“Love Santa Monica!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #19 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
Dublin, Ireland
“Love Santa Monica!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014 via mobile

We concluded our honeymoon in Santa Monica and really didn't want to leave! Loved the hotel, it's near the beach, shopping, great restaurants etc. We went for a sea view and it was so beautiful to wake up to. It's definitely worthwhile having breakfast or brunch.....worth every lb I put on!!! Highly recommended.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank purplesnack
Sonny V, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Shangri-La Santa Monica, responded to this review, 7 June 2014
Thank you so much for choosing our hotel as the last stop on your honeymoon. Santa Monica restaurants, beaches, and sunsets are the best way to end a honeymoon. Thank you for posting your experience on TripAdvisor. Our staff is so glad to read that you had such a great time, and we hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back some time in the future. Maybe for one of your anniversaries!

Until then, have safe travels and great days!

Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

Good location, right on Ocean Avenue. Had a regular room, then a suite. Odd room layout with glass-enclosed bathroom opening next to main door in regular room. Bath quite large while the room itself was compact. Suite space quite comfortable. Rooms in need of a little refresh. Need better linens. Overpriced for what you get other than location.

Pool area nice, but mostly in the building's shadow. Too many non-guests lounging around the pool on the weekend. Buzzy roof bar attracts a young, somewhat loud crowd moving through the lobby. While the hotel does its best to manage the flow, it is a bit of a distraction.

Helpful, pleasant front desk staff.

Room Tip: Go for the suites if available. Much, much nicer.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for your feedback. I'm happy that you brought up re-investing capital back into our hotel. That is exactly what 2014 is all about. Every since our full renovation in 2009 we work every year to keep the hotel and its amenities fresh and up to date. This year especially we have new furniture out in our courtyard area and rooftop bar. This summer our suites are receiving quite a lot of attention with new sofas. We are very excited to have our hotel be a historical landmark in Los Angeles. And while the preservation of that type of building is unique, it is the greatest honor a hotelier could ask for.

Please do come back and see us again. It would be our pleasure to share with you the advancements we make everyday as a hotel. Thank you so much again for the time you took to leave your review. We greatly appreciate it!

Best,

San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

I had a great experience with this hotel and their service. They emailed me a few days before arrival and asked if I needed anything. I replied back by email that I needed a crib and they had one waiting for us when we arrived. I loved that the hotel was across from the street from the beach, 2 blocks to 3rd street promenade and just a few blocks to the Santa Monica Pier. We would definitely come back again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Please do come back and see us! We would love to have you back.
It is always great to read that we were able to start our luxury service before you and your family walked through our doors. We work everyday to expand our sense of service beyond the "hello" and the "goodbye." Thank you so much for leaving you comments on TripAdvisor, and I look forward to sharing your kind words with our staff. Thank you so much again, and please don't hesitate to contact me directly to set up a reservation for your next stay.

Until then, have great days, and safe travels.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

We stayed here for 1 night on our honeymoon. The hotel is in a great location right on the seafront.
We were upgraded to a suite on the 6th floor which had stunning views on the seafront and a terrace for sunbathing.
Our room was a big bedroom with a kitchen and sitting area and also a huge bathroom with a massive whirlpool bath.
We used the pool area which was nice if a bit small.
We went to the roof bar which we'd heard a lot about but were not that impressed - it seemed abit run down and not in the cool hipster way they were going for.
Don't miss Blue Plate Oysterette a few doors up from the hotel - amazing seafood.
You can rent bikes from the beach cafe just in front of hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for staying with us!
It is wonderful to read that we were able to upgrade you to one of our terrace suites for your honeymoon. An occasion like that deserves to be as special as possible, and I'm so happy we were able to make it happen. Thank you so much for leaving your feedback on TripAdvisor. We so appreciate your comments. They give us direction as we strive towards becoming a better hotel everyday! We hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Until then, have safe travels and great days!

socal
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

I actually stayed here for a weekend in March 2014- I'm running a bit behind with my review...

I specifically needed a room with two bathrooms. I ended up in a suite on a corner overlooking part of PCH and part of Arizona. I never really heard any of the traffic- the windows seem to do their job quite well.

Though the elevators are a bit scary and odd due to their age, they were adequate enough and created a bit of a comedy every time the doors opened to someone new stepping in.

