“Nice, clean hotel but paper thin walls!”

Loews Santa Monica Beach Hotel
Ranked #11 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
GreenLeadersGold level
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 29 June 2006

The hotel was extremely clean and service was good. We had a full ocean view w/ a balcony which was nice. The only problem was I could hear the girls in the next room talking & laughing clearly..... at 1:15am!! We usually stay on Sunset Strip and have NEVER had a problem w/ noise. I wouldn't expect to have a problem w/ noise at a hotel of this class.

• Stayed: June 2006
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
There are newer reviews for Loews Santa Monica Beach Hotel

Reviewed 28 June 2006

The Loews in Santa Monica was great. Upon driving up my friend remarked "it looks like a giant California Pizza Kitchen restaurant!" The yellow and blue awnings are a bit cheap looking but the inside is very luxe and modern. The lobby bar and waiting area were very lively-though that could have been due soley to World Cup watchers. Our room faced the ocean. It was spacious clean and modern. I loved the bathroom! it had a great steam shower and a whirlpool tub. There was a bit of construction going and so it was a bit noisy during the day but at night the sound of the ocean rolling in could not be beat. The Santa Monica pier area is home to many homeless folks so if you are up early to walk on the beach or go for a run you will see them. The staff at the hotel was very courteous and helpful. The price was reasonable given that you can just walk across the street to the beach. The pool area was also nice but a bit smaller than it looks in the pictures. The gym facility was very good with an excellent assorment of free weights, weight machines and cardio machines and ample room to use it all.

1  Thank biztrvlr240
Reviewed 26 June 2006

I would have rated this hotel terrible, but at check out when I went throught my list of, mold on ceiling of the shower, only one bath robe, suppose to be an ocean front room but could not see the water for the bushes, and if I jumped up and down on the bed I could see the ferris wheel on Santa Monica pier, out of pinot noir at the bar, out of sauvignon blanc at the bar, tons of kids running all over the place, they discounted us half the room rate. For over $400 per night they should be ashamed of their selves, Never again

• Stayed: June 2006, travelled on business
3  Thank Vickinbobyo
Reviewed 24 June 2006

I found the accomodations and staff at Loews Santa Monica to be top drawer people. The room view was awesome (we were upgraded to a full ocean view); the pool staff demonstrated great service; the hotel breakfast outperforms most hotel restaurants and the meal wasn't pricey - right down to the security staff who helped us with suggestions for our morning ocean run. At first we were going to stay at nearby SHUTTERS and spend both arms and legs - thank goodness they were sold out and Loews only cost one leg and half an arm. I highly recommend Loews - if you seek a location by the beach, near the action and still chill.

• Stayed: June 2006
4  Thank ChicagoSpy
Reviewed 12 June 2006

I just completed a four night stay at the Loews Santa Monica Beach Hotel. I agree that it's a 4 Star hotel, but it's time for some room upgrades. There should be a real desk chair, not an upholstered living room chair. Toilet was an inconvenience having to be flushed by pushing a large button in the center of the tank and flushing sounded like an explosion. Wall coverings were patched rather than replaced. Very loud noise when turning off the shower.

As others have mentioned, everything is overpriced.

Both times I called for service, it took much too long for the phone to be answered.

My stay ended on a very sour note. I was charged for parking for all four nights. I didn't have a car and when I said I didn't, the clerk had the nerve to question me. Since the car parkers would have to initiate the charge and I never gave anyone my room number, I really don't understand how this could happen.

Most employees who I encountered were friendly and accommodating.

Stayed: June 2005
1  Thank TravelSheryl
Reviewed 12 June 2006

This hotel has an easy going vibe but has very professional staff. We were dealt with promptly by the check in staff which was great as we arrived very tired. Due to my having ME I have a low noise tolerance so we ended up moving rooms twice but the hotel took this in their stride and even upgraded us to an ocean view. They also kindly arranged a surprise of champagne and some beautiful cakes for my partner's 40th birthday which appeared in the correct room!

The location was great - easy access to everything and for LA the Concierge was most helpful in providing maps and advising us where to park.

The restaurant was good - we used it once for both breakfast and evening meal, again the staff were accommodating about our likes and dislikes. An onsite coffee bar was useful for bagels etc.

The road mentioned is almost just a service road so getting to the beach was no problem. The valets were very prompt and also offered advice.

Yes, there are a lot of homeless people as apparently they were moved out of LA to Santa Monica so you can't blame a hotel for that.

We would definitely stay there again.

1  Thank Jonesy5
Reviewed 12 June 2006

I stayed here on business from June 7-9. My company gets a corporate rate, so I did not pay the full price. However, this hotel is not what I would expect from a 4 star hotel. I was first placed in a "city view" room that faced the street. It was very noisy and the balcony door slid open but there was no balcony...barely enough room to step on.

So I called the front desk and was promptly switched to a poolside room. Much nicer private patio with table and chairs. The pool is rather simple, but the ocean is steps away.

The room was decent sized but fairly basic. Shower was dingy and needed repair. I was appalled at the fact that the room did NOT include an in room coffee maker. You had to order a pot from room service. Ordered room service for breakfast twice. It came right on time but the toast was always cold and the sausage was chewy and gross. Also the internet hook up in the room was available for a fee....seems like nickel and dime stuff for a nice hotel that should be included.

The hotel restaraunt "Ocean and Vine" was equally overrated. I ordered a shrimp dish which consisted of 3 tiger shrimp....no rice, no salad, nothing else. This dish and 1 glass of wine with tip came to $53. What a rip off, it was good but not that great.

Overall the room and service was decent, the lobby is beautiful but it is not the glamorous hotel that it is made out to be. The location close to the beach and Santa Monica pier is nice. But I was suprised to see how very dirty Santa Monica beach is. Litter all over the sand.

If I had paid $350 or so for this hotel, I would be very upset. Since my company paid for it, I was satisfied.

• Stayed: June 2006, travelled on business