“Cherie Rocks, Right Price, Comical Housekeeping”
Review of Santa Monica Motel

Santa Monica Motel
Ranked #29 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
Denver, Colorado
“Cherie Rocks, Right Price, Comical Housekeeping”
Reviewed 14 January 2014

The Santa Monica hotel fit my multi week project budget very well. It was close to some great restaurants and the beach and I really enjoyed strolling through the nearby neighborhoods with their quaint bungalows and beautiful gardens.

Throughout the weeks I stayed I was very impressed with Cherie’s helpfulness, professionalism and service which greatly exceeded my expectations. The room I stayed in hadn’t been renovated yet and was like going back to an off-campus undergrad dump, but Cherie helped me find a desk, drawers, fridge and microwave, and bedside tables. After a few days I was able to scrounge up a couple more lamps and even a power strip to complete the long-haul setup. The only thing missing was a velvet Elvis painting. The maid service, however, was comically inconsistent – I didn’t know they furnished cups until the third week there, and the number and assortment of towels hanging and / or placed in the bathroom every evening had a funky randomness to it. The bath mat would lie on the floor for days and get grubby while the one plush towel I'd hang up to reuse would disappear the first day. This stuff was laughable and not enough to get me to switch to another motel.

Hopefully when the motel renovation is completed the rooms will be fully furnished with dressers and desks or tables. When my project brings me back to Santa Monica, I’ll be ready to check in again!

If you stay there, be sure to check out Satdha, a great vegetarian Thai restaurant that just opened up a block east!

Room Tip: Get a room away from the main street and ask for one that's been renovated.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Andy F

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 8 January 2014

I wanted an affordable and clean place to sleep while exploring Santa Monica and that's exactly what I got.

The main reason I would use them again and recommend them to others is how they helped me out when I left a personal item at the hotel. Sheree at the front desk talked with me on numerous phone calls and even made sure my item was dropped off at a UPS store so I could ship it back. That was definitely above and beyond the call of duty and I am very grateful for it.

Room Tip: ask for a second floor room; they are further from the street and thus quiter
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Nykoebing, Denmark
Reviewed 6 January 2014

Very pleasent stay at the motel! Clean and comfy rooms.
We made a mistake and booked a day more than needed - the hotel have a non refund policy, but still the receptionist made and efford and contacted the travel agency and promised that if they was OK with it, she would refund. It all worked out and we didn't need to pay a an extra night while being in San Diego.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 11 November 2013 via mobile

Mostly clean. Room 8. Window glass broken, unpainted parts of wall, stained curtains, generally rundown, flaking paint/cigarette burns (we had a non smoking room) on top of credenza which had a missing drawer pull, hard, cheap mattress. To top it off, the maid didn't know how to make a bed - we had to completely remake the bed (a first). The bottom sheet was only tucked in at the top of the bed and didn't even extend down to the bottom, the top sheet was on top of the blanket rather than under the blanket and the pillows were dreadful. Once remade, the bed was barely adequate. I can't believe anyone would rate this motel better than a "no" star. Good service or location can't make up for the other failings. We (or the staff) were not trusted with a TV remote or a hair dryer in our room, so we were given them when we checked in. Then both TV remotes didn't work. We had to ask for glasses - and drowned our nonrefundable payment in a glass of wine.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Cal_Travel_Lover

Travellers are raving about these Santa Monica hotels

Hemet, California
Reviewed 2 November 2013

Close to Santa Monica Pier and restaurants, it took us about 10 minutes to walk down to the Pier. Clean rooms, no problems with the wifi and the poeple who works here are very nice and helpfull. I recommend this Motel and we will come back!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
Reviewed 23 October 2013 via mobile

We were looking for a cheap motel in Santa Monica, found this one for one night @ $130. Location is ok and it is ok clean but there was no AC "AC is not included with small rooms" (room for 4 people, 2 queens). 88 degrees at night with a small fan...awesome!
One towel had a huge blood stain...which isn't the best way to feel good after showering!
Shower was renewed so it was a highlight of this place.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
London
Reviewed 14 October 2013 via mobile

Good location, only 10 minutes walk from the restaurants and bars of Main Street and 15 minutes from the beach and promenade.
Room was a little small for 2 queens, but perfectly adequate for our needs and everything was nice and clean.
Wifi was slow but that's to be expected and it was free so not much to complain about there.
Would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for somewhere to rest their head for the night in a good clean hotel close to everything. If you want luxury, go somewhere else (that will be a LOT more expensive!)

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends