“Excellent hotel, good location”

Le Meridien Delfina Santa Monica
Ranked #14 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
GreenLeadersSilver level
Seattle, WA
“Excellent hotel, good location”
Reviewed 30 December 2013

We booked on hotwire the same day and had no issues with our reservation. The hotel is in good shape. Our room was on the mezzanine level, so we walked up a couple flights of stairs instead of taking the elevator. Room was clean, bed was comfortable. A/C unit was noisy but it was not a big problem. Staff were professional and helpful.

Location on Pico Boulevard was perfect for me and my son. We enjoyed the short, mostly level, walk to the beach and downtown. The hotel is located in a quiet area, we felt completely safe walking back from downtown near midnight.

If you don't like walking or have difficult walking a mile, then this is not the hotel for you. If you enjoy a nice walk and a little exercise, this is perfect. I don't get enough exercise when I'm working, so I was really happy to walk from the hotel to beach and downtown in the sun. I preferred it to a hotel on the beach, and of course it was cheaper. Highly recommended.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
StephenSowards, General Manager at Le Meridien Delfina Santa Monica, responded to this review, 3 January 2014
Hello NoviceWashTraveler,

We appreciate your feedback and positive comments about the hotel. Thank you for the staff comments. I will share these with the team for recognition. We are going to review the A/C in your room to ensure the guest room experience exceeds our AAA 4 Diamond standards. We hope you have a safe and prosperous 2014, and we have lots of sunshine waiting here for your next visit from Seattle. Thanks again and we hope to see you soon.

Stephen Sowards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (275)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Lake Tahoe
Reviewed 29 December 2013

Arrived later in the evening for business and told them I was checking out at 8 am the next morning. With this in mind, asked if they had any upgrades. I was told that all free SPG upgrades were committed that night but I could pay $169 to upgrade to a "jacuzzi" room. Given the late hour, and my SPG platinum status, I found this offer stupid. Clearly the jacuzzi room was going to sit empty. Most properties would just give the upgrade to a plat at that point for free. I declined the upgrade and was given a king room on the top floor--the ninth. The room was spacious but only had a very small sliding door and no other windows. The door led to a tiny balcony. Just enough room for one chair. This would not have been a light and sunny balcony room that you would expect for a beach vacation. Ordered room service that was fast and good quality. Was glad that they offered it until 11pm. My room lost power in the middle of the night, which woke me up. In the am, I looked outside and could see a peak of the ocean off in the distance. N.b. this is not an oceanfront hotel.

Room Tip: There are a few large rooms with full ocean views on many floors. Otherwise the city view rooms hav...
1 Thank SPGwanderlust
StephenSowards, General Manager at Le Meridien Delfina Santa Monica, responded to this review, 30 December 2013
SPGwanderlust,

Thanks for taking the time to provide the feedback regarding your stay. As our property is one of the highest SPG hotels in the L.A. area, our limited number of suites restricts our ability to honor every upgrade to every Platinum SPG member. I am happy to see we could accomodate you on a high floor with an ocean view at such a late hour. Unfortunately, you were in the hotel during the Santa Monica power outage and we have generator backup that kicked in immediately.

Please visit us again on your next trip to Santa Monica as we begin our F+B renovations in early January.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 24 December 2013

We stayed for one night at the LMDSM and let's just say it was a comedy of errors.

First, we arrived and they did not have my reservation in the system. Not entirely their fault as the reservation was made via Priceline.com the night before. We ended up having to call Priceline and get them to re-fax the confirmation. A medium annoyance that delayed us about 15 minutes.

We finally got checked in and we made our way to our FIRST room *insert dramatic sting* on the 7th floor. The floor for Starwood Preferred Guests. We walk in and, while the bed was made, it looked like someone had been sitting on it watching TV or something. Maybe a couple of the cleaning crew were watch football, it was Sunday after all. In the bathroom we found the floor wet, dirty towels on the counter, and a clogged toilet. Apparently that is why the floor was wet. EWWWW!!!!

We made our way back down to reception - did I mention one of the elevators was out of service so waiting for an elevator took a little longer than normal - to get another room (#725). We got another room in about 5 minutes time. This one was clean and it didn't look like Goldilocks had been there just before us. To that I will get into the accommodation. Decor was very nice and the bed was very comfortable. There were some shoddy details to the room that prevents it from being what it seems they want to portray this property to be. For one, the hook on the back of the bathroom door was separating from it. I guess the weight of robes and towels is proving too much for that poor little hook. The light fixture in the exterior dressing area outside of the bathroom was rusty but had been painted over in the remodel and the plastic cover over the light was stained from age.

Now for the final event that made our night at the LMDSM a sitcom episode. We went out to the event that brought us to the westside and had an awesome time. We got back to the hotel and began to prep for bed. While I was brushing my teeth an interesting thing happened....the power went out! It came back on for about 30 seconds and then went out again. At that point I groped for sink like a blind man to spit the toothpaste out and just got in bed laughing hysterically with my girlfriend.

Overall the hotel is very well decorated and the staff was friendly and did try very hard to make up for the reservation snafu. Would I stay again? Probably, if the price was right. One last thing, the continental breakfast is RIDICULOUSLY overpriced. It was something like $15 dollars and that was after my 10% discount! I seriously have to mark them down on value points for that.

Oh and the power was back on when we woke up in the morning....

