“Decent location and good service”

Le Meridien Delfina Santa Monica
Ranked #15 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 16 October 2013

I'd rate this as good if it were the option (goes from average to very good). Decent location, free self parking, etc. Its nice for business or to use as a home base if exploring LA. I would not say its a place I'd want to hang around all day at the pool. I've stayed here a bunch of times before the switch to Le Meridien and it feels exactly the same as the Sheraton. I don't think they really did much. Not the most luxurious or fancy but it works, and I'll probably continue to stay here when I'm on business in the area.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
DelfinaGM, General Manager at Le Meridien Delfina Santa Monica, responded to this reviewResponded 29 October 2013

Hello abc713,

Your loyalty is so important to us.

Although all of the new Le Méridien accents have been set, every day still brings new changes with continued installations of Art, upgrades to our meeting facilities, and on and on. All of these steps into refining our new brand and guest experience is also in line with our new AAA Four Diamond rating.

And, since you stay often, I suggest you try our Cabana Building when you’re back. Step out onto our new grassy wedding lawn there and relax in true SoCal style.

On your next visits, we will look forward to offering you a range of new, eye-awakening perspectives. Hurry back.

Area General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,335)

Reviewed 16 October 2013

Even though the hotel is not right at the beach, you will get a much better deal hear than at the beachfront hotels. You can walk to the beach in 10 minutes, and to the shopping area around 3rd street promenade in 15 minutes.

Newly rebranded from Sheraton to Le Meridien, and the hotel looks fresh and newly renovated.

Profecional and efficient service. Rooms are fancy With a "boutique" look and feel.

Only drawback is that the bathrooms are a bit small.

Highly recommended.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank AceF1969
StephenSowards, General Manager at Le Meridien Delfina Santa Monica, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2014

Dear AceF1969,
In reviewing historical TA reviews, I noticed that your Oct 2013 review had gone unanswered as the hotel was in transition during that period. As a Senior Contributor of TA, it was important that I respond to your review as the new General Manager. We thank you for your review and taking the time to provide the feedback for us to understand our guest's needs and then focus on exceeding their expectation. Your comments on the transition to Le Meridien are greatly appreciated as the team worked very hard on this brand conversion. We appreciate your business and hope you will come back to visit us in 2014!
Best Regards,
Stephen Sowards

Reviewed 16 October 2013

I am currently at the delfina and its 10 pm 3 rooms service orders later and I have still not been fed. This is the experience at the delfina. The room service and food is horrible, I ordered a meal straight off the menu with no exceptions ...40 min later and they send me a completely different chicken dish and tell me when they delver it..oh yeah we didn't have it but can't you take this one? After paying 27 bucks for what I wanted I told them no. Then I call bak and they refuse my call, 20 mins later trying to get room service I order another item straight off the menu and confirm the ingredients and ask for some dinner rolls. 40 min later I get another completely wrong pasta dish and sliced white bread with jam?.???. I seriously thought I was n a hidden camera show, unbelievable! I called the front desk and 20 min later no call back. What a horrible place to stay and even when you have money to spend they can't get it right. Too bad I have 5 more days here..putting lipstick on a pig still can't make up for poor service.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not next to the street, will keep you up all night
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
4  Thank Ladogger

Dear Ladogger,

I agree. This sounds really out of the ordinary. I’m so surprised all of this could happen in one evening and all at our hotel. But please do respond to the private messages I have sent to you in these past few days so that we can look further into the details of your order.

This type of situation should never be allowed to continue.

Reviewed 14 October 2013

The absolute highlight of our stay in L.A was our time in Santa Monica and at this fine establishment. Renovated into a trendy/chic boutique style venue, The hotel and its workers were fantastic.
On the 'other' side of Santa Monica, it is only a 10 min leisurely stroll to Beach or Third Street Promenade Shops/restaurants.
The decor in the rooms is top notch. Comfy beds and a quiet location made for a great nights rest.
My Family enjoyed the quality and atmosphere of the fine hotel

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank BozzaM

Dear BozzaM,
Thank you very much for providing the review for Le Meridien Delfina Santa Monica. As I was reviewing past TripAdvisor reviews from customers, I noticed your review from October has gone unanswered and that is not acceptable from our perspective. As a Senior Contributor, your feedback is extremely important and we appreciate you taking the time. We are very happy your family enjoyed the hotel and we hope you will visit us again.
Best Regards,
Stephen Sowards

Reviewed 14 October 2013

I booked this room after receiving an e mail for a promotional price since it was the new Le I expected a "new" hotel but the rooms still felt old. There were dings and chips on the furniture. The bathroom didn't seem updated and in fact there were many dings in the bathroom. My bed squeaked went I got in and out. The first night we ate in the bar area and the music was very loud. The waiter said we could eat in the pool area but a party was going on and it might be too loud. The next night as we were in the elevator going to our 7th floor room many young adults with drinks in their hands were waiting to get on the elevator. It seems that a lot of events happen at this hotel. It has a strange vibe, more of a party hotel. The distance to the beach is about 10 min. but it's on a very busy street. If I visit Santa Monica again I would stay closer to the beach. We enjoyed breakfast and the staff/menu is very good. If you get there early enough, there is self serve parking which is free.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank somanyoptions

Dear toomanyoptions,

You are spot on about our hotel’s atmosphere – it invites you to relax, be playful and have fun. The vibe fits all ages and personalities. You can be whoever you are and still fit in at every turn.

