“Almost perfect”

The Ambrose
Ranked #7 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 28 January 2014

The hotel is unique and beautiful, the employees were very courteous, professional, and helpful, and the continental breakfast was the best I've ever had. The only thing that kept me from giving this hotel a full five stars was the attention to detail on a few of the items in the room. There was a desk lamp with a broken shade clamp and a loose switch that crackled and sparked, and a wall outlet that did the same problem. The safe in the room upon first use had a dead battery and was unusable.
While most of these issues were addressed promptly and courteously, for the cost of the room I would have expected that the rooms would not have these types of safety issues. I would definitely stay again and look forward to seeing what the hotel looks like after the upcoming room makeovers. Traveled with family, and the room was great for having a crib and a child. The balcony overlooking Santa Monica was truly special.
Four and a 1/2 stars.

Room Tip: Balconies on the 4th floor were spectacular. Check for web specials.
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
General M, Manager at The Ambrose, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2014

Thank you so much for your positive feedback about the Ambrose Hotel-Santa Monica.

We appreciate your research in finding us. We work very hard to deliver excellent service that is both warm and relaxed every day, for every guest, every stay.

Your feedback makes it all worth it.

Reviewed 28 January 2014

The Ambrose Hotel in Santa Monica is conveniently located- close enough to navigate all of Santa Monica. Its not right on the water, but on 20th street. So if you plan on using the 10 Fwy, or if you will be seeing more than just the beach the location is great.
The plusses are that the location worked well for us, and also its a generally nice hotel. They front desk was helpful upon checking in. There was tea and pastries in the lobby which was a nice touch. There isnt valet service or bell service so be prepared to park and carry your own bags. The Mission style of the hotel is really nice, but overall the hotel needs a deep cleaning if not a complete re carpeting. The hallways have a mix of dirty carpets and wood flooring. The room we stayed in had pretty used carpet again. It really needs to be cleaned. And the overall feeling of the room was sort of a stylish but in need of updating. They should just remove the draperies those were so worn in our room. I mean its pretty, and the bathrooms have granite, and the sheets were not bad, but I think the sense of the room is that it just needs to be refreshed. It wasnt dirty other than the carpet. Everything was in good working order. The hotel could benefit from being refreshed. As for the price, the $20 parking fee I found to be steep. I dont think parking should cost additionally at all. The rooms are already priced as high as they should be without adding more for do it yourself parking. I would actually stay here again if I needed to. Its less money than the popular beach hotels. For a quick night when I have things to do in Santa Monica it worked fine. I was disappointed that my water on the nightstand had a broken seal. I took it down to the front desk in the morning and she accidentally sent a replacement to the wrong room. Then never bothered to give me a water. I didnt like that the seal was broken- it felt like a former guest might have done that. I wish it had been replaced before I got there.

Room Tip: Our room faced 20th Street. (Room 331) It was a nice view, with the big sky in front of us. It was a...
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

We attempt to exceed every guest expectation delivering 5 Star service on every stay and I am terribly sorry that this did not happen for you.

We are in the midst of a renovations plan for Spring 2014 that will address all the items you were concerned with.

i sincerely invite you back using our " repeat " guest BEST GUEST program. Reach out to me directly at gm@ambrosehotel.com for more information.

Reviewed 28 January 2014

Since I last stayed at this hotel for a month, its one step forward many steps back.

They got rid of some of the unfriendly snobby front desk staff which is a plus, but there's still so many things lacking.

- They turned the ice vending room into a business center which is cool but you have to ask the front desk to give you ice...its a huge pain, especially when there's a line and you just want to have a freaking drink...really bush-league.

- I was in a suite which had a LCD TV but last I was there its all CRT which sucks for using a laptop. It's 2014 folks!

- There was mold damage from leaking pipes in the bathroom that no effort was made to clean.

- Plants on the balconies were neglected and dying.

So long story short its not an awful experience but don't be deceived this was a boutique hotel that's aging and neglected.

Room Tip: Try to go as high as you can away from 20th
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

We’re very sorry to hear that your stay experience was not to your satisfaction. Or exceeded your expectation. Our philosophy is to bring 5 Star service that includes ice delivery for a 4 star hotel.

We attempt to exceed every guest expectation on every stay and I am terribly sorry that this did not happen for you.

We are planning a renovation for Spring 2014 that will address all the items you mentioned.

