“Wonderful Family Vacation, Excellent Staff”

Loews Santa Monica Beach Hotel
Ranked #10 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 24 April 2012

The Loews Santa Monica Beach Hotel has everything you need for a nice beach vacation in LA. The location is superb, steps from the beach and Santa Monica Pier. The property is beautiful, rooms are spacious and very well maintained, the cost is reasonable for a beach front location, and the staff was simply outstanding. By our second day, some of the staff knew us and greeted us by name. We booked a rate that had a $50 credit for breakfast and that was well worth the cost. I can highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Partial ocean view rooms on the north side of the hotel have great views of Santa Monica Pier and th...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (2,714)

Reviewed 23 April 2012

I think some of the bad reviews for this hotel are about one bad experience rather than an overall stay. I stayed in room 312 for three days for business. It was surprisingly quiet and peaceful in my room. The full ocean-view rooms have such great views of the boardwalk activity. Watching people exercise and enjoy the beach and pier was inspiring. Once I left my room, it was a little chaotic because it was so crowded. But I'd still return to the Loews for a next visit.

Pros:
Clean rooms
great chaise in the room for comfy reading and work
big flat screen TV
ample closet and safe was big enough to store my laptop.
clean bathrooms
great views
nice pool (but can be crowded with screaming kids)
really really nice gym- great new equipment
really nice views of ocean
nice location- great walkability to restaurants, really liked Cora's coffee shop for breakfast
walkability to third street promenade offers everything you need
-great bar drinks
-complimentary yummy lemonade in the lobby
-consistently nice operator calls and service

CONS-
very few cons
although there is free wifi in the lobby, they charge you $11 per day in your room which is an unfortunate nickel and dime charge. i travel a lot for business and there are plenty of nice hotels that offer free wifi in your rooms. add to that, the wifi connectivity in the room was very inconsistent. so be warned, if you need to do work in your room, be aware of wifi issues
- the hotel can get really crowded. they host a lot of weddings and business meetings. if you want complete quiet and relaxation, you might not get it here
-the valet can become very busy too. allow enough time to call ahead for your car. one time i called ahead, and they never had my car pulled up
-they charge $36/night for overnight parking. yikes.

Room Tip: The ocean views are totally worth it to me. So much to see on the boardwalk and horizon. Ask for t...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank marinasurferchick
Reviewed 23 April 2012

My family (8 of us total) stayed at the Lowes over Easter Weekend. We used the hotel's facilities extensively and I can honestly tell you that this is a fantastic place for all ages/ the staff does a wonderful job. A couple of minor hiccups here and there, but all to be expected during a packed holiday weekend.

We had 4 rooms - 2 oceanview on the delux (south) wing and 2 connecting rooms (for my sis, her husband, and their 2 kids) over the pool on the north wing. Delux rooms are worth the extra $$ - they are much bigger and have a much more light and airy feel to them.

My husband and I arrived a day earlier than everyone else, so we had a good opportunity to scope everything out before the rest of our party. Check-in was okay. We first dealt with Christen, who was very warm and welcoming and allowed us to check our bags until our room was ready (we were super early-- around noon). However, when we returned Christen had been replaced by a fatigued-seeming woman who was very cold. Nevertheless, she gave us our room keys and we were on our way. Room (delux) was beautiful: very spacious, keruig coffee maker with lots of coffee/ tea 'pods', healthy options in the mini bar, BIG bathroom! One complaint - thin, crispy, cheap toilet paper (a personal pet peeve).

We ate at the hotel bar that first evening and had local family members join us (inside first, then outside by the fire pits once they were lit- beautiful!). Food and service were great! Happy hour specials on most drinks, but beware the house 'pinot grigio'-- it is very buttery, almost like a heavy chardonnay (we sent it back and they took it off the bill immediately). Food was typical burger/ fish taco fare, but very well done and fairly priced for the area. Loved the quesedillas and the s'mores for dessert!

I also used the salon-- would NOT recommend the eye brow shaper-- she seemed "off" (she claimed she had too much caffeine) and I was not thrilled with the results. But, she seemed to be an independent contractor, so it's hard to fault the hotel too much-- and I'm picky about my brows.

My family also used the gym, which is very nice - about 5 treadmills, 2 ellipticals, 2 bikes, weights, etc. Very clean, well lit, everything in good condition. One catch - there is a $10 fee to use it. There are also yoga and spin classes, which I did not try. Not sure if they cost extra on top of the $10 fee.

We rented bikes from the hotel (about $7/ person/ hour). Roller-blades were also available. Bikes were not in the best condition (you can get better by just walking down toward the Pier about 5 mins), but we liked that we could charge them to the room and not have to carry cash on our rides. Tip-- ride north about 3 miles to On the Beach Cafe with the orange plastic chairs for an excellent breakfast!

Spent time in the pool/ hot tub. Very clean, but hot tub doesn't get especially hot (although I guess this is good for kids). Tip-- get chairs on the north side of the pool if you want the morning sun. The south side is all shadows in the AM. For fitness buffs - pool is available for lap swimming with lane lines in the early AM.

Pool does get crowded in the afternoon and service can be a bit slow, but they scene is so gorgeous with the views of the pacific and santa monica pier, it's hard to get too cranky about it.

