for us in a nutshell, reasonably priced for the great convenient location but very patchy and in some cases very poor service.

If you are not good on your feet you should also know that although you may get great views of the fantastic Beach and Pier from your room you have to hike a long steep way down to get your feet on the sand crossing Hwy 1 by footbridge on the way.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 July 2011

We're a family of 4 with 2 young children ages 5+6. Our room was the 1br with kitchnette which was a perfect size for the few days we were in town. The staff were very friendly and accommodating by providing us with a rollaway bed for my son and set up the sheets on the coach for my daughter.

One thing I did complain about was that they needed my credit card to order drinks by the poolside despite being a guest but said it's their "policy" so of course, I obliged. Upon check out the next day, I completely forgot I left my card by the pool. Security said my card was given to the supervisor accidentally thinking it was their corporate card to purchase supplies. At the time of check out, the supervisor wasn't there so they assured me my credit card will be sent to our 4th destination in case it didnt' arrive on the 3rd location (mind you- Santa Monica was only the 2nd part of our journey down to San Deigo). To make a long story short, my credit card never arrived at the 4th destination as promised and they never called me back with a tracking #. It's unfortunate my credit card was never returned on the early part of our vacation but luckily it wasn't a dire situation. So despite the place being nice, I'm appalled the supervisor never called me back to apologize for the inconvenience this has caused. AND I'm sure they have my Amex (which has now been replaced). Plus having this rule of giving a credit card by the poolside as a guest should be banned.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Twobluerice
Reviewed 28 July 2011

My family and I stayed at the Shangri-La Hotel in Santa Monica for a three day stop over visit to LA. The Hotel can only be described as fantastic. Its art-deco style was fashionable yet comfortable and the two bedroom ocean view siute was flawless (room 300).

All the staff we met were excellent and very helpful, especially April at the front desk.

I recommend this hotel and I personally would not stay anywhere else in the LA area.

The Farmers Market on Wednesday is a must. Also plenty of eateries on 3rd ST just two blocks behind the hotel.

Room Tip: If there are four of you in a group the two bedroom apartments provide enough privacy with shared kitchenette and lounge facilities
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family