“If you can get it at a discount, go for it!”
Review of The Ambrose

The Ambrose
Ranked #8 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 28 December 2011

We were able to book a premium king room for $164 through tablet.com. The usual rate is more like $225. Our room was small but clean and nicely decorated. We had a very tiny balcony--not worth paying extra for it. The bed was comfortable. The pillows were not. The shower was adequate but nothing special. And we had to run the fan to mask noise from adjoining rooms and overhead. The breakfast is excellent if you like carbs, but at least the pastries are "real," not the usual cellophane-wrapped cardboard served at hotel breakfast bars. There was also yogurt, dry cereal, and fresh strawberries. The desk clerk (Linda, I think) was outstanding. We were accidentally put in a standard room. When we pointed out the error, she was very gracious and accommodating in making sure we got the room we had paid for.

BOTTOM LINE: If you can get the room at a discount (or if you're willing to pay extra for a better-than-average hotel breakfast), this is a good bet. If you have to pay full price, there are less expensive options in town.

Room Tip: Skip the balcony. Opt for a premium king room with "balcony view." (That's apparentl...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
7  Thank ronc41

Reviewed 22 December 2011

We were in Santa Monica for 3 days in the end of September for a friend's wedding and while the rest of the wedding party stayed at the Doubletree, we opted for the similarly priced Ambrose. I'm glad we made that decision because the Ambrose felt much more homey. Breakfast was quite good, and we were able to park our rental car in the basement garage, making everything very convenient. Staff were super friendly and helpful with making suggestions of where to go in Santa Monica for the best Mexican food. Great stay overall!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 December 2011

We arrived several hours before check-in time, and as our room was not ready we were offerred a downgrade to a room that was available. Downgrade? The room we were given was delightful! We were on the ground floor, closest to the intersection. We had a private patio, that was a lovely place to sit with a newspaper & a cup of coffee.There was very minimal noise, as this hotel is on a tree-lined residential street. Yes, it is a very long walk to the beach. But the Ambrose has a London cab that will transport you within Santa Monica. Continental breakfast is included, and it's a pleasant meal - fresh berries, quality pastry, organic yoghurt, etc. - served in the lobby area or outside on the patio. When we return to Santa Monica, we will definitely stay at the Ambrose.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank 1Traveling_Spirit
Reviewed 3 December 2011

When I read the reviews of Trip Advisor, I was excited at the same time had concerns about the noise and other issues that I read. After the talk I had with Alex Cortez of the front desk, he put my mind at ease and true to his word, our 2 day stay was wonderful. I would also like to commend Linda Crocker, also of the front desk for all the helpful infomation about Sta. Monica. Early check-in was available and the room in the third floor was overlooking the garden and was quiet for the most part. It felt like a cozy, serene, simple home away from home.
Great free breakfast of fresh strawberries, delicious muffins and Tazo teas. Location was great, walking distance to the promenade and Santa Monica Pier( from what I have heard from the people who walked, about 25 minute walk), Wallgreens, CVS and to Wilshire Blvd. which has restaurants that one can enjoy. The staff were helpful and friendly.
My husband and I would like to come back in the near future.
We would definitely recommend this hotel to our family and friends.

Room Tip: the third floor west side facing the garden is quiet..
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jecca5268
Reviewed 28 November 2011

While staying at this hotel, I was checked out of my room mid-stay by a staff member even though my reservation was for a week. Apparently I was confused with another guest. My key stopped working at this time, money was withdrawn from my checking accout twice without my approval which caused over draft fees. After visiting the front desk to work thois all out, I was then mistakenly charged another fee to re-check myself back into the hotel even though I never left.
The mangager was very rude over the phone and again charged my card without my approval minus one discounted night for all my trouble. After trying to reach the owner, get in touch with her, etc. my calls were never returned. On top of this, I was not impressed with the hotel at all. I don't reccomend staying here unless you are up for terrible customer service....

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank Jennifer M
Reviewed 24 November 2011

Loved this boutique hotel in Santa Monica. Early check in was available when I arrived from Australia, complete with complimentary room upgrade. Even though this hotel is back from the Pier and 3rd street Promenade, they were still easily accessible by either hotel push bike or the hotel's London cab. Would stay here again in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: Get a room out the front with balcony if possible.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 November 2011

I stayed at the Ambrose for 2 nights on a business trip and found it to be a comfortable experience. I booked the hotel through a third party website and did not have any problems checking in. Since my meetings were in Santa Monica, I found the location of the hotel very convenient since it is within a quick drive from LAX. The hotel is within walking distance to 3rd Street Promenade (about 20 min walk), but this being LA, you will need a car to go to nearby places, such as Venice or Abbot Kinney Boulevard. The surrounding area is typical LA - there are residential houses, a medical center/hospital, and a major street (Wilshire Boulevard) with fast food, CVS, and occasional Irish bar within walking distance. FYI, there are no In 'n Out Burger nearby that I am aware of.

There is a shuttle car provided by the hotel, but I don't remember how far they were willing to drive. You could theoretically walk over to the Pier, but it would be a hike.

If you are looking for a quiet and comfy hotel with tasty & healthy breakfast options, the Ambrose is it. If you are looking to party, there isn't much near by and the Ambrose is not a hotel buzzing with pseudo-celebs.

Room Tip: I stayed in a wheelchair accessible room.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business