“Amazing location, great staff”

Ranked #11 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 31 March 2014

We had an amazing time. The property is beautiful and you couldn't be in a better location right in front of muscle beach and within walking distance of the pier. We upgraded to a mini-suite and were so glad for the extra square footage and ability to close the bedroom door. Every staff member was so friendly and helpful. We would definitely return.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank SuzanneLVOD
Rachel K, General Manager at Loews Santa Monica Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2014

Dear SuzanneLVOD,

Thanks for the amazing review. We are happy to hear you enjoyed our property and everything our prime location has to offer and also excited that you will be returning – we can’t wait.

There are newer reviews for Loews Santa Monica Beach Hotel

Reviewed 31 March 2014

The best part of staying at this hotel, were the friendly staff, manager Randy, and bell hops. That's it! My room, which cost over $1,400 for 3 nights, was dusty, old, paint and wall paper peeling off ceiling and walls. The closest door was stuck and I couldn't open it. The bed was horrible. The controls for the A/C didn't work well and I had to push over and over to turn off and on or temperature up or down!!. The windows and doors, looked like someone tried to repair, but never really finished and painted it. It looked sloppy and unkempt!
I tried to get my room comped but was told my card was already charged and I couldn't do that. Instead I was moved to another room. This room faced the pool and others windows, so I had to keep my curtains closed. I lost my ocean view but was still charged the same amount. Upon wakening the next morning, I decided I'd rather be home in my own bed, and checked out a day early. Randy the manager, did refund that last night, because I left. But I was surprised that I saw a nice "review" from Zagot.com, framed and prominently displayed on the front desk. It read in part.." Lovely rooms, Amazing beds, and Lovely ocean views.." How can they put such an untrue review of a hotel, that obviously desperately in need of a Face lift! If I were the owners, I would close for a few months, and renovate the entire hotel from top to bottom. The bar also had a blocked ocean view..that was so small. The entire experience was awful, but was told the GM, would contact me via mail, and possibly send me something? Ill be waiting, but until then, I will never stay here again, or suggest to anyone to do so either.

Room Tip: Choose a room, at a different hotel altogether!!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Maranee L
LoewsSantaMonica, Manager at Loews Santa Monica Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2014

Thank you for your comments. We have indeed reached out to you privately.

Sean Steenson

Hotel Manager

Reviewed 31 March 2014

From the time we were greeted when we pulled up to the resort thru the time we checked out our stay was nothing short of first class everyone was friendly and very helpful!! Loved the place!! The bell captain Roger could not have been nicer. The front desk the waiters. The entire staff understands what great service is all about!

• Stayed: March 2014

Dear Rnunl,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your first class experience. We will be sure to share your note about our friendly and helpful service with the staff, especially Roger. Please come visit us again soon.

Reviewed 31 March 2014

Our room was on the 4th floor which was on the same floor as the lobby. I was somewhat satisfied when we walked in the room with a slight partial view of pier and ocean. The bed was one of the biggest problems. A replacement is in order, room 454. Our main window overlooked The Hotel California and a small roadway. It was loud with vehicles and people for most of the day. The first morning, I was awakened by a trash truck. Oh well, was here on business tab, so didn't complain. Oddly, the bathroom had no door on the area with a sink. Hard not to awaken my spouse when I had a 6 pm wake up and shower. Wi-fi was an ongoing problem until I called and was transferred to someone who took all my information and hooked my devices up. My spouse and I agree that it just didn't feel like a four star hotel. I did use the spa my last day and reserved time for the "signature beachcomber massage." It was so poorly done that when I was asked how I enjoyed it, I said that it was a disappointment and a bad reflection on the hotel, and wouldn't sign up for it again. The spa receptionist did discount a $135 massage 20%. With the tip, I paid $123. I didn't spend any other monies in the hotel. I learned a valuable lesson here. I have a general rule since I've wasted money on hotel and cruise spa treatments in the past, no spas, but after reading good reviews online about the Lowe's spa, I gave it a try. My rule was a good one; I shouldn't have deviated. Proximity to restaurants, shopping, and pier was great. The beach is a short walk, but to my surprise quite a distance to walk on the sand to get to the waters edge. The hot tub was so packed with people that I would never consider getting in. And the pool, well it was quite small and generally full of adults and children. Didn't seem at all relaxing. Quite frankly, I was glad to leave when the time came. The bellman asked how our stay was. Without an immediate response from us, he commented, "that good, uh?" There you have it.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Luanne47

Dear Luanne47,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We are happy that you enjoyed your room’s ocean view and our hotel’s close proximity to the beach but are sorry to hear of your experience with the location and layout of your guest room. We also apologize for any frustration with the Wi-Fi and disappointed to hear of your feedback about our spa. Please rest assured that we will investigate these issues immediately, and we apologize that your impression was not a better reflection of our commitment to excellence. We do value your feedback and would love to have you back. We have contacted you privately to ensure your next stay will be comfortable.

Sean Steenson

Hotel Manager

Reviewed 30 March 2014

A very nice hotel. Staff were extremely friendly and courteous. Hotel was clean and views outstanding. With the exception of overcharging for amenities which is common in upper scale hotels the hotel was just excellent. If you got the cash you can't go wrong with this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Rachel K, General Manager at Loews Santa Monica Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2014

Dear Michael C,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and for recognizing the value Loews Santa Monica Beach Hotel provides. We are very happy that you had an outstanding stay, we value your feedback.

Reviewed 29 March 2014

We had a short trip to Santa Monica and were sad to leave this hotel! The views and location are amazing! The lobby is beautiful, and watching the sunset from the terrace was breathtaking. The concierge, wait staff and front desk were all very friendly and helpful. The one waiter outside was a little overwhelmed, but it wasn't his fault he was the only waiter out there. It's a great perk to have free rentals for the beach. We would go back in a heart beat.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Dear e g,

We were sad to see you leave as well. Thank you for taking the time to share your appreciation of Loews Santa Monica Beach Hotel’s top-notch property and staff. We would also gladly have you back in a heartbeat so please be sure to come back for more breathtaking sunsets.

Reviewed 27 March 2014

Wow, what a place! From the lobby to the porch restaurant and rooms, they didn't miss a beat in Santa Monica. The rooms are an ideal size, great big bathroom and location, location, location. I felt like such a princess eating breakfast every morning, with or without clients, overlooking the Santa Monica pier! Priceless...you'll love it, it's the kind of hotel you wouldn't mind living in it so beautiful...the staff is great also as I got a migraine and they delivered advil...at 4a.m....how nice is that! Enjoy

Room Tip: I need a room away from the elevator & street and lucked out with a slight view of the pier...bu...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Dear colleen d,

Thank you for the fantastic review. We strive to provide the highest caliber of service so we are pleased that you found all elements of your stay to be top tier and the overall experience to be priceless. Please return soon for some more royal treatment.