“Can't understand why this is so well reviewed!” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Rest Haven Motel

Rest Haven Motel
Ranked #30 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
cultv
“Can't understand why this is so well reviewed!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2013

I stayed here based on the trip advisor rating, but I am struggling to see why folks are so positive about it. Stayed for 3 nights and had a lot of trouble sleeping as the walls are paper thin. You can hear everything from the room next door. There is even a sign asking to give the TV down after 11pm, but the walls are so thin in this place that I could hear a pin drop next door.

Location is not great, although only about a one mile walk to everything you need, you are in a suspect neighbourhood and basically off a freeway. I didn't feel particularly happy to leave my stuff in the room as it only had a feeble lock and the main door was often left open. On the plus side parking was free and easy and it was cheap compared to a lot of Santa Monica locations, but I can't think of much else to recommend it.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank cultv
resthavenmotel, General Manager at Rest Haven Motel, responded to this review, 15 April 2013
I cannot find words, the best I can, to comfort you because of what you personally underwent in your 3-day rendezvous in our motel. I had wished you came to us and aired your gripes from the first moment you felt the uneasiness-we could have done something like a change of room. Where you were is a recent additional unit-the other rooms are not exactly the same as your room. We aware of the thinness of the walls, hence, the reminder - regarding TV volume. We would take your findings into consideration and will move on from there. Some, as you have read, like the place and your opinion about it is being respected. People have differences in tastes and likes. I can assure you, we are safe, regardless of how you looked at and thought of the neighborhood. Anyway, thank you for the time spent to post a review, it was helpful, I take it because it is constructive. Have a great day.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Eaton, Ohio, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2013

We knew we weren't going to do much but sleep and this place was much cheaper than anything else available. It was clean and the parking was free. A decent tv and free internet. Bed was alright for one night, but a little uncomfortable. Water pressure was low, but it got the job done. If you are going to spend a lot of time out and just going to sleep, go for it.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Steve L
Truly, according to you, a budget motel. What you paid for is what you get. We felt elated reading your honest-to-goodness comments. Let us take care of the uncomfortable beds you were talking about, and the water pressure, as well. It gives us a feeling of exhilaration noticing the good sides of your stay in the motel. The words can inspire to strive for more changes to entice our guests like you. Thank you.
Sydney
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2013

If you're looking for cheap, easy accommodation in Santa Monica then I would recommend this motel.

The only issue I had was the neighbourhood - whilst it's only about a 25 minute walk from the pier, it's quite a different atmosphere and there were a lot of 'shady' characters around. The first afternoon I was there, not 3 mins after leaving the motel I had a man ask me for money then he followed me for about 10mins which was quite unnerving for my first experience of the city. Throughout my stay there were always beggars lurking in the surrounding streets (and that was only the main roads, as I didn't venture into any side streets) so I would caution solo female travellers to be careful.

However the motel itself was very pleasant and more than adequate considering the price. The lady at reception was very friendly - offered me a choice of rooms on check-in and provided advice on the best way to return to the airport (there's a bus stop about a 5min walk away on Lincoln, that costs just $1 - a great option compared to $20 shuttle if you're budget conscious and don't mind changing buses at the LAX interchange).

The bed was comfortable and the shower was better than most I've encountered on my travels.
There's a lovely courtyard out the back, and the towel arrangements made me smile.
Free wifi is a bonus too.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 13 which is out the back, off a courtyard (which is gated and locked at night - a p...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank Ambellina84
I can identify with your apprehension being a total stranger to the city but we can not be responsible for the environment where we are located. I can not blame you as a lone traveler considering the presence of those elements unwanted yet unavoidable - but things happen as they can happen wherever we are - the location - wholesome or not - this is a fact. I know we are safe where we are. I appreciate all the wonderful things and nice comments. At least, the good stay had obliterated the murky thoughts that swirled your mind with the impression you got about the neighborhood. Let me pacify your troubled mind - it is a safe place so, come again, if you may. Have a lovely day.
Bethesda, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2013

If you are looking for budget and don't mind walking, this is the hotel for you. The neighborhood is a little dicey (the Jack-in-the-box drive thru was 75 feet from my door). About a mile walk to the 3rd Street Promenade and the Santa Monica pier. The place was clean and comfortable. The owner couldn't have been nicer. If you want to spend $400-500 a night 5 blocks away at Shutters, go ahead. For less than $100 you get Rest Haven.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Donbethesda
I might want to suggest "inexpensive and affordable" if we are to be described instead of "cheap". This is truly a budget place for the purpose of offering rooms within means of travelling people. Our guests feel comfortable, hence, compensated-we have nothing more to ask for. We will remember your review and make it our stepping stone to the betterment of our service and to provide comfort. Have an awesome day.
Honolulu, HI
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2013

a pleasant family style motel in a quiet residential neighborhood of Santa Monica. A very nice manager helped me with all my questions. No phone in the room but did have a refrigerator. A Von's and an Albertson's is just a few blocks away for groceries. The Santa Monica Pier is about a 10 minute drive away. Parking is $6 at the pier. Free parking at the motel. We stayed in room #11 which has a twin and a full size bed. Small bathroom but for what we paid, it was just right.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank kcchin
resthavenmotel, General Manager at Rest Haven Motel, responded to this review, 7 February 2013
That was a very pleasant review and it's uplifting. It is nice to find out that you have fully appreciated our place even if it is not an upscale type of hotel. It is unfortunate that we did not have phones in the room because we are thinking most, if not all, have their cellular phones on hand. We are just grateful that we are in a location which has accessibility to different important places as markets and shops for your convenience. Thank you for staying with us.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2013

While clean and convenient it's basically a dive in a very iffy neighborhood. Beds are old and uncomfortable. Hard to find anyone in the office. Very poor water pressure. Room smelled like tobacco smoke.

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank Imvioletsgirl
resthavenmotel, General Manager at Rest Haven Motel, responded to this review, 6 February 2013
The cleanliness and convenience you found in our place is something worthwhile and we thank you for noticing it. Regarding the neighborhood is something beyond our control which we also find somewhat detestable so I would say there's nothing we could do about it. Apologetically, the manager is a jack of all trades so it is impossible to find her planted in the office. The establishment is a smoke free one, unfortunately, we have no control of the customers in their respective rooms, such that, we have no knowledge of their activities, that is, smoking and drinking and others. Regarding the water pressure, we will try to find a way to fix it for your comfort next time. Have a great day.

Travellers are raving about these Santa Monica hotels

San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2013

Chose Rest Haven based on TripAdvisor reviews. Chose courtyard room cited in several trip advisor reviews. Found the room to be quiet as was mentioned in other trip advisor reviews. I stayed 1st week of 2013. Room was clean. Manager had issue with slow running shower drain fixed promptly. Lincoln blvd does have its share of down on luck types but didn't feel unsafe. When I decided to extend my stay, manager didn't inconvenience me by having me change rooms. Would stay there again.

Room Tip: Get courtyard room if you are noise sensitive
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
This is one beautiful advantage of following other people's opinion based on their experiences. At least, you were rewarded by your being a smart listener. Thanks - you are always most welcome anytime. Good day!