“Great hotel in a great location”
Review of The Ambrose

The Ambrose
Ranked #8 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 2 April 2014

Really enjoyed my stay at this hotel and would definitely return. Architecture and furnishings were very attractive and timeless. Service was very good. Hotel was clean. Breakfast buffet was not huge but we were very pleased by the quality of the baked goods. Great location closed to stores and the pier in Santa Monica (20 blocks). Very relaxing. Nice place to return to at the end of the day. The only minor demerit would be for an old TV. It worked fine but we have gotten so used to the crisp picture of the flat screen that it didn't seem up to the standard of the rest of the place. Also, no movie channel but there is a DVD player. I'd rather go to Redbox anyway.

1  Thank ankehort
General M, Manager at The Ambrose, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2014

Thank you for your positive comments on your recent stay at the Ambrose Hotel-Santa Monica.

Our first time guest's frequently find our hotel and instantly get to know our Southern California
" vibe" throughout the entire hotel, staff and accommodations...

We strive to provide accommodations that exceed our guest expectations on every visit, every day for every guest.

Your positive feedback makes it all worth our efforts

Reviewed 29 March 2014

From the moment my party of 4 walked into this hotel and were greeted by Linda, we were in love with this hotel. Linda was very busy up front, but she took the time to make us feel special and to give us a detailed map of all the things we wanted to see and or felt we would want to see. She is the hotel's best asset by far. Granted everyone else was very kind and helpful, but not like Linda. I truly believe she loves her job as it shows so much.

The breakfasts were terrific. We had planned on going out to eat, but never did. They had fresh baked goodies of all sorts, fresh fruit, yogurts, juices, breads and it was all very good.

We had room service a couple of times while there and was never disappointed in the food nor the service. They even deliver your ice to you. The service is fast and accurate and always served with a smile.

I will gladly return to this hotel when in the area and highly recommend it. You will feel special and I feel that is important.

1  Thank Banne57
General M, Manager at The Ambrose, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2014

We couldn't have said it better...

Thank you for your positive review and comments about your recent stay at the Ambrose Hotel - Santa Monica.

Our staff strives to provide service & accommodations that exceed our guest expectations on every visit, every day for every guest.

We are so pleased that Linda was able to exceed your expectations and deliver 5 Star Service !

Your comments will be shared with our entire Team.

Reviewed 27 March 2014

Am a business traveler, spending 3 nights weekly in all the major hotels. This hotel was thought to be an upscale, boutique type of hotel. hmmmmm... well, sort of.

Linens and toilettries are top notch. Secure parking is available... for a price.

That's about all that I have to say about it being good.

B'fast... same hard, crunchy pastries every day on the cold-buffet type of b'fast line. There was absolutely no variation across the 3 days I spent there in March.

The same pastries are what's set out for a snack later in the afternoon... even up thru the evening hours. Leftovers, I assume.

Keycard was validated only for 2 days, instead of 3... causing me to have to make 4 trips to my room before the desk clerk figured out how to properly re-activate it.

I was "upgraded" to a 4th floor room. "Very nice, you'll love it." Ha! Am not joking... EVERY night for 3 nights in a row there was vehicle traffic in the alley below... either delivery trucks, or garbage trucks, or something with backup alarms, hydraulics, etc. that awoke me anywhere from 2am-5:30am, every night.

On checkout, I stood at desk and waiting on desk person making another guest's car rental res. The desk person actually read ALOUD, over the phone, the name, the card #, the exp. date, and the security code, to the res. agent... while I was standing there. Wish I had a pencil with me! The data security at this hotel is now questionable.

Nice ambience, nice bed linens and toiletries... but service is sorely lacking and the b'fast is NOT something to be relied upon for a way to start your day.

Room Tip: Not overlooking the busy streets, or the alley.. but that doesn't leave much at this hotel.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Jay G

We’re very sorry to hear that your stay experience was not to your overall satisfaction.

We attempt to exceed every guest expectation on every stay and I am terribly sorry that this did not happen for you.

Please reach out to me directly at gm@ambrosehotel.com for further follow up on your stay.

We certainly welcome both positive and critical comments in order for us to achieve the highest levels of guest stay experiences.

Your feedback makes it all worth it.

Reviewed 20 March 2014

We stayed at the Ambrose for 3 nights in January 2014 - our second stay having spent some time here on honeymoon in 2010.

