“Didn't know about the renovations...” 3 of 5 bubbles

Loews Santa Monica Beach Hotel
Ranked #13 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
GreenLeadersGold level
London
“Didn't know about the renovations...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2013

We stayed here a couple of years ago and always wanted to come back. Managed to get a great rate paying up front a couple of months in advance but didn't know about the renovations. To be clear, they are only affecting the front of the hotel but its very disconcerting when you arrive and it isn't clear where to get in! The lovely sweep drive is only partially in use so that causes a backlog if a lot of people want to use the valet at the same time. We twice waited nearly 10mins for our car. I think that reduces the rooms available as we were on the side street which although had a view of the ocean, was across the car park which wasn't quite what I had in mind.
Otherwise the room was well appointed and bed comfortable. Strange shaped bathroom, with the bath almost under the sink, but it was full sized and fills quickly.
Lots of building work going on across the street so interested to see how that changes the neighbourhood, as its a little further away from the action on third street than the other Ocean Ave hotels.
All in all fine, but not quite was I was hoping for. Will stay elsewhere on our next trip to Santa Monica.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank ASWh
LoewsSantaMonica, General Manager at Loews Santa Monica Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 5 March 2013
ASWh
Thank you for taking the time to share details of your visit this past December to our hotel. We were very pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay. We do regret that you experienced some delay with the valet service due to the façade renovation taking place during your visit. Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience this caused you. We are happy to advise you that our circular drive is now open and fully operational. As well, our façade renovation is in the final stages and near completion. We do hope that you will return to our hotel to experience our new look and share your feedback with us. We do appreciate your business and look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.
Paul Leclerc – Managing Director

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (544)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Port Elgin, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2013

Stayed 4 nights in February and had a great time on our first trip to Santa Monica. Yes, there is scaffolding and noise right now but this is a lovely hotel with an amazing location! I found the service to be exceptional with friendly staff everywhere I went.

We were upgraded to ocean view rooms to accommodate for the construction (room 550) and it was beautiful. Every amenity and beautiful bathroom with tiled walk in shower and soaker tub. Comfy beds and lots of room.

The location is perfect with a quick walk to restaurants, the beach and shopping.

The only complaint is the price of wifi in rooms ($11/day) and a cost to use the gym ($10/day) which is ridiculous considering the price of this hotel/night! Luckily, the friendly front desk clerk signed me up for a Loews promotion which gave me both of these for free during my stay. Well worth asking about it! The fitness facility is nicely equipped, the pool and hot tub are great. I didn't try the spa treatments.

Would definitely stay again!

Room Tip: Room 550 is ocean view with a large balcony but has 2 double beds.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank OntarioHopper
OntarioHopper

Thank you for your recent review of Loews Santa Monica Beach Hotel. We know how valuable your time is so we truly appreciate you taking a moment to share you experience with us. It seems as if you were able to fully explore the amenities of the hotel, and we are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed them all. Our spa and fitness center, pool and hot tub really are ideal places to unwind after a long day around the city. We hope that you consider Loews Santa Monica Beach Hotel your new home away from home when visiting the Los Angeles area. We eagerly await your return!

Central Coast California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2013

I have always wanted to stay here. I saw a deal on Travelzoo and booked. The deal included $85 in hotel services, free bike rental and upgrade if available.

As previous reviews stated there is scaffolding outside the windows. They are trying to update the hotel during low season. This wasn't disclosed, but if a property isn't updated then people complain about the aesethics. Plus once I saw this it made sense why this was a Travelzoo deal,

When I arrived, I asked if an upgrade was available. Was told yes and was given room 810. The room faced the courtyard but there was a partial view of the Santa Monica Pier and beach. About 9:15 we heard this sound that could be heard over the TV that sounded like some type of drill or other automated tool. We knew no construction was going on but couldn't figure out what the sound was. My husband called the front desk and was assured the noise would be addressed immediately and it was.

Then around 11:15 pm the sound started again-another call by my husband. This time he was told there were elevator problems and this is were the noise was coming from but it would be addressed. At 1130, noise continuing. I called the desk and was told maintenance was working on it. I was offered earplugs or some noise neutralizing thing, I have used earplugs when staying in a city hotel with street noises but why would I have to use them for hotel related noises. I said "No and do you have another room available?". I was told yes room 505 was available. I asked her why wasn't I offered this initially at 9:15 instead of at 11:30 when we were ready to go to bed? She said she would give us a $50 hotel services credit-OK,good customer service.

Then, the morning of checkout, we thought we'd go for a short bike ride. I went to the front desk and asked how we obtain the bikes. We were told to go to the bike rental place on the beach and tell them we were staying at Loews. We did, but the Bike Proprieter told me that we would have to leave a picture ID while we took the bikes. In this age of identity theft, I declined to do this. Then she said we put it on our credit card and then credited when Loews paid them.I said "thanks but no thanks". Why wouldn't Loews have some type of voucher or at least better system for their bike rental system? Leaving your picture ID may have been ok in 1979 but not today.

