“Art Deco Gem”

Ranked #20 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
Great Missenden, United Kingdom
“Art Deco Gem”
Reviewed 31 May 2012

My husband and I spent the first two nights of our month-long trip to California here and we were not disappointed. The Shangri-La is a truly beautiful Art Deco hotel and the staff were friendly, helpful and charming - nothing was too much trouble. Our room was wonderful with a view of the palm trees and Pacifiic Ocean and our drinks and meals in the ground floor restaurant were excellent and accompanied by Ella Fitzgerald - what more could one want! I would highly recommend this hotel and can't wait to return. Congratulations to all the staff.

Room Tip: Just ask for an Ocean view - perfect!
2 Thank lagunatic35
MattBeukelman, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Shangri-La Santa Monica, responded to this review, 8 June 2012
Hello lagunatic35

Thank you for choosing to stay with us. We were happy you were here.

We look forward to your next visit!

Director of Operations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
New York, New York
Reviewed 27 May 2012

I usually stay at luxury chain hotels because I like to know what I'm getting, more or less, but I found a really great Internet deal on this property for a two-night stay and decided to give it a try - and boy, was I pleased. As I approached the hotel in my rental car, I missed the small outdoor parking lot and had to circle the block and try again; drivers should know that the lot is just before the hotel on Ocean Avenue. The front desk staff were incredibly friendly and welcoming, and I was very happy with my room, which had an absolutely enormous bathroom attached to a clean and bright bedroom with an oblique view of the Pacific. The location is superb, within walking distance to shops and restaurants. But beach-goers should know that the sand isn't exactly right at the hotel's doorstep, for one has to cross the street, descend stairs to a bridge going over the Pacific Coast Highway, and walk a bit before getting to touch the Pacific Ocean. The hotel's dining room was a bit unappealing to me, so I went to the nearby FIG Restaurant, which I highly recommend for great locavore fare. Now back to the hotel: I don't know why, but the casual atmosphere, open-air corridors, ocean views, and friendly service keep me thinking about this place.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank travelerhnl
Hello travelerhnl

So happy you stayed with us at the Hotel Shangrila.

The next time we hope you stay with us for dinner. The Dining Room offers an excellent menu and a wonderful dining experience.

We look forward to seeing you again very soon...safe travels!

Caloundra, Australia
Reviewed 24 May 2012

From the moment you walk through the Art Deco glass brick and chrome entrance, you know you are in for a treat. The entry lobby is intimate and inviting with two lovely couches to sit on while checking in and it was obvious that the staff enjoyed their job as some time was spent giving us a brief overview of the surrounding attractions and their proximity to the Hotel staff including Valet were attentive and caring. The room continued in the Art Deco theme with beautiful parquet floors, mirrors and period light fittings. Our room had a bedroom separate to the sitting area and it was nice to see a King size bed rather than the standard double queen. The linen was monogrammed and was obviously height quality.
The bath room was very large with a beautiful deep art deco bath. The only negative was you could hear people walk past outside while you were in the bathroom.
The pool area was something else with cosy nooks to sit, relax and have a drink. Our package only included a Continental breakfast which was Coffee, juice and bagel.( would have been nice to have some yoghurt and fresh fruit)
The hotel is a stones throw from both the pier and the 3rd. Ave dining precinct. So is Ideal for the tourists.
As we were not flying out till early evening we were given a late check out (without fanfare) and this was a plus.
I understand this hotel has just undergone a major renovation and it really shows.

Room Tip: Try 201 with a partial ocean view.
Hello Xlcobra -

Thank you for staying with us. We are happy you enjoyed your time at the Hotel Shangrila.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon!

Director of Operaions
Bedford
Reviewed 24 May 2012

This hotel is REALLY special. It stands proudly on the corner of Ocean and Arizona avenues facing the beautiful beach at Santa Monica. Upon entering you are transported back to the full splendour of the art-deco period from when it was built. The reception area is small but perfectly formed and serviced by the most polite and welcoming staff that you could ever wish for. We had a two bedroom suite with terrace situated on the 6th floor which was pure luxury. The décor is in keeping with the period of the hotel but with an up to date flavour. The rooms were spotless especially the gorgeous bathrooms with their marble counters and art deco ‘Shangri-La’ embossed light fittings. As mentioned we had access to the terrace which despite running right around the top floor was actually sectioned off for each room. The view was incredible and really was an ‘ocean view’. It looked out directly over to the beach and Santa Monica Pier. There is also a rooftop bar (apparently the only one in Santa Monica) and a downstairs pool area straight out of a Hollywood movie where we had breakfast and sunbathed which was wonderful. The restaurant is just off the reception area on the ground floor and just like the rest of the hotel is beautiful with great food and superb service. I also just have to point out that the service we received from the Bellboy and parking Valet was exemplary and very much appreciated. Thank you.

I really cannot fault this hotel and although we only stayed there for one night (which was actually at the end of our 3000 mile road trip and so was truly special and VERY much welcome) it really has left a lasting impression.

Room Tip: High floor. Terrace. Sea-facing.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
Hello Tom M

Your comments and your review are appreciated. We are happy you enjoy the Hotel Shangrila.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Kiama, Australia
Reviewed 18 May 2012

This is was my second stay at the Shangri-La. After a wonderful experience on a business trip I returned with my wife this year for a few nights. The standards are still high and the hotel is located in great location. The rooms are done very well considering the age of the building. If I ever have to stay in LA again I will be back.

Hello BigJase1970

Very happy you returned to the hotel! We look forward to seeing you on your third visit!

Safe travels,
Reviewed 17 May 2012

This place is very awesome. I was upgraded to a suite with a full kitchen that was truly spectacular. The staff went out of their way to accommodate me in every way and were way above average in every category. I travel for a living and the front desk concierge may be the best I've ever dealt with. They were excellent all the way down to "chili", the night security guy who went above and beyond his job responsibilities to accommodate our group.
This hotel may be a bit higher in price than others, but the service and amenities are well worth it.

• Stayed May 2012
Hello Grgaddis

Thank you for your review. We will share your compliments with our staff, especially Chilli in Security.

Safe travels and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 May 2012

I read some of the mixed reviews before booking this hotel. I know that reviews can tend to be subjective, but I have nothing but praise for the Hotel Shangri-la. Upon approaching the hotel you cannot help be impressed by its art deco styling and it's wonderful location overlooking the ocean. My first impressions were further enhanced by the friendly and polite manner of the gentleman in the the valet parking and the bellboy. A further friendly welcome was provided by the lady at reception, who for some reason upgraded me to a two bedroom suite (not that this has influenced my review!). The hotel was clean, stylish and perfectly located. My room was luxurious and comfortable with great views. The roof top bar is a real plus, although at 51 I felt somewhat out of place amongst the young crowd assembled there. I didn't get to use the pool area, but it appeared very inviting and relaxing. I used the restaurant once for breakfast and found the food good and the staff great. I will definitely return to santa Monica and I will definitely stay at the Shangri-la.

Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
Thank you Marc L for your comments.

We were happy to have you here and look forward to welcoming you again soon!