“It's all in the details”

Le Meridien Delfina Santa Monica
Ranked #14 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 1 October 2013

When we reserved here, it was a Sheraton. When we showed up, it was a Meridien.

Front desk was a mess because it was temporarily relocated to the concierge desk while they were doing renovations (didn't honor our Club reservation from Sheraton until we complained, long line of people and only 2 clerks, a loud and irate customer being handled by very junior staff). Overall the staff quality was very uneven.

Room was fine and plenty big, but the brand switch they recently did wasn't enough to cover some flaws - worn trim on the walls & bathroom, uneven drawers in the dressers, aloof servers in the breakfast restaurant, valet who lost our car for half an hour, etc. The place just doesn't measure up to Starwood standards I've come to expect.

It was perfectly fine, don't get me wrong, but the "ordinary" Sheraton I stayed in the night before in Anaheim was flawless by comparison, and half the price.

Room Tip: Aim for the SPG floor.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Al_Amun
StephenSowards, General Manager at Le Meridien Delfina Santa Monica, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Dear Al_Amun,
Thank you for sharing your review of the property in 2013. In reviewing past unanswered reviews by guests, your review caught my eye and especially with the word "details" in the heading. Our apologies for the inconvenience as it appears you visited during the renovation period and transition to the brand Le Meridien. As the new GM of the property, I have taken your comments and shared the feedback in hopes of training opportunities for our staff. It is "All in the details" and I appreciate the honest feedback. We hope you will give us another opportunity and please reach out directly to me at the hotel should your travels bring you back to Santa Monica. Travel safely.

Reviewed 30 September 2013 via mobile

As an SPG member I was highly disappointed ! For the same money you can stay ocean front steps away from the beach ! This location is a category 2 hotel with contemporary furnishings. Highly overpriced with management who knows nothing about the business. I thought from other reviews id check it out for myself, I had the same experience and will never return. The staff is excellent which leads me to say the problem persists with the management! ( if you have to change the hotel name and for some god forsaken reason keep the same management staff and the same experience persists, ITS THE MANAGEMENT)The music is pleasant is some areas with it ear deafening in others, the staff can't do anything unless multiple people complain. In my book, one complaint is enough. I'm not going to repeat everything negative everyone else had to say, those were my personal top problems. I'll share a few photos !

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank 1busyman

Dear 1busyman,
My apologies that you did not receive a response to your TA review from 2013. As the new GM, you were very clear with your expectations of leadership and as a Top Contributor on TripAdvisor, your feedback is very, very important. Even moreso, you are part of our SPG Family and the fact that we did not exceed your expectations leads to the review you posted. Since my arrival to the hotel, the guest comes first and foremost. Your review is posted in my office now as a starting point to focus on with our SPG guests. It is important that you know how important you are to us and if visiting Los Angeles again, I hope you will give us another opportunity. I can be reached during normal business hours and hope to see you again in 2014.

Reviewed 29 September 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for one night. The hotel was good but next time I will book something closer to the beach. The staff were helpful and the rooms were nice and clean. The car park and enterence was often congested.

• Stayed: August 2013

Dear AdventureLive,
First I would like to apologize for the delay in response to your TripAdvisor review. As the current GM, I am reviewing past comments and responding on behalf of the hotel. As a Top Contributor to TA, your feedback and taking the time to share is truly needed and helps the hotel achieve greater success for our stakeholders. I appreciate the positive comments about the property and will share with my team. Thank you for your business and we hope to see you again this year.

Reviewed 29 September 2013

We stayed at Le Meridian Delfina Santa Monica recently and were consistently blown away by the staff.

They repeatedly went out of their way to make our stay as enjoyable and comfortable as possible.

And that's only the beginning....

Not only were the facilities top notch but the food is as good if not better than many of the best restaurants in Santa Monica.

There are so many people we could thank. From Courtney to Hugo to David.....the list goes on.

