“This is a Motel”

Ranked #30 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“This is a Motel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014

This is a motel. I kept reminding myself of this fact (because honestly, I don't remember the last time I stayed in a motel). With that said, I showed up at 11pm to check in and the office was closed. I finally located the phone number and called. Only then did someone emerged from a room and checked me in. It's a motel! The office is enclosed in glass (bullet proof? Maybe. I didn't test it). Maybe this says something about the neighborhood. Maybe this says something about Los Angeles as a whole. We did the transaction through an opening at the bottom of the glass enclosure, with me standing outside and she safely behind the enclosure. This is a motel! She escorted me to my room through a locked gate.

The room was small, filled with a bed and two small dressers. This is a motel! She turns on the sink faucet and told me I would need to keep it running for a while if I wanted hot water. Same goes for the shower. This is a motel! The internet works best outside, she tells me. This is a motel! On my return from town the next day I had the feeling my towel was the same towel I'd used that morning. This is a motel! In the shower I could hardly bow down to wash my feet on account of how small the shower was. I'm 6.2....and this is a motel!

But I thought the place was clean enough, and the staff courteous.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank ibekaba

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Always on the move
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2014 via mobile

We happened upon this place at 10pm one night when everyone else was full and/or much more expensive. It's an old motel with a cute courtyard in the center. Rooms are very small but the owner has obviously taken care to update the place with new floors, mattresses & flat screen TV's. It's very basic but for the price of $90 & the location it could not be beat. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed January 2014
3 Thank 2Luvbrds
st louis
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2013

Took the wife, kids (6 & 9 yrs. Old), and in-laws to Disney for the week. We stayed at another resort for a week but needed a place for an additional day before flying out the following morning. I booked this resort mainly for the pools and it did not disappoint. I requested an early check in as we needed to be out of our current resort by 10 AM. The normal check in is 4 PM. The girl at the desk was absolutely wonderful and while our back to back rooms were not ready at 10:45 when we arrived, she was able to get us two rooms on the same floor across the hall from each other. Instead of waiting for our original rooms to become available, we took these. The rooms were clean, beds extremely comfortable. The only oddity of the room is the half shower door and the single door that slides for the bathroom and closet. It really is no big deal and my kids thought it was really neat, however, this might annoy some travelers. The pools are spectacular. They have both a heated pool (was 89') and a non heated pool (was 75') along with 2 hot tubs, a slide, suspended bridge, rock wall, bikes, paddle boats, and a huge work out room that would put some clubs to shame. The staff were excellent and we never had a problem getting food or drinks while at the pools.

Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank ziggy0108
resthavenmotel, General Manager at Rest Haven Motel, responded to this review, 13 December 2013
This is not ours. We do not have pool. Thank you.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2013

I've now stayed at the Rest Haven probably more than 30 times. I guess you can tell I love it- it's tiny and homey, just right for me. Cheap. I love the staff, there's no turnover, eferyone's friendly. I've been using the table in the little courtyard more lately for reading in the mornings. I've stayed at a few other places too, including Rest Haven's main competitor across the street, but I don't believe in writing negative reviews unless things are REALLY horrible, so enough said. TripAdvisor keeps bugging me for more reviews, I think I'll do a few for places I like when I'm in Santa Monica (frequently, I guess you can tell). Classy Cleaners on Lincoln Blvd, Santa Monica Radiator Repair on Lincoln for various car repairs, there's a 7-11, Subway & Laundromat too on Lincoln & Pico (walking distance from Rest Haven). Denny's further north on Lincoln if you're not a fan of the nearby Jack In The Box (like me). Albertson's south on Lincoln.

Room Tip: rooms are all different; there are 2 small rooms that are directly off the cool little courtyard.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Johnsparks
resthavenmotel, General Manager at Rest Haven Motel, responded to this review, 9 November 2013
Thank you for your review and good words. We do have a lot of repeated customers and we cherish them all. As you well said this is a homey little motel in the heart of Santa Monica.
Hope to see you again.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2013

Nice friendly hotel, rooms are very clean and there are some nice touches. Overall don't expect anything amazing as this is a budget hotel but is good value for money. Lady at reception was extremely friendly and helpful. This is more like a family run operation so they give you that personalised attention. Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jimmy S
Yes this is a budget motel in Santa Monica which an expensive city. We try on daily basis to improve the quality of our motel and listen to our guests. Thank you for staying with us. Have a great day.
Omaha, NE
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2013

Traveling down the Pacific Coast Highway landed us in Santa Monica for the night. We started looking for a hotel using the Yelp phone app, but every place we called was full. We called Rest Haven, were told they had vacancies and she offered to text me the address. When we drove up to the hotel it was not fancy, but the property was well maintained and clean. The room was small but had the amenities we needed: refrigerator, TV, wifi and free parking in front. The room and bathroom were very clean. The hotel is located behind a Jack in the Box, with the drive thru lane across the lot from our room, but there was minimal late night noise. The lot was brightly lit, which is good for security, but some light does leak in around the heavy drapes on the windows. The staff was pleasant and helpful, gave us a map and suggested we visit the pier. It is not a fancy motel, but it was clean, economical and comfortable for our one night stay.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Changitah
resthavenmotel, General Manager at Rest Haven Motel, responded to this review, 14 December 2013
Rest Haven Motel is not a fancy motel but clean with family oriented environment and friendly staff. Thank you again for staying with us. Have an awesome day.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2013

I booked my stay at the Rest Haven Motel after a thirty year absence from Santa Monica. I didn't want to stay in one of the overpriced multi story hotels that have overtaken the once low key community. We stayed in one of the rooms on the side street, and it was a nice sized room with comfortable beds and a real full sized tile shower. Yes, the Jack in the box was next door ( great since there are no coffee pots in the room), and there are some fairly seedy looking places on Lincoln Avenue, but the neighborhood behind the motel is neat and friendly, and a great place to walk if you don't want to head down to the beach. Everything you could possibly want is within walking distance; a Von's supermarket (and the room has a fridge that's big enough to actually hold some food), the beach, the San Mo pier, and the third street promenade with shopping and restaurants. The windows actually open to let in the cool night air, and there's lots of storage space for your stuff.

It is not a cookie cutter modern hotel, and if you are offended by the occasional homeless person on Lincoln Avenue, stay away, but if you want a convenient, clean, comfortable room at a reasonable price, this is for you.

P.S. The owner's son showed us to our room, and is adorable!
P.P.S. If you score rooms 13 or 14 you have a wonderful enclosed patio to yourself!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
5 Thank mnlohman
resthavenmotel, General Manager at Rest Haven Motel, responded to this review, 6 September 2013
Your wonderful and nice appraisal of Rest Haven Motel greatly impressed the Management and it's Staff. We are glad and thankful that our modest rooms have provided you the comfort you deserved since our main goal is always to meet our Customers' full satisfaction while staying and relaxing in our property, the Rest Haven Motel. Feel free to return to Santa Monica, CA and be booked in our Motel. We anticipate another future booking from you, your family and your friends. Oh as you mentioned also ("The owner's son showed us to our room, and is adorable!"). It's not the owner and yes the son it's a great help. Thank you again and have a wonderful day.