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Postbro1
StephenSowards, General Manager at Le Meridien Delfina Santa Monica, responded to this review, 2 January 2014
Dear Postbro1,

Thank you for the feedback regarding your experience at our hotel. It is very unfortunate the series of events you encountered and I would like the chance to speak with you regarding your stay.

I appreciate and will resolve the guest room issues you identified in your comments to ensure we have corrected those issues. As we have sent you a couple of emails requesting a convenient time for you to speak, we want to be able to provide you with an experience that is indicative of our exemplary service that we try to afford all of our guests.

Finally, the power outage was a grid-wide outage that was resolved within 15 seconds due to our generators located on-site.

If you would kindly call me at your convenience at 310-309-8006, we would like to show you how wonderful of an experience you can have at Le Méridien Delfina Santa Monica.

Missouri City, Texas
Reviewed 21 December 2013

On my visit to this hotel I am shocked to learn that the bellman/valet staff is ripping off customers. Every time I requested a cab/taxi I was asked by the valet/bellman staff if I would like to take a luxury sedan for the same price as a taxi. IT WASNT THE SAME PRICE AND IT WASN’T LUXURIOUS!!!! They ripped me off many times!! The limo service charged me double what a taxi would have charged. I was shocked to learn that the staff receives kick backs from the limo drivers for the referrals. Taxis are parked on the side of the hotel. The Staff pretend to call a cab while they are waiting on the side of the hotel. They call their limo guys so they can make a profit. I was late to my business meeting and lied to. Shame on this hotel!!! It doesn’t deserve the Le Meridian Brand Name.

Room Tip: Do not use the limo service offered by the bellman or valet. It is a rip off they over charge and re...
8 Thank Paladin K
Dear Paladin K,

First and foremost, I want to say thank you for the honest feedback regarding the transportation offered to you by the hotel. Please note that the information you shared has not been taken lightly and immediate corrective action is being implemented to ensure this never happens again to any guest of our hotel. This type of guest interaction is not acceptable and is not tolerated internally, nor with any partners the hotel recommends to our guests.

If possible and at your conscience, I would like to request a time that we could speak about this incident as you referred. You can reach me at 310-309-8006 and I will eagerly await your call.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 16 December 2013

Our organization selected the Le Meridien Delfina to host a one-week series of meetings. We had to fly staff members from around the world, so we selected the Delfina to host the meetings and our staff.

Our representative, Mylene, was extremely helpful throughout the week. We received exceptional support and the red carpet was rolled for us. We all felt that we were guests of honor and this was provided to all guests staying here.

The restaurants were great, the banquet service was excellent and the last-minute changes were done with ease and dedication. We were able to know staff members and everyone was very pleasant to work with.

I also received feedback from our staff staying in the guest rooms and everyone was happy and satisfied. The hotel was recently remodeled and everything is new at the moment. It was also converted from a former Sheraton and the Le Meridien brand has brought a luxury feel inside. The outside doesn't look like a grand hotel but once you walk inside, you're transported to a different world.

Whether you want to stay here for business or on a vacation, or want to host an event, the Delfina is capable of over-delivering.

1 Thank Marvin B
StephenSowards, General Manager at Le Meridien Delfina Santa Monica, responded to this review, 17 December 2013
Dear Marvin B,

Thank you very much for the kind words about the hotel. We truly appreciate your company selecting our property for your business meeting. I will share your words about Mylene's attention to your group and we look forward to seeing you soon!

San Marcos, California
Reviewed 15 December 2013

Fate and Priceline directed us to the Le Meridien Delfina last month! After dining at my favorite LA restaurant - Farm Stand - in El Segundo, we drove to Santa Monica and our evening's lodging. It is a beautiful hotel with an excellent location adjacent Santa Monica High School. We were given a handicapped room on the 5th floor with low bathroom mirrors but a deck and a wonderful evening and morning view of the Pacific. We easily and quite safely walked over to the Third Street Promenade where we window shopped and enjoyed an eclectic group of street performers. We also enjoyed the Fitness Center immensely. Unfortunately Self Parking was a problem due to a wedding reception. Also, one of the main elevators wasn't working which made going to and leaving the room a lot slower! Otherwise we highly recommend this hotel!! OH, and the Valet crew -- simply the best!!!

Room Tip: Request a room with a view of the Pacific preferably on a higher floor!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Geolorenzo
StephenSowards, General Manager at Le Meridien Delfina Santa Monica, responded to this review, 16 December 2013
Hello Geolorenzo,

Thank you for your positive feedback regarding the hotel. We are extremely pleased to be your hotel of choice while in Santa Monica. I will share your appreciation with our excellent Valet team as well. We look forward to hosting you on your next visit. Our lounge and restaurants will be completed by mid-February, so come back and see us again.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 December 2013 via mobile

Booked this hotel as a slightly cheaper alternative to the ones around Santa Monica Pier area such as Loews where we've stayed before. It's a 15 - 20min walk to the Pier or to the 3rd. street shopping areas.

We were given a pool view, but amusingly it turned out to be a view of the pool from the apartment block next door and staring into someones living room wasn't particularly inviting for viewing. The actual pool area was good as was the bar staff and hotel staff generally very friendly.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Captain_JD
StephenSowards, General Manager at Le Meridien Delfina Santa Monica, responded to this review, 19 December 2013
Dear Captain_JD,

Thank you for your feedback about our hotel. We hope you enjoyed our recently renovated guest rooms along with our Illy specialty coffees available at our Zest Kitchen + Restaurant. I will share your positive comments with the bar and front office staff as well. We hope you will choose our hotel again on your next visit to Santa Monica.