“Disappointing”

Le Meridien Delfina Santa Monica
Ranked #13 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 23 September 2013

I am a Platinum member for years, I have never had a negative experience at a Starwood property...until now! There was no note online when booking about the construction at this hotel. I was on the top floor of the hotel and it was still VERY loud and disruptive. The construction and jack hammering continued throughout the day at the hotel until 4:30 pm. I had to relocate to take conference calls. When I tried to eat lunch by the pool, my plate and glass shook around the table. I finally just paid the check because it was so loud.

When I approached the staff about the issues, they made NO effort to explain the situation or to make it right (i.e. Take lunch of the bill, give a free breakfast or drink etc). They did say that it would continue for a few months as they became a Le Meridian. I would not go back. I suggest waiting until the hotel is completely renovated.

The location is good, within walking distance to the beach. The pool is small and parking is expensive.

Room Tip: Just clarify prior to booking to see if construction will take place during your stay. I would hate...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
StephenSowards, General Manager at Le Meridien Delfina Santa Monica, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2014

Dear Tvlgirl88-
Thank you for the feedback regarding your stay last September. As the new GM, I noticed that you had not received any response back from the property on your comments. I have reviewed your comments with my leadership team and have reviewed our procedures and training around your comments with staff and service expectations. Again, we appreciate the comments and we will work harder to ensure that our guests always exceed the Starwood guest expectations and our brand standards are in full compliance.

Stephen Sowards

Write a ReviewReviews (1,312)

Reviewed 22 September 2013

This hotel has just been taken over in fact the change happened on the day we arrived. Apart from no signage to identify it from the road and a lot of people chasing around we checked in with no problem. Indeed the member of staff we dealt with us could not have been more professional. Our room was clean, spacious and really upmarket. The hotel is about fifteen minutes walk from downtown Santa Monica and there are a few cafés nearby. I was charged on checkout $5.48 for a bottle of water left in the room that should really have been complimentary (like most hotels) but given I wasn't charged for other items it would be a bit churlish for me to go on about this. Ok now the parking, I know many reviewers have mentioned this subject and they are quite right to raise it. Quite frankly if any hotel does not provide adequate parking spaces for its customers in an attempt to promote its chargeable valet service it is indeed a very questionable practice. On attempting to park myself I found there were no self parking spaces left, however there were plenty of valet parking only spaces available. I simply left the car in one of these reserved spaces, told the receptionist what I had done and the reasons for my actions and heard no more about it. In any event it would be business suicide to start clamping or towing away paying customers vehicles just to make an extra buck or two. So there you have it, I have given this hotel five stars for the simple reason I enjoyed my stay and had no real hassle what so ever.

Room Tip: Just leave your car anywhere and tell reception why.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Chris J
DelfinaGM, General Manager at Le Meridien Delfina Santa Monica, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2013

Dear Chris J,

A general comment about parking obviously needs to be made: The hotel is trying to provide options for those traveling to Santa Monica via their own transportation.

With that said, we are a very busy hotel and, although we have the required number of parking spaces, accommodating all who wish to drive is at times difficult. In order to have enough storage for all automobiles driving to Le Méridien Delfina Santa Monica, we must valet at least 50 percent of the cars, as it is only through this measure that we can accommodate all of our guests.

We not only provide discounts to our visitors with Hyrbid vehicles and for those who travel to our hotel by public transportation, but we also provide bikes to get around the city. The exercise and fresh air will be great. And with everything within walking distance of Le Méridien Delfina, you are sure to have a great stay.

Come see us again any time.

Yours truly,
Kara Altice-Montes
Area General Manager

Reviewed 21 September 2013

From the moment we arrived, the staff at this hotel were very friendly, welcoming and helpful - special thanks to Jimmy Auila who gave us great service. It is a very nice hotel in a good location - only a few blocks from the beach and shopping areas. We enjoyed our stay and would recommend this property to others.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
StephenSowards, General Manager at Le Meridien Delfina Santa Monica, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Dear JMR700,
Thank you for choosing Le Meridien Delfina Santa Monica. I noticed your stay from 2013 was not responded to and as the current GM, I am reviewing past comments and wanted to let you know that your feedback is important to us. I will share your comments with Jimmy and recognize him accordingly for his efforts. He does an outstanding job with our guests and we appreciate all he does for us. Thank you for your business and we hope to see you again on your next trip from New Zealand.

