“Great hotel with Great Staff”

Loews Santa Monica Beach Hotel
Ranked #11 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 12 June 2006

This hotel has an easy going vibe but has very professional staff. We were dealt with promptly by the check in staff which was great as we arrived very tired. Due to my having ME I have a low noise tolerance so we ended up moving rooms twice but the hotel took this in their stride and even upgraded us to an ocean view. They also kindly arranged a surprise of champagne and some beautiful cakes for my partner's 40th birthday which appeared in the correct room!

The location was great - easy access to everything and for LA the Concierge was most helpful in providing maps and advising us where to park.

The restaurant was good - we used it once for both breakfast and evening meal, again the staff were accommodating about our likes and dislikes. An onsite coffee bar was useful for bagels etc.

The road mentioned is almost just a service road so getting to the beach was no problem. The valets were very prompt and also offered advice.

Yes, there are a lot of homeless people as apparently they were moved out of LA to Santa Monica so you can't blame a hotel for that.

We would definitely stay there again.

1  Thank Jonesy5

Reviewed 12 June 2006

I stayed here on business from June 7-9. My company gets a corporate rate, so I did not pay the full price. However, this hotel is not what I would expect from a 4 star hotel. I was first placed in a "city view" room that faced the street. It was very noisy and the balcony door slid open but there was no balcony...barely enough room to step on.

So I called the front desk and was promptly switched to a poolside room. Much nicer private patio with table and chairs. The pool is rather simple, but the ocean is steps away.

The room was decent sized but fairly basic. Shower was dingy and needed repair. I was appalled at the fact that the room did NOT include an in room coffee maker. You had to order a pot from room service. Ordered room service for breakfast twice. It came right on time but the toast was always cold and the sausage was chewy and gross. Also the internet hook up in the room was available for a fee....seems like nickel and dime stuff for a nice hotel that should be included.

The hotel restaraunt "Ocean and Vine" was equally overrated. I ordered a shrimp dish which consisted of 3 tiger shrimp....no rice, no salad, nothing else. This dish and 1 glass of wine with tip came to $53. What a rip off, it was good but not that great.

Overall the room and service was decent, the lobby is beautiful but it is not the glamorous hotel that it is made out to be. The location close to the beach and Santa Monica pier is nice. But I was suprised to see how very dirty Santa Monica beach is. Litter all over the sand.

If I had paid $350 or so for this hotel, I would be very upset. Since my company paid for it, I was satisfied.

• Stayed: June 2006, travelled on business
4  Thank jlefief
Reviewed 9 June 2006

I stayed here in the Spring of 2003 for one whole week. I knew I was off to a bad start when I check in, they give me my key to the room and I go up and it's someone else's room with all their stuff in there! The people would have been furious if they'd known the careless hotel gave someone else entrance to their room!

I went back downstairs and they said for the "inconvenience" they would give me a full ocean view as opposed to a partial ocean view. First of all, the hotel isn't really on the ocean. It's across the street and then some.... Not the best location and I used to live in Los Angeles for 8 years. What inspired me to write this review was 3 years later I still get junk mail from this shady outfit "Loews" (don't really like many of them that I've stayed in) and they had their rates for all their hotels and the only one as expensive as Santa Monica (which they say *starts* at 309 a night!!!) is New York City!!! Even the Beverly Hills one is only 199 a night. I mean, 309 a night is insane in my opinion! Even South Beach is only 199...

Anyway the whole week was not that pleasant. They had a loud party for some black event downstairs with rap blasting til way too late (and *I'm* a night owl) I called downstairs and they didn't seem a bit apologetic. I mean it was way after midnight and music is blaring!

The pool was ok, but not on the ocean. Service was poor. Rooms were small. TV in the bathroom was a nice touch but a crappy cheap tv at that. I didn't like anything about the place and I love a lot of hotels in Los Angeles and elsewhere. I'll never go back there and must say it was my worst experience at a hotel in the twenty somethng countries i've been to in the world!