But what isn’t acceptable is finding dings and chips on our guestroom furniture. Our very excellent Housekeeping Team – who has managed to accomplish the hotel’s most top scores in our Starwood guest satisfaction surveys – will be so proud to take on all further responsibilities in reporting on these visible blemishes. Consider dings and chips at Le Méridien old news.

Thanks so much for taking some time to share your thoughts about your recent visit to our hotel. We will look forward to being your only choice in Santa Monica whenever you’re ready to come back.

Reviewed 12 October 2013

This holiday was booked through Virgin, I really don't think Virgin should have this hotel on their holiday page. It's a nice hotel but they centre their hotel totally around business people. The check-in staff (the odd one was downright rude!!!) seemed surprised on our arrival to realise we were staying for 2 weeks! The first thing did was to take over 900 Dollars off our travel card! In case we spent lots on food and drink during the 2 weeks!

Being a hotel the food and drink was expensive so we had a pizza (yuk), and drank at the bar a couple of times (neither of us are big drinkers and the girl behind the bar was so unfriendly). Anyway, after missing just over half a day of our holiday and trying to deal with unhelpful Accounts staff, I finally met Manager Helen. She was magnificent and had our money returned right away. She even treated us to a champagne breakfast. Thank you Helen you're great, especially since you think I'm cute.

The room which was lovely (same can't be said about the view) was cleaned everyday. The cleaning staff were always thorough, polite, and happy people. The cleaner who worked in room 720, if you found my camera cable amongst the bed sheets, can I have it back?

A special word too for Jimmy Avila, the Concierge. What a lovely guy, very professional and helpful. An asset to the hotel, you're the champ.

All in all this hotel has a good central location for all of the attractions. Clean and tidy, and the staff work very hard. However, I really wouldn't recommend it for a 2 week stay. We didn't let the various problems we encountered here spoil our holiday. I wouldn't stay there again, but it's great for a 1 or 2 night stay.

Room Tip: Don't go for the cheapest
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
DelfinaGM, General Manager at Le Meridien Delfina Santa Monica, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2013

Hello Shas49,

I am a bit surprised by your comments. At every turn of our hotel, our guests should encounter heart, inspiration and service from each of our associates. Anything short of this is unacceptable. And with that said, we take your comments very serious and will be conducting a more thorough look into your claims. (Please see that you have a new message in your TripAdvisor inbox.)

On the other hand, we love your perspective on our rooms, which are so chic! The décor is a narrative evocative of Santa Monica’s surf, sun and sand. (We give our brilliant designer Andrea Dawson all the credit.) With the spectrum of luxurious amenities that abound, all within your fingertips – from illy’s In Room Espresso Machines, to high-speed internet access, to our cozy Platform beds, all within a smoke-free setting – you’re set to have a seamlessly pampering experience whether you’re staying two nights or two months. For this (and for Jimmy and Helene, both from the Front Office, as well as our Housekeeping Team’s stellar work that you mention), we will take all of the credit.

Upon your next visit to the West Coast, we do hope you consider giving the new Le Méridien Delfina a second chance. There's plenty more on the way.

All the best,

Reviewed 11 October 2013

We stayed here for two nights on a points stay - it had already made the transition to Le Meridien when we arrived and we had received an email advising us of the change and telling us that they were looking forward to our stay, which was nice.

Check in was speedy and efficient. There is a self parking garage next door to the hotel which was great - there were lots of spaces and there are some elevators which go directly to the garage so that helped with the luggage.

As part of being SPG Gold, I was offered a choice of amenities and chose free wifi for the duration of our stay. This is really important to us as we were travelling from the UK and rely on Skype etc to stay in touch with home. The wifi was absolutely awful - hardly any reception at all and once you found a spot in the room where it worked you dared not move as you would lose it again. This was a big let down for this kind of hotel.

The bed was really comfy and the bathroom was spacious. There was a small area with a mirror outside of the bathroom where you could use the hairdryer, which was good.

The decor was really strange. Striped wallpaper and funny angled corridors were weird. The rooms were decorated in black and blue - I think supposed to be funky but really not that nice.

The location was further out from the main attractions that I had realised. It was a good 20 minute walk to the main shops, probably about ten minutes to the beach. The hotel was served by a good bus route (the 7 and 7 Rapid) which was only a dollar and great value. It was a bit far removed from the main area for me though.

All in all, there was nothing terrible about the hotel, but the dreadful wifi and the location means that its unlikely I would stay again and probably wouldn't recommend it to others looking for a hotel in Santa Monica.

Room Tip: We were in the furthest room along the corridor which may have contributed to the bad wifi. Try for...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
DelfinaGM, General Manager at Le Meridien Delfina Santa Monica, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2013

Scousie–

Thank you for taking the time to share such valuable feedback as one of our first Starwood Preferred Guests visiting us as the new Le Méridien Delfina. While we are still developing into what we are meant to be, we are very proud to become the 97th Le Méridien hotel in the world and couldn’t be more ecstatic to bring the brand to the Los Angeles golden coast!

With that said, we want to make our hotel the best of what Santa Monica has to offer, and we think we can do this. I can also tell you that we are in the process of replacing our entire internet infrastructure and will soon have a new, world-class system with all the latest and greatest.

And while we cannot change our location, our surroundings are simply gorgeous and offer a new perspective on easy So Cal living. Our esteemed designer, Andrea Dawson, was sensitive to a similar notion you share in your review – on how to bring us closer to the water. So she borrowed from Santa Monica's sand-and-sea color palette and brought the cool duo to color our hotel. This nautical-like theme is something to look for in the final versions of our current transition phases.

More ‘wow’ days ahead. Just be sure to keep in touch.