“Great hotel, average location & hotel staff”
Review of The Ambrose

The Ambrose
Ranked #9 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 10 October 2005

Stayed here a long weekend in early October 2005 in room 304. It was a very large room with an outside patio and fireplace. Very high quality furnishings, linens, very clean room. The common areas are very nice, well furnished, computer/internet access in the den. The breakfast in the morning was very nice, good coffee and pastries. I have nothing bad to say about the facility itself.

The location is average with some sirens from the nearby hospital. I took a daytime (very long) walk to the beach which was kinda scary...I would never do it after dark! The London-style cab was useful to go to Ocean Drive to eat and a $10 taxi ride back to the hotel.

The hotel staff was certainly not in keeping with the otherwise high quality of this hotel. With exceptions, they had poor attitudes and seemed uninterested in the guests.

I would certainly stay here again, as it is a great value. Ask for room 304!

• Stayed: October 2005
1  Thank ruben900

Reviewed 10 October 2005

My Girlfriend and I stayed at the Ambrose for 1 night on our road trip around the USA in Sept 2005. We are in our twenties, so young you may say but our expectations are high. The Ambrose is a lovely hotel with a stylish Japanese/modern feel. Very relaxing and although the rooms aren’t large, they are quite luxurious with a nice bathroom and lovely Aveda bath products. Lots of free stuff ranging from internet access to free cab rides into Santa Monica in a London Black Cab, yes a London Black Cab in Santa Monica. The bed is extremely comfortable, and the whole place is very clean. There is no pool area or spa which is the only down fall. A very good place to stay maybe for a few nights if travelling. They also have secure under ground parking. Excellent Hotel. Excellent service. Very helpful. Overall Excellent.

2  Thank Studio151_Sam
Reviewed 9 October 2005

In town on business, I fell for this place.

Everything at this hotel makes you feel as if you're in a place of serenity and beauty. The hotel itself has a slight far east tinge to it, with tactful and attractive public spaces. Rooms were similarly lovely, with a big, comfortable bed, and very handsome and sleek fixtures.

There's also a nice sitting area in front of the hotel in the form of a Japanese garden with a small waterfall -- a really nice place to enjoy the complementary breakfast.

The only drawback relative to most other Santa Monica hotels is the location, which is pretty far from action on the waterfront. Still, the hotel was nice enough to make me feel just fine about where I was, and I'd certainly consider staying here again when I'm next in the area.

• Stayed: October 2005, travelled on business
4  Thank wise2374
Reviewed 28 September 2005

Besides the fact that to an italian judging the comfort of an hotel should not involve any placement of tv et simila in the bathroom (we do other things while in the toilet to waste our time with poor quality reality shows on tv....) of an hotel (and, talking about the bathroom, I found there the nicest selection of bath accessories in So.Cal., see Aveda soaps, very good ones), my judgment about our stay (we were on honeymoon) at the Ambrose is absolutely positive.

It's seriously stylish (those guys know how to furnish a room or set up a zen garden out there...) and we found the staff really cool and helpful. The Taxi service is something you have to ask for, I wouldn't expect anyone to offer it without asking, and Jess (the cab driver) was really a nice guy (with a great singing voice he would let us enjoy while at work...).
Breakfast was great, and ready at 6.30 am, to our great surprise (since we had to leave early for flying back), although I can see maybe the room is a bit too small when related to the number of rooms in Ambrose.

Would definetly come back.

4  Thank piuli
Reviewed 26 September 2005

Santa Monica is a great area to stay in Los Angeles. Good selection of shops, restaurants, beach and activities.
The Ambrose is a quality hotel with good standard furnishings and a pleasing atmosphere. The staff were helpful and courteous and the taxi service (which the reviewer below obviously didn't enquire about) is an excellent idea as the hotel is in a decent area but not quite close enough to stroll to town.
There are drawbacks though. Our room was relatively small and slightly noisy, there were some ants in the bathroom and the bedroom and the breakfast was served in a lounge area not designed for many people or the most comfortable place to eat in.
If you want a nicely furnished quality hotel in a decent area I would recommend the hotel but I personally would try another one in the same area next time I visit to compare to the Ambrose.

1  Thank JB30
Reviewed 24 September 2005

I stayed Sept. 17-20, 2005

Pros: Good location in Santa Monica off Wilshire, there were a few sirens from the nearby hospitals but overall the neighborhood was on the quiet side. Nice underground parking garage. The decorator of the public areas did a good job. High speed internet hookup in the room was handy. Continental breakfast was above average, though the lobby alcove had insufficient space for all the guests to have breakfast. On all three mornings I went down and people were just crawling over each other. Nowhere near the Zen experience their marketing would have you believe.