• Stayed: May 2003
6  Thank Brainy_Babe
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 31 May 2006

Very nice hotel with a very impressive lobby. What you are looking for in a nice hotel is a welcoming, relaxing atmosphere and this hotel certainly has that. The lobby and bar area is lovely to loiter around for a drink with open fires etc as are the couches at the end of each floor overlooking the ocean.
It is also more or less right on the beach, you have to cross a tiny quiet road to get to it and then straight on the beach.
The rooms are not quite up to 5 star standard, more like a good 4 star but have enough to keep you very comfortable and while most rooms do over look the pool you can see the sea from nearly every room in the hotel.
It is is a good location and is only a 10min stroll to downtown Santa Monica.
The only negatives are the cost of valet parking which you will need and that the rooms are pricey but you come to expect that in Santa Monica.
The concierge is extremely helpful, the pool is about 20metres long so just about ok for laps and the fitness centre is one of the better hotel ones.
We didn't stay there but Shutters on the beach a few doors down looks very nice also.

• Stayed: May 2006
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 29 April 2006

Stayed at this hotel for 3 days on business.

While close to the beach, it is not really on the beach. Also, many of the rooms face the side - not the ocean. My room, on a lower floor and the side picked up a good amount of street noise. I could see a bit of the ocean.

You'll need valet parking - expensive.
You'll probably wind up eating at the hotel - expensive for the quality.
If you are on business, the internet in the room costs and the internet in the lobby costs too.

Rooms are good - but for the price I expect great.

Maybe the nicest hotel in Santa Monica - but not the best in LA.

• Stayed: April 2006, travelled on business
5  Thank dagsmith
Reviewed 18 April 2006

Stayed at this hotel for 10 days on business. I had heard it was a nice hotel. What a farce!

My husband and I arrived after an early flight from Boston. The woman at the Front Desk offered us an ocean view room since king size bed wasn't available yet. We agreed. The room faced a building under construction and you could barely see the ocean!

We ate outside by the Pool. The service was absolutely horrendous. It took us over an hour just to get our beverages - iced tea and a water. Our meal finally showed up after 90 minutes of waiting. Now, I would give the server some slack if it was incredibly busy but I've been to bars that are a lot bigger and never waited so long for a simple beverage.

Another evening we went to the Bar for a quick bite to eat and the waitress could barely acknowledge us. We had to get our own menu, keep flagging her down to take our order. At least we got our beverages in a timely manner. We also had to flag the waitress for our bill. Again, the place wasn't that busy.

The people staying in the room next to us were always yelling at their kids and one of the kids was very whiney. This was a daily occurrance at 8:00AM and around 7PM. The parents would stand in the hall and reprimand the son or each other!

I have to give credit to the Bell Stand guys - they were very knowledgeable of the area and were always there to assist with anything.

Santa Monica (beach area) has really gone downhill. It seemed there were a lot more homeless than I remember. I realize there is always homeless wherever you go, and I've been to Southern Cali a lot but it just seemed more than I remember.

• Stayed: April 2006, travelled on business
6  Thank SurferBetty
A TripAdvisor Member
Scotland
Reviewed 22 March 2006

We stayed at this hotel for 4 nights in September 2005 on our honeymoon. I had been to Santa Monica before but as a student and stayed in a hostel, this time I needed a bit of luxury and that's what this hotel is, it's beautiful inside and so friendly for such a hotel of its size. My father-in-law had left us various messages at the reception when we arrived, we had a parcel sent there and they were so prompt in telling us it had arrived. The conceirge was so helpful in giving us directions and any tourist info we needed.
The hotel is situated just back from the beach, a 2 minute walk from the famous Santa Monica pier, a 5 minute walk from Third Street Promenade where all the great shops and restaurants are. It's right off Highway One if you are driving north or south and 5 minutes in the car from Malibu, if you fancy a drive.
I also left behind a few items of clothing I had bought while over there. I contacted the hotel when I got home to Scotland and their Lost and Found department sent them to me, amazing!!
The hotel has a beautiful big pool and jacuzzi, great waitress service while you sit by the pool with drink in hand, you can sit and watch the sun go down, it's well worth the money, I loved it!

7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member