“Relax at the Ambrose”

The Ambrose
Ranked #1 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 17 October 2005

After searching high and low for a hotel in Santa Monica we decided to book the Ambrose on the basis of Trip Advisor reviews for a 5 night stay which was the culmination of a trip around California.

The hotel is located in a quiet residential part of Santa Monica, not far from the Hospital although to be honest if you didn’t know that it was there I doubt you’d guess.

I booked a suite requesting a balcony, high floor and garden views. What we initially were given was to be frank terrible a small 1st floor, dark, oppressive room at the rear of the hotel with a balcony that was probably 2 feet deep at best. We didn’t bother putting our bags in it and returned to reception to register our complaint. To cut a long story short after approximately 30 minutes of discussion we were given a room that we were more than happy with, a premier room with a balcony overlooking the gardens. The rest of our stay at the Ambrose was superb.

The breakfasts were plentiful. Rooms cleaned regularly. Staff friendly, courteous and extremely helpful. Although the ‘London Cab’ style taxi was off the road a replacement vehicle was being used and whenever we asked at reception for the courtesy car it was made available literally within seconds and 5 minutes saw us in the heart of Santa Monica.

Parking wasn’t a problem, underground parking facilities were available and during our stay there were always plenty of spaces.

I confess to using the Gym – It had a TV, was clean, air conditioned and all the equipment was in working order.

As a base to explore the surrounding area the hotel was in a fantastic position, with Hollywood/Beverley Hills/Malibu/Venice (amongst many more) all within easy driving distance.

My ONLY real complaint with the Ambrose is the facilities at breakfast. In its’ effort to be a chic ‘n stylish hotel instead of the usual table and chairs for breakfast, you have to make do with leather sofa’s, easy chairs and a Feng Shui sandpit (no kidding!). Take my word for it, juggling a hot cup of coffee, a bowl of Cheerios and a piece of pastry isn’t the easiest thing in the world when you’re sat in a rocking chair!

Having seen some of the hotels in Santa Monica (and specifically overlooking the beach which I suppose is everyone’s ideal location) I say without doubt that I’d prefer to stay at the Ambrose, it’s location was ideal and it’s cleanliness and calming atmosphere was superb.

10  Thank steveqpr
Write a ReviewReviews (1,279)

Reviewed 15 October 2005

Excellent hotel for the price in santa monica. Just read all the review listed here. They have probably one of the best continental breakfast's that I've seen. The hotel is not in the heart of the downtown third st promenade, and if you want to visit you should probably hop in a car. Or take the Ambrose taxi/ shuttle car... it's the 1 in front of the hotel and it's free... just make sure you tip the driver each way.

The rooms we're great and the whole hotel has a very clean, simplistic asian inspired theme. Beds are extremely comfortable. Don't bother going to the overpriced hotels that are right on the beach when this place has it all (minus the oceanview and 5 min car ride to the beach/action).

The workout room is fine... your average hotel workout room. Staff is very friendly and professional.

hope the review helps.

6  Thank travel4life_12
Reviewed 11 October 2005

This hotel is nicely presented and is located in a safe area. The room we had (with two queen beds) was on the small side but the beds were very comfortable and it was tastefully decorated. I missed having a coffee maker in the room, but the coffee at breakfast was excellent as were the many different sorts of pastries and muffins on offer. Our room was on the hospital side but we only noticed the noise of ambulances one night out of the three we were there. Staff on the front desk were very helpful. Car parking is free and easy to access. There is no pool but there is a pleasant small garden with a water feature at the entrance to the hotel. The gym is a good size.

2  Thank OzTraveller1961
Reviewed 10 October 2005

Stayed here a long weekend in early October 2005 in room 304. It was a very large room with an outside patio and fireplace. Very high quality furnishings, linens, very clean room. The common areas are very nice, well furnished, computer/internet access in the den. The breakfast in the morning was very nice, good coffee and pastries. I have nothing bad to say about the facility itself.

The location is average with some sirens from the nearby hospital. I took a daytime (very long) walk to the beach which was kinda scary...I would never do it after dark! The London-style cab was useful to go to Ocean Drive to eat and a $10 taxi ride back to the hotel.

The hotel staff was certainly not in keeping with the otherwise high quality of this hotel. With exceptions, they had poor attitudes and seemed uninterested in the guests.

I would certainly stay here again, as it is a great value. Ask for room 304!

• Stayed: October 2005
1  Thank ruben900
Reviewed 10 October 2005

My Girlfriend and I stayed at the Ambrose for 1 night on our road trip around the USA in Sept 2005. We are in our twenties, so young you may say but our expectations are high. The Ambrose is a lovely hotel with a stylish Japanese/modern feel. Very relaxing and although the rooms aren’t large, they are quite luxurious with a nice bathroom and lovely Aveda bath products. Lots of free stuff ranging from internet access to free cab rides into Santa Monica in a London Black Cab, yes a London Black Cab in Santa Monica. The bed is extremely comfortable, and the whole place is very clean. There is no pool area or spa which is the only down fall. A very good place to stay maybe for a few nights if travelling. They also have secure under ground parking. Excellent Hotel. Excellent service. Very helpful. Overall Excellent.

2  Thank Studio151_Sam
Reviewed 9 October 2005

In town on business, I fell for this place.

Everything at this hotel makes you feel as if you're in a place of serenity and beauty. The hotel itself has a slight far east tinge to it, with tactful and attractive public spaces. Rooms were similarly lovely, with a big, comfortable bed, and very handsome and sleek fixtures.

There's also a nice sitting area in front of the hotel in the form of a Japanese garden with a small waterfall -- a really nice place to enjoy the complementary breakfast.

The only drawback relative to most other Santa Monica hotels is the location, which is pretty far from action on the waterfront. Still, the hotel was nice enough to make me feel just fine about where I was, and I'd certainly consider staying here again when I'm next in the area.

• Stayed: October 2005, travelled on business
4  Thank wise2374
Reviewed 28 September 2005

Besides the fact that to an italian judging the comfort of an hotel should not involve any placement of tv et simila in the bathroom (we do other things while in the toilet to waste our time with poor quality reality shows on tv....) of an hotel (and, talking about the bathroom, I found there the nicest selection of bath accessories in So.Cal., see Aveda soaps, very good ones), my judgment about our stay (we were on honeymoon) at the Ambrose is absolutely positive.

It's seriously stylish (those guys know how to furnish a room or set up a zen garden out there...) and we found the staff really cool and helpful. The Taxi service is something you have to ask for, I wouldn't expect anyone to offer it without asking, and Jess (the cab driver) was really a nice guy (with a great singing voice he would let us enjoy while at work...).
Breakfast was great, and ready at 6.30 am, to our great surprise (since we had to leave early for flying back), although I can see maybe the room is a bit too small when related to the number of rooms in Ambrose.

Would definetly come back.

4  Thank piuli