Cons: Despite reserving a “premiere” room, there was no telephone, TV, or audio in my bathroom like were advertised. No hardwood floors like were advertised - I had stained wall to wall carpet. No use of the London cab was ever offered to me like was advertised, nor did I see it once during my 3-night stay. Though the bed linens were high quality / high thread count, they were so worn they were full of little holes (from laundering). The pillows were awful. Though they were filled with down, they must have been cheap because they would completely deflate into nothing. The furniture and woodwork had also seen better days. There were dings and scratches throughout, and since the light wood was all stained the color of walnut/ebony wood, the damage really stood out. The curtains, which were a very nice fabric, had become ratty where people had evidently snagged the loose weave while trying to open and close. So it just looked cheap, think Motel 6 goes to Pier 1. My “closet” was a 1-foot wide locker attached to the entertainment unit. The bathroom had one single inadequate overhead light which also, charmingly, turned on the bathroom fan at the same time, so trying to use the close-up mirror or once in the shower the light was pretty dim.

This is literally the noisiest hotel I have ever stayed in. I am shocked that none of the other reviews mentioned it. This hotel was so cheaply constructed that not only could I hear every door within 50 feet slam, but could actually feel the walls shake a little. There was that air pressure change thing whenever a door slammed, it just rattled throughout. The room doors were like vault doors and the walls were paper thin. The ventilation was also screwed up, so that when other guests were showering I could not only hear the plumbing, but could also smell their shampoo / soap smells in my closed room. This was room 231, looked like it was designed to be part of a suite, so maybe it’s the only one with these problems - don’t stay in this room if you insist on going to the Ambrose. The 100% teenaged front desk staff was indifferent and unapologetic.

First night: A celebrating group of women had rented the room next to mine for among other things, a visit from a male stripper. They had been loud since they checked in, getting ready to “go out” and running back and forth between rooms. I left for several hours and came back after 10 to find their disco music at full blast and middle aged women screaming at the tops of their lungs. Here’s how thin the walls were – “Okay ladies, make sure you put your dollar bills in interesting places!” After my complaint, a reluctant teenaged front desk clerk finally responded by knocking on their door and telling them to knock it off. It didn’t really matter as it turned out since I could still hear everything going on around me. No apology from the Ambrose staff. The next morning I reiterated what had happened to the next teenage front desk person, who also made no apology and said nothing could be done to change my room. Another teenaged employee actually interrupted this conversation to talk to the front desk girl about the furniture she was rearranging in the lobby.

Second night: Despite the generous tip I left for housekeeping each morning, stepping into the shower, I realized I had no washcloths or hand towels and called down. The guy paused then said “yeah I can get you some”. Fifteen minutes later he had not arrived. I called back and a young woman answered the phone and clearly had no idea what I was talking about. She said with an attitude “well how many do you need!?” I said “well just as many are supposed to be here!” Again, no apology from the Ambrose staff. She was at my door in a few minutes and as I said “thank you” and took the towels, she turned and walked away without a word.

Will not return.

11  Thank Traveler004
Reviewed 20 September 2005

One of the guide books describes this hotel as a getway for company CEO's - well all I can say is that if this is the level of service CEOs accept on a regular basis then I am so pleased Im not one!! Hotel itself was fine, common areas nicely decorated. Room two queen beds but not huge but very comfortable. However the service is very poor - my bed was not properly made (ie. we had to remove the throw cushions etc each night to sleep but these were then left off for the entire time we stayed there on the floor in the corner of the room after the bed was made), I used the hairdryer and this was left plugged in and on top of the counter for the entire time, I had to drop my own dry cleaning off at the desk and collect it again that evening. The car which gives free transport in the local area was not available one evening. Bottle of half opened wine in the fridge when I opened it so had to make sure I wasnt charged for this. I know these seem like silly things but when a hotel sells itself in a certain way then you have certain expectations. The hotel wasnt near any restaurants or bars etc so you needed to make your own way to those. Breakfast was very good but quite poor seating area and availability. Oh and no bar on the premises. I have been on a couple of week holiday in the States and this was the poorest hotel I stayed in - inns and motels beating it hands down! If this had been cheap I would have said it was a bargain but it wasnt. Left no impression on me whatsoever and I would not recommend. No atmosphere. Oh and finally when I did have to use the toilet in the lobby area there was no toilet paper.

Stayed: September 2005