“Always great!”
Review of Sea Shore Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Santa Monica
Sea Shore Motel
Ranked #14 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
Reviewed 31 August 2014

My family (and lately me alone) has been staying at the Sea Shore for six years now and have never had a bad experience. We love the rooms (spacious and clean), the location (can't be beat) and the service (always helpful and always with a smile). So I am puzzled when I read about someone being unhappy. Our beds have always been comfortable, never noticed an unpleasant room odor (maybe we ALL have allergies?) don't ever remember having the air-conditioner behind the toilet (we've stayed in many different rooms) and for such a low price don't really care if there is no place but the raised shower threshold to keep our toiletries. In addition there are three great places nearby for morning coffee, one being the wonderful "Amelia's" attached to the motel (plus Starbucks and Peet's Coffee), a laundromat right next door, a short walk to the beach, a short ride to the Pacific Coast Highway (to Malibu and points beyond), and all the fun vibe of Santa Monica at your doorstep. I actually hesitate to write this review because it might jeopardize my chances for a vacancy next year! (Tip: Book early) But felt I had to speak up for my favorite place in L.A.

Room Tip: For a single person (or couple even) Room 5 is very cozy. It looks out on the parking lot, true, b...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Sea Shore Motel

Reviewed 29 August 2014

Is it swanky? No. Is it clean? Yes! Tile floors throughout mean no gross carpets. Bathrooms all have nice, clean tiles throughout. Comfy beds with different pillows means you have choices. New windows block a lot of sound. We stayed in a downstairs unit but either the upstairs folk weighed less than 100 pounds or the place was built when there was quality building. No room noise from the neighbors on either side of us.
I neglected to print out our reservations for the Getty Villa and inquired at the front desk where I could go to get it printed. The nice guy behind the counter said, "E-mail it to the Sea Shore and I'll print it out for you." After he printed it out, I asked what I owed him and he said, "Nothing!" Wow, who would think THAT would happen in LA?
There's definitely a FUNky 50s vibe about the place AND it's well-maintained, CLEAN, and the people are super helpful. They have FREE parking in back and the location is great, walk to Venice or walk to the SM pier. If you want swank & attitude, go pay $350+ a night. This place is a gem.

Room Tip: A corner room in the back might be more quiet.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 August 2014

I booked this hotel for my daughter and her friends, sight unseen, based on Tripadvisor. They wanted a place close to the beach and with plenty of room. The free parking was a plus, the only negative was that I thought the rooms were pricey for a dated hotel. Overall they were very happy and said they would stay there again.

Room Tip: ask for a suite/room not facing the street.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 August 2014

we stayed 4 nights and stayed for 2 nights in a standard room and 2 nights in the suite. The reception staff were friendly and helpful and we were very happy with the location. The beach was a 5 minute walk and the beach is magnificent!
The are a few blocks to the left were shabby ,this area is Venice beach direction.

We loved the suite. Large ,well stocked with a little balcony overlooking main street. Free parking and wifi ,close to the pier .We got lazy and drove!
We were very happy here and the reception gave us a lend of beach chairs and umbrellas .
Did I mention ,we though it great value.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 August 2014

The full suites are wonderful facilities, the location couldn't be better, staff very helpful and friendly.
Right on Main Street (the old original centre of lovely Santa Monica), by lots of restaurants, cafés beauty places and shops, a couple of blocks from the beautiful beach, and a shortish walk to the Pier and Third Street Promenade and all that stuff.
If you want an independent stay in the best location of all Santa Monica, this is the place, we wouldn't stay anywhere else.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 August 2014

As everyone has said previously, the location of the Sea Shore Motel is terrific. The free on-site parking is also terrific.The room, however, left a lot to be desired. Upon entering the room I was blown away by the smell, which I eventually decided was a combination of that mildewy smell you often get in cheap beach motels mixed with very strong paint fumes. I could see patches on the walls that clearly had been recently repainted. We kept our front door and windows open whenever we were in the room during the day to try to air it out. We also kept the noisy table fan on (it helped cover the traffic and people noise from being right on the street) and the AC which, oddly enough, was a small window unit located over the toilet in the bathroom! You had to keep the bathroom door open to get any cold air in the main room. The wifi was hit or miss throughout our 3 day stay. The bed was absolutely the worst I've ever slept on. Rock hard and soooo uncomfortable.The pillows were old, dingy and very flat. The shower was a small, stall style one with no place to put any of your toiletries. The entire room just needed massive updating.

The man who was working at the desk was nice when we checked in. I didn't bother to ask for a different room since it was a holiday weekend and they were sold out. I'd rather pay more and stay somewhere a bit nicer.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Chris B
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Great location one block from the beach, walking distance to Venice boardwalk. Shopping and restaurants at the doorstep. Fresh produce market across the road on a Sunday morning was a bonus. We stayed on the 2nd floor generous size though average rooms we did have noise issues with the room next door but management deal with this very quickly. Location and price for this area is the drawcard.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple