Loews Santa Monica Beach Hotel
Gateway Hotel Santa Monica(Santa Monica)(Great Value!)
US$272
Travelodge Santa Monica(Santa Monica)(Great Value!)
US$245
US$239
The Ambrose(Santa Monica)
US$439
US$307
  • Breakfast included
Ocean View Hotel(Santa Monica)
US$297
US$423
US$581
US$535
2,800 results
All reviewsfire pitpool deckmuscle beachocean viewsanta monica beachferris wheelgreat poolbeautiful hotelper dayvalet parkingamazing locationthird street promenadelos angelesfew blocksvinepierconcierge
Reviewed 26 June 2014

From the outset, I must state that unless you can afford an ocean front room you should NOT stay here. I had the unique opportunity to see three different rooms and they were all very different. After a busy, demanded first and second quarter I decided to treat myself to a luxurious vacation in Santa Monica. Luckily, my corporate rate allowed for a large discount (yet it was still quite expensive).

ARRIVAL - Friday
I arrived and received a warm greeting. I was eager to turn things around since Southwest had lost my luggage. I was escorted to my room on the main floor (which is the 4th floor) just down the hall from the pool. It was a handicap accessible room which meant that everything was low, there was a special shower and bars were everywhere. I am a tall woman so the low counters and furniture were not appealing. Plus, I was on vacation and didn't want to be in such a room. I spoke to the woman at the front desk and she assured me that she would get me in a better room on the first floor. I told her I didn't want to be in the basement. She then get the manager. I explained that I wanted to be in a relaxing room and was in desperate need of this vacation. He said that he would have me in the room on the first floor for one night, and then move me to an ocean view room for the duration of my stay. Great customer service.

The first floor room was very average and was street level with a patio -- which I didn't like at all! The bellman delivered my bags to my room and then proceeded to ask whether I liked champagne and strawberries and he could get me some but don't tell anyone. He then hugged me and said, "I'm sorry! I shouldn't hug guests." He then shared, "I'm off to get my drink on with my girl." I unpacked and called Southwest to check on my lost luggage.

I dined at OCEAN + VINE and enjoyed sushi. VERY good!!!

Saturday - DAY 2
I awoke and decided to workout. The exercise facility is amazing. It costs $10 per day, but luckily my corporate rate includes the use of such. I got in a good sweat, pump and sat in the steam room. Southwest called and I raced to the airport for my luggage. The manager informed me that they would move me to my room around 3 or 4 PM. I headed out with friends. When I returned my belongings were in my new room. WOW! WOW WOW WOW! The room far exceeded my expectations! The room was on the 6th floor and offered a gorgeous view of the ocean, Santa Monica pier and ferris wheel. The bathroom was huge with a TV. There was a hall. It was amazing. It was a far cry from the other two rooms. Again, only stay here if you can afford an ocean view room.

I ordered room service at 12:30AM and it arrived at 12:45AM. It was a turkey sandwich and fruit. Very efficient and yummy.

SUNDAY - DAY 3
I worked out and relaxed by the pool. That afternoon a man came to my room and demanded dishes. He had a list of sorts and said, "You have extra dishes in your room and we need them!" I explained that I had left the dishes from room service outside after finishing my meal and they were gone by morning. Strange.

MONDAY - DAY 4
Relaxed. No oddities luckily!!! Enjoyed breakfast at OCEAN & VINE, the hotel restaurant, and it was very good. The Muscle Beach Omelette (no cheese!) was divine.

TUESDAY - DAY 5
Another relaxing day. On the way back to my room that evening I noticed a hotel employee pressing his finger against the peep hole of a room and listening to the door. Strange...

WEDNESDAY - DAY 6
Worked out and reflected on the oddities of the staff. Enjoyed breakfast once more in the hotel restaurant and received great service.

Overall, I had a great stay.
1 - I was upgraded to an ocean view room!
2 - I was treated like a celebrity - so much so that a few other guests asked the staff whether I was famous
3 - The food was great.
4 - The pool was relaxing.
5 - Very clean and WONDERFUL BED!!!!!!!

Great luxurious hotel with a few quirky members on its staff.

Room Tip: Only stay on the floors 5 and higher! And be prepared to pay $40/night for mandatory valet parking.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
5  Thank FitWhit816
LoewsSantaMonica, Manager at Loews Santa Monica Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Dear dWb535,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your ocean view accommodations and were able to indulge in our delicious restaurant, state of the art fitness center and relaxing pool. We strive to make sure that every guest feels like a VIP so very glad you recognized our top notch guest service during your time at Loews Santa Monica Beach Hotel. So happy we were able to ensure your comfort during your stay and look forward to having you back for another luxurious stay.

Reviewed 24 June 2014

Requested a quiet room. As soon as we entered the very average hotel room we were feeling like Spring Break was happening just outside our room. We overlooked the pool and all the frivolity, including a live musician every afternoon. Not what this couple had hoped for at all. Front desk said there were no other rooms to move to. End of story. So disappointed. Room was small and plain. Definitely not worth $600/ngt. Should have stayed at Oceana or Shutters. Would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
2  Thank Cynthia L
LoewsSantaMonica, Manager at Loews Santa Monica Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

Dear Cynthia L,

Happy Anniversary, and thank you for spending it at Loews Santa Monica Beach Hotel. We apologize that your experience was not what you were looking for but hope that we can rectify this situation. Please note, I have contacted you privately as well.

Reviewed 24 June 2014

Stayed at this property just last year and loved it. Had a completely opposite experience this time. Our room overlooked an alley filled with garbage and disgusting smells. The restaurant wait staff was one of the worst and most inefficient ones I've seen in a long time. It took them 5-10 minutes to just seat people in an empty restaurant. Exorbitant parking fee and hidden city taxes really added to the final bill. I will not be returning.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Joan G

Dear Joan G,

We are glad that you had a wonderful experience during your last stay and sorry that you did not feel the same this time. We apologize that you were not happy with your room and that the service at the restaurant was not up to our standard of excellence. We do hope that you will give us the opportunity to correct his situation. Please note, I have contacted you privately in regards to this.

Reviewed 22 June 2014

We are a family of four 2 adults a 2 children and we are from Australia. Santa Monica loews was our first stop after our 15 hour flight. We arrived at about 9am our room was ready - bonus! Santa Monica was a perfect place to begin and experience America without too much hussle and bussle! We love great accommodation and do not mind paying for it. I found from reading reviews on Santa Monica hotels it difficult to choose the right place for our family, so I had my fingers and toes crossed! Loews was the right choice for us. We had a room called a grand room ( I think ) it had 2 double beds and a furnished balcony. The balcony we could not really use as there was construction halo ending in the next room and the noise was insane. I complained about this and the manager handled it very well and offered us a credit to use in the hotel. The rooms are small but due to the good weather and how tired we were it was not a problem. The bathroom was nice - clean and tidy. The location was perfect . Close to the pier, beach and shopping. I would stay again - expensive for what you get but I think worth it for the location . Staff were adequate without being super friendly . All in all a pretty good hotel :-)))

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank 2emmm
LoewsSantaMonica, Manager at Loews Santa Monica Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

Dear 2emmm,

Thank you for coming all of the way from Australia to visit Loews Santa Monica Beach Hotel. Happy to hear the hotel provided the perfect central location for you and your family during your vacation. We apologize for the construction noise during your stay but are glad that the managers were able to assist you with this situation and that, overall, you had a pleasant visit. We are delighted that you will be back and, when you do, please feel free to contact any of our managers for personal assurance that you will have a comfortable stay.

Reviewed 21 June 2014

The great: the view right over the famous pier, the location (walking distance to all the Santa Monica beach attractions and the 3rd shopping strip).

The good: rooms are modern, spacious and nice, fine linen, pool area is nice.

The bad: breakfast buffet is nice but far too pricey for what it is ($35, not including tip).

The ugly: almost every aspect of service was seriously uncomfortable. For example, on the Saturday afternoon I wanted to lie by the pool but all the seats and loungers were taken and a large section of the pool deck was roped off (but not being used) for a wedding. I found a seat near its edge and sat down but was unceremoniously shooed off quickly. Fine. But upon asking if they could fine me a seat the answer was a curt no and walking away. I felt rather like dirt in a hotel for which I was paying a very decent price. I don't think that should happen. Around 11pm asked for coffee pods for the coffee machine so I could have coffee for an early start. These arrived an hour later -- once I was asleep. The waitress at breakfast was pushy and, over a 45 minute meal checked in us at least five times (and we'd had the buffet....). Maid service, mini bar check in and coffee supply replenishment all seem to be done by different people at different times meaning there are often people in your room when you come back to it -- which feels awkward to me, My friend needed to gather her stuff from my room to leave for a flight but we were told we'd just have to wait 15 minutes until the maid was done.

I do hate to rant about service but poor service that completely failed to take into account guest needs really soured this place for me. If this guest treatment is systemic to Loews I would not stay with them again.

I would much prefer a hotel where a guest is treated like a guest, not a bother,

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the pier. Don't accept a "quiet" room if offered unless you are particularly noise-sensitive. Quiet = no view!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank Melbourne0410
LoewsSantaMonica, Manager at Loews Santa Monica Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Dear Melbourne0410,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. While we are delighted that you enjoyed your accommodations, which included a view of the famous Santa Monica Pier, we are extremely troubled to hear that you felt that your stay was compromised a wedding that was on property. We apologize that your impression was not a better reflection of our commitment to individualized VIP guest service. Please note, we have messaged you privately in regards to this situation.