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

Dear Ezra,
First and foremost, our apologies for the delayed response to your review. As the current GM, I am reviewing past comments and yours caught my eye. We appreciate the positive comments and I will share your comments with Hugo, David, and the rest of the team. Thank you very much for your business and we hope to see you again in 2014!

Reviewed 29 September 2013

I am a platinum member of the spg and normaly always feel welcome and recognised. When I booked the hotel it was a Sheraton. When I checked in on the 11th september it still said Sheraton, even tough the was some Le Meridien signs at some places. To begin a just thought it was an old Le Meridien thas had changed. As a platinum member you get acces to clublevel. Normally free soft drinks and snack and breakfast. In the hotel map it still sad that I had this previliges and it also sad when I booked the room . In the afternoon me and my wife desided to go to the bar, which hosted the club. There was a lot of customers and I showed my Platinumcard and asked for 2 cokes. The bartender looked at me at se had never seen a platimum card before. Then see called someone and we were then told, that we could not get anything as the hotel was turning in to at Le Meridien. It was so imbarrassing in front of all the other customers. I meen wee spend 350 dollas a night and stay more than 50 nigts a year in the SPG. I have had my harley shipped over from Denmark and am on a tour across the USA and has been very loyal to the SPG becuase I like its benefits. If there is a SPG hotel I always stay even thought there might be some better and cheaper hotels. When my tour finsh in one week I have had 55 nights so fare this year! Just vacation not business!!

2  Thank Hans N

Dar HansN,
First and foremost, as a Platinum SPG member I apologize for the late delay in responding to your review. As the current GM, I was not here when you stayed but it sounds like your experience is not what is expected from a Le Meridien and I want you to know that we have taken your feedback and incorporated it into our process to ensure this does not happen again. We appreciate your business and hope that you will reach out directly to myself if your travels bring you to Los Angeles again. You can reach me during normal business hours at the hotel.

Reviewed 26 September 2013

This is my second time staying at this hotel in Santa Monica (first time was December 2012) and once again I was pleased with my stay. It's recently rebranded as a Le Meridien and I guess they are doing some renos but it still looked the same as it did when i stayed here 9 months ago. It's very chic! Nice decor and the rooms are large. I was in a King room and I had a great view of Santa Monica and a little ocean view from the ninth floor. A little balcony with stable and chairs was a nice touch.

Hotel is super clean, room is clean and prett and bed is very comfortable and they were quick to bring me fresh towels when I asked for them.

There is an Illy coffee maker in the room which was great.

Excellent service and staff is very friendly.

Free WiFi in guest rooms for Starwood loyalty program members (it's a free program to join)

Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business

Dear Kattrins,
Thank you for your review in late 2013 from your stay. As the current GM, I am reviewing old comments that never received a response and yours caught my eye. It is important to us that we communicate with our guests and they understand how important the information is for us in the hotel. We appreciate your comments and look forward to hosting you on your next visit to Santa Monica.

Reviewed 25 September 2013

The hotel is well located within walking distance of the beach and downtown Santa Monica. We booked 1 night initially and then decided to add another, booking both by phone to make sure all was booked correctly. Despite calling the hotel three times prior to arrival to make sure they had our booking as a 2 night stay rather than two separate one night stays, they still had it as 2 separate bookings, so the check in agent was unsure as to the type of room we should have for both nights. This was a bit annoying after the effort we made with the reservations staff. however the hotel staff (Tim on reception especially) were excellent and sent us champagne and dessert as an apology.
The hotel was very nice, as was our room (the bed was so comfortable!) and we really enjoyed the hotel's bike rental service, which we used to cycle along the coastal path to Venice. Overall we had a really good time here, though the hotel's reservation system could clearly do with some improvements. I understand the comments about the parking, however we managed to find a space on both days without too much trouble.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms on higher floors are the best.

Dear CaliforniAkib,
Thank you for sharing your comments from your stay late 2013. My apologies that you did not get a response but I am reviewing older reviews that did not get any response and noticed your review. The comments about reservations will be reviewed for corrective action. I appreciate your recognition of Tim and will share with him your comments. Thank you for your business and we hope to see you again in 2014!