“Small family-run hotel that feels like home.”
Review of Rest Haven Motel

and 1 more site!
Rest Haven Motel
Ranked #33 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
Reviewed 29 November 2011

The staff here couldn't have been nicer, and the location was perfect - walking distance from most SM destinations and close to many stores and restaurants. Clean room, too - reminds us of a guest house in Europe or Asia. Small, but comfortable. Thank you, Rest Haven, for a pleasant stay!

• Stayed: October 2011
resthavenmotel, General Manager at Rest Haven Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 November 2011

Glad to know that your stay in our "small family-run motel" was a pleasant one. Our appreciation too for the nice review. Thank you very much. Have a good day!!!!

Reviewed 28 November 2011

We were in town for the American Film Market and stayed for 8 days at the Rest Haven Motel. It's very conveniently located at the intersection of Lincoln and Pico and only 2 bus stops from the beach with Big Blue Bus 7. The rooms were comfortable and clean, with cable TV and wifi. Janet from the reception desk is very friendly and helpful. Great value for money. Next summer I'll be back with my girlfriend !

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
resthavenmotel, General Manager at Rest Haven Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2011

Thank you so much for finding a time to write a review about us. Hope you had a nice and memorable stay with us. It will be a great pleasure to welcome you and your girlfriend sometime around. Have a good day!

Reviewed 28 November 2011

Nice place, the location is very close to the Santa Monica beach. The price is very good compared to other motels around.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends

We at Rest Haven Motel appreciate your comments. Rest Haven Motel is the only motel on Lincoln Blvd. in Santa Monica which has two rooms with three beds (#4 and #7) , one queen and two twins ,for a big family or a group. Thank you for staying with us and hopefully to see you again. Have a nice day!

Reviewed 30 September 2011

The staff was very friendly and obliging. The room was clean and comfortable. The location is not far from the beach (about 15 minutes), and also to the sightseeing bus stop (starline) (15 minutes). We will come again.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
resthavenmotel, General Manager at Rest Haven Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2011

It's very nice of you to post a review about your stay here in our place, thanks so much. Looking forward to welcome you again sometime. Have a wonderful day!!!

Reviewed 28 September 2011

Actually, I've been here numerous times now. I wrote a review about a year ago saying I loved the place, and I still do. This is a classic little motel with a quaint neon sign- it almost begs for some 1962 Fairlanes and Belairs to be parked out front! The rooms are clean, neat & well appointed with lots of hot water, quality cable TV, in-room safe, a good mattress(smaller than some big chains' rooms, but I don't mind that), and the service is personal and friendly, as if you were in Mayberry instead of Los Angeles. The word "cozy" also applies here. I actually find myself hating to leave when I stay here, and I think that even if my business took me to other parts of LA, I would still choose to stay here, off the beaten path in Santa Monica.
I love to get up early, walk a short block to the Novel cafe (very cool) for coffee, & read the LA paper. Feels like I live here!

Room Tip: There are only like 10 rooms! Call & make a reservation.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
resthavenmotel, General Manager at Rest Haven Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 September 2011

Wow, that`s a very nice review. A second timer and still impressed, our service is proven to be as good as the first time if not better. Glad to know you are one of our most valued guests who give importance and credit a job well done thru your positive review. Hope to welcome you the third time around. Have a nice day.

Reviewed 24 September 2011

Having read the reviews on Tripadvisor, I decided to stay at the Rest Haven in late September. Janet greeted me and is very friendly and helpful. We also spoke the next day and she gave me suggestions on things to do and a map of the area. I found her to be more helpful than the day I spoke with the owner. My room was #9. It was very clean, updated, had a refrigerator and a flat screen TV. I enjoyed seeing what folded towel animal I would have on my nightstand everyday. Albertsons is just a few streets to the south. A little farther down (must use car) is a Whole Foods. A 7-11 is nearby and plenty of little places to eat. Many nicer places to eat on Main Street.

The bad news is that wi-fi was not accessible in my room. I could get it if I opened the door and stepped right outside or in my car. I believe if you have one of the rooms closer to the office, you can get wi-fi in your room. Luckily I have a smart phone so I used that a lot and then took my Ipad when I went out. There is a Coffee Bean two blocks down. I didn't go there but they usually have wi-fi. Also, please note, there was no A/C in my room. I didn't need it since it was September, but I think if it had been just a little warmer I would have needed one. I would not have been comfortable opening my window at night while I slept. I always bring earplugs when traveling. You will definitely need them due to noise outside the motel.

I wanted to do a lot of walking so one day I walked to the beach and one day I walked to the Third Street Promenade and back. If I wanted to go to the beach to sit, I would drive to Ocean Blvd and park at the lot at Hill street. $1 for each hour, limited to 3 hours. That way I could carry my beach chair and other things easily, then come back and go to Main street and stop at Starbucks or whatever. There is also a lot right at the beach that you can pay for and stay all day, but you cannot leave the lot at all.

Overall, I would stay there again. Compare the prices with any other places in Santa Monica and it is a good value.

Room Tip: If you desperately need wif-fi because you are traveling on business, please let them know so they c...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
resthavenmotel, General Manager at Rest Haven Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 September 2011

Hi, ConnieG26, that`s a very precise with plus/minus review, thanks a lot. I'm sure your numerous tips would be very helpful to the other travelers who are planning to visit Santa Monica. As for the wi-fi, okay, we are working on that already, hope the next time you come you`ll gonna enjoy using it. Airconditioner is one of my proposals forwarded to the management, just waiting for the approval. Hope to welcome you back sometime.
Have a nice day!!!

Reviewed 17 September 2011

I reviewed the Rest Haven last year and gave it high marks. A recent return trip proved that high rating to be no fluke. Fred, the owner, greeted me and welcomed me back upon arrival; manager Jannet gave me a fast, efficient check-in.
Outwardly, the RHM appears to be an average motel kept in reasonably good shape. But appearances may deceive. Inside, the rooms are a delight. Built in 1938, the RHM has worn well; the rooms are well-appointed with new furniture; the bathrooms are clean. Two of the rooms in back are, in fact, new and have attractive hardwood flooring. THe Rest Haven has been declared an historical landmark; Fred has maintained it with a dignity that befits that status.
Jannet is a master at towel origami (courtesy of a cruise which taught that) and gave me a different creation every day: goose, dog, etc. Other amenities are very basic, but there is cable TV and very efficient daily maid service. RHM is across the parking lot from Jack-in-the-Box, so it can get a little noisy at night, but I never had trouble falling asleep. If you are looking for value and don't require a fancy Hilton Hotel, call Jannet and say hi.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
resthavenmotel, General Manager at Rest Haven Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2011

Welcome back to our modest motel and it`s a pleasure to know that our place and service remained true to your standard, thanks so much. Reviews, especially positive, serve as our guidelines and get hints as to how our Motel continue to be affordable and attractive to our future guests. Hope to see you the next time you visit Santa Monica.