The hotel was just as we remembered - quite and calm in a nice residential area. Feels miles away from LA and the beach, in a good way (in reality a 5-10 minute drive down to the heart of Santa Monica). Staff are always helpful and friendly, and breakfast is a treat.

A couple of niggles however - the hotel is starting to look a little tired around the edges (we were informed that a refurb is imminent), and the $20 per night parking charge seemed a little on the steep side for a hotel guest.

We hope to visit again when the works are completed to experience the new look Ambrose!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank stevenjcarson
General M, Manager at The Ambrose, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2014

We couldn't have said it better...

Thank you for your positive review and comments about the Ambrose hotel.

Our repeat guest's frequently tell us that our hotel and accommodations like their own home.

Ask for the "repeat" guest discounts on your return.

Reviewed 18 March 2014

We enjoyed our stay at The Ambrose immensely: beautifully serene surroundings, a feeling of relaxed elegance, all in all an oasis in hectic So Cal. And what made the sojourn especially positive was the staff, particularly Linda at the front desk whose gracious style, helpful local knowledge and care and concern were a real plus.

Room Tip: Upstairs roms are best
1  Thank David L

We couldn't have said it better...

Thank you for your positive review and comments about the Ambrose hotel.

Our staff, including Linda, strives to provide service & accommodations that exceed our guest expectations on every visit, every day for every guest.

Reviewed 17 March 2014

My wife and I love this hotel. We started staying here shortly after it opened and have never waivered. We lived in Santa Monica until 2000. I come back often for business and medical reasons. We are often here for a week or more and find the central location is perfect. We do not rent a car anymore and are able to walk to most places, otherwise the hotel's car and driver, taxi or limo work well.

Ownership of the hotel changed a couple of years back and we were apprehensive. There have been some minor changes, mostly positive, new people, uniformly positive, and a new energy. I cannot name everyone that make this a great hotel but Alfred, Jose, Linda, Maria, George and Hillary from before the ownership change are among the ones working very hard to maintain its quality. Also, Sheena, Thomas, Nida (?) and others are quality additions. I cannot say enough about the staff. Breakfast is great with healthy options and a mouth-watering variety of pastries. I don't use the gym although I see many who do. The same is true of the meeting room and business center. The rating for the areas below are inadequate. The "Swimming Pool" is not terrible. It is just not. The same is true for "Restaurant," breakfast is very good and we do not use the room service options but there is no restaurant as such..

Room Tip: Room 304 has a great terrace and is nice for small gatherings. Rooms 430 (very large) and 431 (sligh...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank emccartt

We couldn't have said it better...

Our repeat guest's tell us they frequently find our hotel and accommodations like their own home.

Your comments make it worth all the effort.

Reviewed 17 March 2014

We discovered The Ambrose about 8 years ago and have returned about 5 times with our family. We loved the fact that we found a 'home away from home' hotel nestled in a residential area. We had a lovely room in the past and cited our preference and it was always respected. This time however, we got a smaller room- disappointing

The hotel is showing its age and I understand it will thankfully be undergoing a renovation in the near future. The parking charge of $20 is a new and not welcome change. Although I understand the difficulty with non-hotel occupants using the system as it was, I don't know why the hotel card does not suffice to dissuade misuse with the new card activated gate and we need to pay.

The breakfasts were fantastic with fresh berries overflowing every morning. We were there six days and watched as the fruit bowl changed from all berries to apples and bananas. Given the fact you can buy strawberries at the side of the PCH, I wasn't sure why the supply was not replenished.

The cleaning staff left our ironing board out for four days. I used it on Monday morning and found it was still there every day until we departed. I left it there to see if anyone would bother to put it away. I don't think this is petty, I think it speaks to the apathy of the cleaning staff. They would actually have to work around it to clean the room!! As we were four people sharing what was already a small room, space was at a premium. In the past, we have had impeccable housekeeping service.

I loved the Aveda products that the hotel used to use. Now the toiletry items are a mismatch of different companies.

The TV's are a real issue. Given the development of technology, I can only hope that the renovations will include better TV's and an ability to turn the TV to facilitate viewing from other angles instead of straight ahead.

All in all, although we LOVED the old Ambrose, we have mixed feelings about the new Ambrose. After so many years, we are actually looking into our other options in Santa Monica. It's too bad. Maybe the renovations will change things so I can give it the full five stars it used to be?

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

We’re very sorry to hear that your stay experience was not to your satisfaction.

Our renovation plans will address the areas that you had mentioned with new and exciting changes for the hotel.

For your return trip, please ask for the " repeat " guest discount.