“Very nice quiet spot in Santa Monica”

Oceana Beach Club Hotel
Ranked #4 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

Just finished a trip to Oceana and was quite impressed. Very smooth and professional check in. Excellent one bedroom suite with kitchen with a nice sitting area outside. We chose a first floor room facing in on the courtyard/pool area and could just step right out to the pool. Great for our two boys. Food service poolside was great and the pool was relaxing and fun. Really no complaints anywhere. Parking is steep at $38 per night but this is comparable to other top hotels in Santa Monica.
I stayed at Shutters on my last trip to Santa Monica and Oceana is far better in my view. Bigger rooms, better pool, and not so busy. The only small consideration is that you are about 10 to 15 minutes walk from the Pier, versus a few minutes at Shutters or the other major hotels further south.

Stayed: July 2014
Write a ReviewReviews (1,144)

Reviewed 9 July 2014

A great little central courtyard and pool area. Rooms are clean and large. Restaurant food is pretty good but expensive. 30$ for breakfast buffet? This was my first stay, and I'd come again. Great staff.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 July 2014

This was our 3rd visit back to the Oceana - A fantastic little boutique hotel right on Ocean Ave. This was a work/play trip, so during the day, I worked in our room (virtual worker) while my wife and sister-in-law went shopping and sight seeing.

As always, the staff was very professional and accommodating. We mainly used the hotels Tower 8 restaurant for breakfast, which was delicious.

Our rooms (104 & 105 - they are on the 1st floor at the southwest corner) were immaculate, beds & pillows perfectly comfortable.

Everything was perfect - We can't wait to be back again next year.

Room Tip: Have always stayed on the first floor, facing Ocean ave. I really wouldn't want any other room.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 June 2014

This is our new favorite place to stay in Santa Monica!! Our ocean view room was huge and beautiful, all blues and yellows! The staff was very helpful and friendly. The complementary cruiser bikes were fabulous and made getting around so easy! The bed was so comfy. We love the location, the cute bar and restaurant and will definitely return.

Room Tip: If you can afford to get ocean front, the view is great and the windows are huge and open.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Elizabeth A
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Upon arriving, The guys who meet you at your car couldn't be nicer with a welcoming greeting. That sets the tone right there. They were great the whole time. Always a smile. Check in was easy and brief. Our room, one bedroom suite was spacious, clean and very bright. Bedding was really comfortable, shower had very good pressure. plenty of towels too. The pool was very relaxing, not big but big enough. There was no hustle and bustle. The service around the pool was very attentive too. The buffet breakfast was great with a ton of choices. Maybe a little pricey but quality was excellent. Checkout was brief as well. I have stayed at a lot of other places in Santa Monica and I have to say that this was the best one yet!

Room Tip: None of us had Ocean views but didn't seem to bother us. Just check the rates before you book. W...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Jonathan L
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I recently stayed at the Ocean Hotel in Santa Monica. It is a very pretty hotel. I had two rooms one was a suit and one was a standard room. I was charged $455 a night for the standard room. While it was clean and very nicely decorated it had a very small dark window and a shared entrance with another room. It really wan't worth what I paid. The other room was a suite and while it was a bit more expensive it was worth the upgrade. They seemed a bit overwhelmed with the number of guest they had. At breakfast one day we ordered something and it took an agonizingly long time for it to arrive. When we eventually complained the wait staff was nice and said the kitchen was backed up. I only wished they would have told us that before we ordered and we would have gone someplace else.

My biggest problem was at check out. When I went to check out the billing system was down and I asked to review the charges when the system came backup before being charged. That evening I still had not received a invoice from the hotel but they had run all the charges through to my bank as opposed to the credit card I wanted the charges placed on. I tried to quickly solve the issue and asked that they put the charges on the requested credit card but they refused to do so unless I filled out a form and faxed it to them. I was traveling in a car and did not have a convient place to do this. After several hours of emails and phone call the hotel finally agreed to take my credit card over the phone and to withdraw the pending charged to my checking account. This was all a very stressfull way to end our vacation. So if you want to stay there be aware that as sweet and nice as everyone is, they are very quick to bill you for everything and will do so even if you haven't had the chance to review the charges. We frequently stay in Santa Monica and will take the Oceana off our list.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank 295SUe
Reviewed 8 June 2014

I often travel to and stay in Los Angeles, and I have stayed in many hotels, including all of the top ones, but Oceana is, as of now, my very favorite. The room was large and cheery and comfy, the pool just right for a dip and the restaurant excellent for both breakfast and dinner. And the location couldn't be better.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business