Then I went to check out and my $85 credit had not been applied. I realize this was a simple oversights, but in was just one more thing.

But here are the good things about the hotel. Beautiful Lobby, close to Santa Monica Pier and 3rd St Promenade and lovely pool area. The courtyard of the pool area opens up to a view of the beach. The pool is long enough for lap swimming and is opened at 5:30 for early morning lap swim. The staff had very good customer service skills. According to the concierge, it is a 3 mile walk to Venice Beach. The front of the hotel faces busy Ocean Blvd but the back of the hotel where you exit for the beach is on a quiet street. It really is practically on beach.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank labonvoyer
Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2013

The hotel is well run, beautifully decorated, and in a great location. Nice open, bright, airy lobby, with a pretty and open pool area, although it was under renovation during my stay. The problem was the scaffolds cutting off my view of the ocean and the pier. Otherwise, great staff and good vacation property.

Room Tip: Rooms on top floors have good view of the ocean and pier, but need to request pier view.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2013

A friend & I stayed at this hotel recently for 2 nights. While in a great area and adjacent to boardwalk and the Santa Monica Pier, the Loews Santa Monica Beach is underrgoing major renovation and scaffolding, which is NOT disclosed on their website in any way.Nothing like LOUD drilling and other construction work waking us! We paid extra for a water view which was blocked by all the scaffolding work. In addition, we called and were assured the 2 bedroom suite had a couch that would fold out to a bed, which OOPS, it did not! The front desk personnel and manager made adjustments to help us but buyer beware, the LOEWS Santa Monica Beach Hotel does not practice full,transparent and honest disclosure with respect to these issues.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Felicia S
Felica
Thank you for taking a moment to bring to our attention your recent experience with us. We would like to take this opportunity to extend our sincerest apologies for the inconvenience you experienced as a result of the façade renovation taking place at the hotel. We take great pride in the quality of services and facilities we provide and continually strive to provide a supremely comfortable experience to each and every one of our guests. Our façade renovation project is near completion and we truly hope that you will allow us another opportunity in the future to exceed your expectations. We look forward to your return.
New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2013

I want to start this review by saying, I am normally a big fan of Loews hotels. I especially love the lows property and south beach Miami.
I was bringing my daughter to California to celebrate her 16th birthday. I mistakenly believed that the lows in Santa Monica Beach would be an equivalent to the lows in south beach Miami.
We booked a 3 nights stay nowhere on any reviews or websites was there any mention of the extensive construction that was taking place on the property. We got there late at night I was told about the scaffolding outside all the guests to room windows. We were told that if there were men working on the scaffold to close our curtains?? Why would we stay in a hotel on a beach to close the curtains?
When we got our room there are no outlets to plug computers laptops phone charges etc. Also the room looks very old and in need of an update. Not modern like most lows that I had stayed in. The first morning my daughter was getting dressed ready to go to the pool when a man walked outside on the scaffolding. We went downstairs and the lady at a desk was very accommodating moving us to another room. But we wasted a lot of our day with the move.We were unable to use the pool as my daughter felt uncomfortable because it was completely surrounded by scaffolding with people working on it.

Room Tip: Make sure to ask for a room without scaffolding!
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Kieran H
Kieran H

Thank you for your recent stay at the Loews Santa Monica Beach Hotel. Our congratulations and best wishes to your daughter on her 16th birthday! I would like to extend our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you experienced as a result of the façade renovation taking place during your visit. We truly regret the inconvenience this caused you. I would very much like to further discuss the details of your visit. To this end, I would ask that you to contact me directly as I would appreciate the opportunity of speaking with you.

Saint Simons Island, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2013

This hotel's location is great. Yes, it's on the ocean, but it is also so walk-able to the Promenade, restaurants, and shopping.
I attended a conference with over 300 people. We needed a variety of different size meeting rooms from a total group ballroom to break out rooms that would hold a dozen people. The Loews has excellent meeting facilities. And their AV technical team is smart, very responsive, and customer service oriented. They work hard to make your meeting a success and seem to be unflappable. You can be confident they will find a way to make your meeting come off without a problem.
The hotel rooms are also well appointed, comfortable, and newly remodeled. The bathrooms have two sinks and a separate toilet/tub/shower divided by a sliding door. The amenities are of good quality, and frequently replaced. The towels are plentiful and my room was serviced shortly after I left it for my meetings. They have Keurig coffee machines in the room so if you use one at home pack your favorite K-cups and enjoy it in your room.
I am not a big breakfast eater, and Loews converts their bar into a quick grab n go breakfast stop serving your favorite Starbuck's beverage, bagels, toast, fresh fruit,juice, yogurt, and a few other pastries. If you like the full breakfast, their restaurant does a great job. In the evening the bar (mentioned above) is a great place to enjoy a glass with colleagues. The temperature was not higher than 62 while we were there, so we could not try the outside bar by the pool overlooking the Pacific Ocean, but we would have if it had been warmer.
Everyone we met on the property was happy, pleasant, and service oriented. I highly recommend the Loews for business meetings and conferences, they know how to help put a meeting together.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business