Easter Brunch: AMAZING! One of the best brunches I've ever had (and I am a frequent bruncher). Two rooms of gourmet food - completely worth the approx $75/ person price tag (champagne included). Loved the frushi, the chocolate mousse french toast, and the eggs benedict best.

Really the only major downer of the weekend was when the above mentioned grumpy front desk worker (not Christen, the other one) wouldn't give us a late check-out so that we could linger after our brunch. Not even 30 minutes extra! I get that the hotel was full, but there were 8 of us staying there that weekend and our brunch tab alone was $$$$. I did expect more in that regard.

Nevertheless, considering that we have family in the area, I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again. Great facilities, great location, and (mostly) great service.

Room Tip: Delux rooms are worth the extra $$ - they are much bigger and have a much more light and airy feel t...
Reviewed 23 April 2012

We stayed at this hotel during Christmas holiday. Location is great, right next to Santa Monica Pier, however overall I expected more for the price I paid...we had a ocean view room overlooking the pier, the room was fine...nice bedding...bathroom is old and the floor was not very clean...enjoyed the coffee maker in the room...pool is tiny...and parking is outrageous for $35.00 a night with tip budget $40.00/night. We had lunch by the pool our first day, while the view was great, price was on the high side, 4 sanwiches and couple of sodas was almost a $100.00 ( an order of 3 sliders for $18.00!). I definitelty think the sister hotel in San Diego is much nicer. I will go back if I can get a good deal otherwise not worth it.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Ashley41353
Reviewed 22 April 2012

My daughter & I just came back from LA, we stayed initially at the Peninsula great service as always , and they could not do enough for you, everyone was great, then we went to San Francisco, again great service at the Fairmount, we stayed 3 days, and then before coming back to UK we were going to stay at the Loews looked great and we booked to stay before we flew back to UK and stay the last 4 nights at Loews.

However I cancelled you ask why well the reason being simple, when you pay $700 per night you expect to get free Wifi & Free access to he Gym. I was told initially whne I booked that it was free to use the gym by the Hotel Booking Centre, and assumed that the Wifi was free as in most Hotels of this standard.

So I called 48 hours before leaving SF, to confirm our booking and also to clarify the situation in relation to free WiFi & Gym only to be told that WiFi was not free it was $15 per night and the gym was $10, well you dont expect to pay for these in a Hotel like this.

So I told them that I was not prepared to pay for these items as these should be free and there was free WiFi even in McDonalds, so I told them that I would cancel if these standard items were not free but they did not listen, so I cancelled, makes good business sense to me for this Hotel to give a total of $100 away free they would rather loose £2,800 obviously they're making too much. So we stayed at the Peninsula for our last 4 nights.

Loews emailed me and this was there response.

"We do completely understand your concern to stay elsewhere. We hope that your stay at The Peninsula is a great one, and wish you a great weekend.

Thank You for considering Loews Hotels,"

But really I think this Hotel group really needs to rethink on these standard items and also my friend was going to stay with them in the summer as they stayed with them in Miami a couple of years ago and now he has decided not too because of these small things Loews Group get a grip and start providing these things free. But people you decide.

Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank mannaitch
Reviewed 22 April 2012

My wife and I just went to a wedding at the Loew's hotel and "low" is a good description of their attitude toward customer service. We had to leave a black tie wedding party at Loew's at 10PM. I wanted to attend the end of a party at our building. I went to get my car and it took over a half hour to get my car.

First they sent me back to the party to get validation. Then no one knew about it. Then they sent me to the front desk. The assistant manager was called. He did not have the ability to validate. They sent me to the bar. No they couldn't do it, but they insisted that it was complimentary and would take care of it. It took another 15 minutes of fumbling around to get my ticket back. They made me run a few more errands then put me at the end of the valet line that was now forming 3 couples deep and then took another 10 minutes to get my car. When I complained to the valet he said - I'll get the manager for you to complain to.

Well, we just grabbed our car and got out of there as fast as possible, missing our other party and leaving the hotel really pissed off. I don't know whether the hotel is good or not, just don't give them your car if you want it back in a timely way. They don't have a system worked out and they are more then willing to torture the guests rather then tighten up their own system so innocent people going to weddings don't have to leave with a bad taste for Loew's.

I have never been to a hotel so unwilling to go the extra mile to make a guest feel welcome. I will not be going back there anytime soon.

5  Thank Robert W
Reviewed 18 April 2012

We stayed at Loews last September 2011, twice. At the beginning of our trip we arrived after a long flight from Brisbane and our room was not ready... this was disappointing because our travel agent notified them in the booking that we would need early access. The check-in consultant had a "tough luck" attitude, this did not please me. The next two days were brilliant the restaurant food was divine, the cocktail bar area was a favourite with us AND kid friendly. The view of Santa Monica pier is lovely, particularly at night! We returned to Loews after 3 weeks of travel to spend our last 2 days before flying home, we were given a free room upgrade and the lovely ladies in the cocktail bar remembered us and made our stay very pleasant.
The pool area is gorgeous and it is a beautiful hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the pool, you don't want to be on the ground floor which is below str...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family