“Horrible service”

GreenLeadersGold level
santa monica california
“Horrible service”
Reviewed 4 July 2006

Brought out of country guests to visit and have dinner at Ocean and VIne Restaurant at Loews in Santa Monica. The food was expensive and the service was horrible. The waitress was casual and not at all interested in following up on our order after the appetizer was received. We waited one hour before being able to place the main course order and in the interim the wait staff was setting the room up for breakfast. The noise was unbelieveable and no conversation was possible. We had to literally go into the kitchen to find our waitress. It was embarassing for our overseas guest to witness this display of unprofessional dinig service. Avoid this dining room at all costs. I live in Santa Monica and will never recommend this restaurant to any colleagues.

4 Thank bella7777

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (575)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed 2 July 2006

What do people find attactive about Santa Monica. The beach was so full of homeless and kids that looked like gangbangers, I was afraid to take my young children down to it. The Santa Monica Pier, by the way, is a dirty dump that smells heavily of sewage. In fact, we drove past Santa Monica City Hall only to find about 2 dozen homeless people camped out in the front grass. I understand that that poor will always be with us, but I don't want them around me on my vacation at $500 night.

The hotel was pretty nice, but more like a $250/night and not nearly $500/night with tax. Way overpriced for what you get. We stayed at the Loews Coronado Bay earlier in the week and the bottled water in the room cost $7.00 a bottle in Santa Monica Loews but $4.50 a bottle in San Diego; they just jack up the price for the same product at the same hotel chain but a different location. What gives?!

They do tried hard to please at Loews and it is one of our favorite hotel chains for kids. We just found this hotel to be WAY over priced and Santa Monica a dump.

6 Thank ScipioAfricanus
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 29 June 2006

The hotel was extremely clean and service was good. We had a full ocean view w/ a balcony which was nice. The only problem was I could hear the girls in the next room talking & laughing clearly..... at 1:15am!! We usually stay on Sunset Strip and have NEVER had a problem w/ noise. I wouldn't expect to have a problem w/ noise at a hotel of this class.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 28 June 2006

The Loews in Santa Monica was great. Upon driving up my friend remarked "it looks like a giant California Pizza Kitchen restaurant!" The yellow and blue awnings are a bit cheap looking but the inside is very luxe and modern. The lobby bar and waiting area were very lively-though that could have been due soley to World Cup watchers. Our room faced the ocean. It was spacious clean and modern. I loved the bathroom! it had a great steam shower and a whirlpool tub. There was a bit of construction going and so it was a bit noisy during the day but at night the sound of the ocean rolling in could not be beat. The Santa Monica pier area is home to many homeless folks so if you are up early to walk on the beach or go for a run you will see them. The staff at the hotel was very courteous and helpful. The price was reasonable given that you can just walk across the street to the beach. The pool area was also nice but a bit smaller than it looks in the pictures. The gym facility was very good with an excellent assorment of free weights, weight machines and cardio machines and ample room to use it all.

1 Thank biztrvlr240
Garden Valley, California
Reviewed 26 June 2006

I would have rated this hotel terrible, but at check out when I went throught my list of, mold on ceiling of the shower, only one bath robe, suppose to be an ocean front room but could not see the water for the bushes, and if I jumped up and down on the bed I could see the ferris wheel on Santa Monica pier, out of pinot noir at the bar, out of sauvignon blanc at the bar, tons of kids running all over the place, they discounted us half the room rate. For over $400 per night they should be ashamed of their selves, Never again

• Stayed June 2006, travelled on business
3 Thank Vickinbobyo
Chicago, IL
Reviewed 24 June 2006

I found the accomodations and staff at Loews Santa Monica to be top drawer people. The room view was awesome (we were upgraded to a full ocean view); the pool staff demonstrated great service; the hotel breakfast outperforms most hotel restaurants and the meal wasn't pricey - right down to the security staff who helped us with suggestions for our morning ocean run. At first we were going to stay at nearby SHUTTERS and spend both arms and legs - thank goodness they were sold out and Loews only cost one leg and half an arm. I highly recommend Loews - if you seek a location by the beach, near the action and still chill.

4 Thank ChicagoSpy
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 12 June 2006

I just completed a four night stay at the Loews Santa Monica Beach Hotel. I agree that it's a 4 Star hotel, but it's time for some room upgrades. There should be a real desk chair, not an upholstered living room chair. Toilet was an inconvenience having to be flushed by pushing a large button in the center of the tank and flushing sounded like an explosion. Wall coverings were patched rather than replaced. Very loud noise when turning off the shower.

As others have mentioned, everything is overpriced.

Both times I called for service, it took much too long for the phone to be answered.

My stay ended on a very sour note. I was charged for parking for all four nights. I didn't have a car and when I said I didn't, the clerk had the nerve to question me. Since the car parkers would have to initiate the charge and I never gave anyone my room number, I really don't understand how this could happen.

Most employees who I encountered were friendly and accommodating.

Stayed June 2005