Reviewed 27 January 2014

Needs an update...noisy fan that could not be turned off in the bathroom (turned on with light switch); lack of closet space; need additional towel racks; all the faucets, tub filler we're loose but not leaking; on a positive note; terrific location close to shopping and sights in Santa Monica. Pleasant and courteous staff; a limited but adequate breakfast comes with the room; very comfortable bed; good A/C; easy in/out for cars visitors. Yes, I would stay here again but the hotel needs an update

Room Tip: Request a non-street side room
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
General M, Manager at The Ambrose, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2014

We appreciate your positive comments about your recent stay at the Ambrose Hotel - Santa Monica.

While we didn't fulfill all your expectations, we will be addressing your concerns in our renovations plan Spring 2014.

Please ask for our "repeat " guest discounts when you book us again.

Reviewed 27 January 2014

First of all, we arrived at 2pm and check in was at 3. I approached the front desk and said Im here to check in hoping we could get in just an hour early. I barely finished my sentence before the elderly lady said we were full and no check ins till 3. Since check out for the hotel is 12 I doubt there were no rooms available, she just didnt want to make an exception. So we walked down a couple blocks to get some food. Came back around 2:30 and waited around the hotel. I first noticed that inside around the sitting area was a bit dirty. It needed to be swept. I also noticed an apple core under the entertainment center and a whole one on the the other side. We walked outside to the "Zen Garden" where there were several empty glasses on all of the tables and from the looks of it they had been there awhile. There was also a full newspaper thrown on the ground, which no one bothered to pick up. The landscape upkeep was also not great. So, not a good start when Im paying $250 for the night and $20 for the parking. We get to our room and it was fairly nice, not for $250, but I only have one complaint; the TV was from the early 90's and kept cutting out. I do not go on vacations for the TV but it speaks volumes in my opinion on the quality (4 Stars!) of the hotel and how they want to be perceived. Especially when they try to say they are a "green" hotel and the TVs out now are far better on saving energy. Nothing in this place struck me as "4 Star Resort" in any way. The front desk guy, Thomas who checked us in was very nice and informative. So was the guy who drove us down to Ocean. I was a little disappointed that they no longer have the English style car to shuttle its guests. They now have a black tahoe. Overall, I was very disappointed with everything...I do not feel I got my $270's worth. I will not be going back to this place. Too many other choices in Santa Monica. I'll also say I am very easy going and am not the kind of person to let small things ruin my time, but when I stay at a 4 star hotel I expect it to stand out.

Room Tip: Want a good room for this price? Choose another hotel.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

I would gladly invite you back to the Ambrose for another opportunity to show you how much we value your visit and the 4 Star service we do fulfill on a daily basis.

I'm very sorry that we could not manage your early arrival on a sold out day. We will strive to perform better for these types of expectations.

Please feel free to contact me directly via email at gm@ambrosehotel.com or 310-315-3180.

Reviewed 27 January 2014

The services and staff were beyond outstanding. I truly cannot say enough nice things about the Ambrose. Breakfast was beautiful, the hotel was serene and peaceful. Hotel is close to the beach (30 min walk or 5 min drive), close to wonderful shopping and restaurants, and even a Whole Foods and Walgreens a few blocks away for any necessities. Safe area. Love The Ambrose! Well done!

• Stayed: January 2014

Thank you for your positive comments on the Ambrose Hotel.

Our first time guest's frequently find our hotel and instantly catch our Santa Monica "vibe". They get to know our entire hotel, staff and accommodations like their own.

We strive to provide accommodations that exceed our guest expectations on every visit, every day for every guest.

Your positive feedback makes it all worth our efforts.

Reviewed 27 January 2014

We came to Santa Monica to have Christmas dinner with close friends from Wisconsin, whose son and daughter-in-law live there. They recommended the Ambrose to us, in part due to its proximity to their kids' apartment. We took their advice and thoroughly enjoyed our short time there (one night). The mostly Asian art and the calm, quiet environment were very nice. The holiday decorations were lovely and appropriate, not overdone. The breakfast was the best of any hotel complimentary breakfast we have had in recent years. The cost was more than we generally pay, but it was a holiday; we were there to visit good friends and we really enjoyed the stay.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for your positive comments on the Ambrose Hotel.

Your positive feedback makes it all worth our efforts.