The bed was comfy and the rooms were large. The bathrooms both had tubs, one of them being SUPER deep and odd to get into- with a window that allowed a view of the master bed... curtain provided for privacy. Orrrr you could give someone a lovely peep show! ;) In any case, it was unique to say the least.

I ordered lunch on the second day I was staying and was completely in love with the burger and fries I splurged on. Everyone from the bell man who helped me get to my room to the room service guy were super friendly.

The gym was in an odd location but with a building that old, I guess you gotta do what ya gotta do and place it where there's space- it had good machines, clean towels and cold water. I didn't get a chance to check out the pool as the weekend I was there happened to be a bit chilly.

My friend and I visited the roof top bar and enjoyed the view and the atmosphere- I ended up going back on my own the next night and managed to find a great group to chat with while I enjoyed the night air and a glass of wine. The music was SUPER loud but I didn't hear a bit of it in my room.

When I'm in this part of town I usually stay at the Marina Del Rey Ritz but I needed to be closer to an event for this stay and am happy I chose the Shangri-La.

Room Tip: I believe all the rooms are unique to the others for the most part. Definitely request a room far f...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Sonny V, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Shangri-La Santa Monica, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Thank you so much for your review. Even an experience from March is still a great experience for us to hear about. It sounds like you had a wonderful time with us. To read that the room was satisfactory, that the food was lovable, and that the staff was super friendly brings a huge smile to our faces. We strive everyday to provide our valued guests with an experience like yours. To know that we were able to succeed gives us great pride and confidence to move onward and upward striving for luxury service everyday. Thank you so much. We hope to see you again in the near future.

Until then, have great days!

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

This was the last stop on our "honeymoon" so it was essential that I got it right!. The staff were excellent, particularly at the front desk where nothing was too much trouble. The room was good if quirky and had a nice atmosphere to it. The room had been re-furbished in the original ART Deco style to a high standard. Although we had an ocean view room it was on the "2nd floor" (really the first floor) very close to the stairs and lifts. As a result there was a significant amount of early morning and late night noise which was a bit of a downer, and next time that I stay there I would insist on a higher room away from the stairs. The only other complaint was the height of the bath which had to be stepped over to get into the shower. A step was provided but this is probably not adequate for anyone not steady on their feet. Overall it was a good hotel and I would return next time I am in LA.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms near the stairs!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for choosing to celebrate your honeymoon with us! It is always an honor for us to be a part of such a wonderful experience. We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay, and thank you so much for taking the time to post your comments on TripAdvisor. I'm sorry to hear that you experienced some unwelcome noise from the outside world. If you do find yourself passing through Los Angeles again, please don't hesitate to contact me directly, and we put in a request to find a room that might be a quieter for you. Most importantly, thank you so much for staying with us, and we hope to see you again in the future.

Best,

New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

The Shangri-La is situated in a really awesome part of Santa Monica right on the bluffs. The hotel's rooftop bar has a cool view and 1980's "miami art deco" feel to it.

I booked the "rock and roll suite" via a hotel deal on HotelTonight. The view was amazing, but the room was seriously run down. The rug in the room was old and gross. The windows were a bit rusted and thin. The wall next to the bar was loud, but I was cool with that as I anticipated this coming from the name of the suite I booked. The outdoor furtniture on the patio of the room was so beaten up it probably should just be thrown out. The fixtures in the room and bathroom were super dated and often didn't fully work. The shower looked like somebody hadn't repaired it in a decade.

For the price the room was ok, because I got a deal, but it was just OK. Look elsewhere if you want a good room. There are plenty of more up to date places at the same price point as this hotel. Probably the 5th best hotel in the area max, but priced on booking engines at the top. Oh and the wifi was unusable.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
We want to thank you so much for choosing the Hotel Shangrila. We are also so happy that we could share with you our Rock n' Roll suite, and its incredible views of the ocean. It truly is a unique and exciting room. I want to immediately address the experience you had regarding the quality of the room. In 2014, we have many projects that are currently engaged to refresh the hotel. The history of this hotel matched with the tasteful modern influence is what keeps the Shangrila experience so unique. Every year, every day we strive to care for this true gem here in Santa Monica. We do hope we have the chance to share these advancements with you in the future. If you do find yourself traveling through Los Angeles again, please do not hesitate to contact me directly. I would happy to set up a special reservation for you. Most importantly thank you so much staying with us, and thank you for the time you took to offer your feedback to TripAdvisor. It is so helpful to us, and it gives us direction as we grow as a hotel everyday.

Have safe travels and great days!