Reviewed 21 September 2013 via mobile

Stayed for 11 nights during switch over from Sheraton. Only thing I noticed was a change in uniforms on the day we left.
Before we arrived had requested higher floor with reasonable view. On arrival were offered choice of 2 rooms - both on 1st floor. Picked the supposedly upgraded room in the cabana suite. Was just an average king room with a pathetic view( see pictures).
Cleaning service was a bit erratic with a reluctance to replace toiletries. This was easily solved by helping ourselves from the permanately parked cleaning cart in the corridor. We also had fun negotiating around the used room service trays that lay about for days at a time.
We had breakfast once and paid $50 for not a great deal. Our biggest shock though was being charged $18!!!!!!!!! for a glass of wine and a coke!!!!!!!!!.
The hotel is situated too far away from beach and city. And although we walked almost everywhere as each day passed the walk seemed to get longer and longer(maybe because the area is quite desolate and drab).
The hotel is more suited for short stay or business trips
A definite plus for the hotel is that all staff were pleasant a and courteous

• Stayed: September 2013

Dear jintyminty,

I do believe most inconsistencies you found were due to our transition from Sheraton to Le Méridien.

The room you chose was in our intimate Cabana wing, which is typically more accommodating to somebody seeking a more residential setting. But it does sound like we missed some opportunities during your stay, which is so unfortunate given your length of stay.

Please call upon the General Manager personally upon your next journey to Santa Monica. We want to ensure any long-term and loyal guest is given the finest level of service and accommodations during their stay.

Yours truly,
Kara Altice-Montes
Area General Manager

Reviewed 21 September 2013

Stayed two nights on a business trip as this was one of two hotels my company partners with. Staff was great. Room was awesome and clean. The bed was incredibly comfortable. Typically when beds are too soft I get a little backache in the morning, but it wasn't the case here. Also, the bar downstairs is a great place to just grab a few drinks and meet others. It's a nice place and I would definitely come back.

1  Thank sfcw2278

Dear SFCW,
Thank you for posting your review from your stay in late 2013. As the GM, I am currently old reviews that never received a response back. Your feedback is important to us and we appreciate you chose our hotel for your business needs in Santa Monica. Thank you again for the business and we hope to see you down here in Santa Monica soon.

Reviewed 20 September 2013

Courtney, Patrice, and Ashleigh were super helpful and professional. They made my stay more enjoyable. I travel for business often and their staff keep me coming back. Though I was surprised to see it rebranded as Le Meridien. It makes sense b/c its such an upscale place, thought I'm sad to see the perks of the Sheraton brand go...The Club! I hope they repalce it with another program for their SPG guests. Westin has the New Balance program and Sheraton has The Club. I don't like the down pillows though, way too soft and often I have to stack 3 to sleep on.

Dear AMH40,
Thank you for the review you posted late in 2013. As the new GM in the hotel, I am reviewing old reviews and responding so that you know it is important to us and your feedback is invaluable to the operations of the hotel. I will share your comments with the Front Desk team and recognize them accordingly. We appreciate your business and hope you will visit us again this year.

Reviewed 20 September 2013

A very nice hotel with very friendly staff and excellent service. A few blocks from the beach and Aanta Monica Place and 3rd Street shopping. However, far more financially friendly than properties nearer the water and in a much quiter neiberhood.

Property has recently undergone a multi million dollar renovation and looks great. Dining options near by and at the hotel are more limited but a long walk or short drive to a number of excellent restaurants. Nice happy hour at the lobby bar and daily dining specials that are a great value. Easy to get to I-10 and PCH from hotel.

We were upgraded to a nice semi ocean view room that was nice size with a small balcony. Not large enough for two. Consider the Delfina if you are in the Santa Monica area

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear 49024-
Thank you very much for your comment in September 2013. As the new GM, I noticed that you had not received any response back from the property. Your comments on the renovation, friendly staff, and other items are truly appreciated and I will recognize those departments for their contribution. I wanted you to know how important this feedback is to both our future guests and our team here in the hotel. Thank you again for the business and please come back and visit us again in 2014!