“Wonderful Experience overall” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
San Francisco, California
“Wonderful Experience overall”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2012

We were greeted warmly at the door after a long flight. The welcoming attitude continued at the front desk as we checked in for our stay. We were handed a glass of champagne--very much appreciated after flying. The gentleman that helped us check-in was friendly, genuine and professional. Our experience was the same anytime we stopped by the desk to ask questions or request service. Our experience at the Viceroy was so good we decided to extend our stay.

We did have a few issues in the restaurant--the service was either fantastic--like the front desk and valet or it was blatantly rude. Our first evening we ate in the bar and the bartenders were extremely surly and it was still early! We also had a run-in with an extremely rude hostess--but this was the exception.

Housekeeping is exceptional. I know that seems odd to point out but we have had some bad experiences with dirty rooms and broken showers etc. Our room was well cared for and that was much appreciated.

The hotel is part of the LA party scene right now so the lobby and bar get crowded on Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights. This wasn't a problem for us--our room was on the 7th floor and quiet. we would definitely stay at he Viceroy again.

Room Tip: Lower floor rooms on the East side facing the pool area will be noisy on the weekends as the bar and...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (373)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2012

We stayed for the second time on our stop over in LA. And I am glad we returned. Initiallly we chose the hotel for its proximinity to the beach and price class. Although we rented a car we ended up walking everywhere. Shopping, Dinner is all within walking distance.
Service is great, staff exremly friendly. Love the rooms, although compact, clean and light.
Staff was also great with the kids. no pretentiousness and friendly.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2012

I have recently returned from staying in Santa Monica at the Viceroy Hotel over the Holiday period and spent 6 nights there.
As on my previous 4 visits, the hotel really lived up to my expectations and standards.
From checking in procedures, through room standards, decor, restaurant and bar service and ambiance, I cannot contemplate staying somewhere else whenever I visit Santa Monica either for business or for pleasure.
The staff are personable, helpful and attentive to the maximum level of need and nothing is ever too much trouble for any of them.
I wish we had this level of staff training in the UK. The staff have the knack of always being there for you without the stuffiness of more exclusive- or more expensive- hotels, are really friendly and approachable without being too familiar. As far as the staffing goes,it's perfect.
Good menus for all tastes in the Whist Restaurant and talented chefs.
The bar is buzzy, chic and fun but not overly noisy and is a great meeting place.
The hotel suits singles, couples and families alike. As a lone woman, I feel very comfortable and safe here.
I also love the decor. I first visited this hotel before it became a management chain. It seems to be growing and I would love to visit other hotels in the group--but that would mean that I would be missing out on time I could be spending at this one.
I am already planning my next visit. I really can't wait! I am a photographer who is constantly travelling and staying in lovely hotels but a stay in the Viceroy feels like coming home.

Ms S. Fontaine, London

Room Tip: Sea front for the sunrise and sunsets. Not noisy. Worth the extra cost.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank SFontaine
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2012

I'm the type of person who generally doesn't like anything too over-the-top or pretentious. I was worried about this hotel because, at first glance, it sure seemed Hollywood-affected. Well, perhaps that could include the bar, but that would be it. Always remember that looks can be deceiving. The staff was incredible and down-to-earth, and I felt comfortable the moment I walked in (the complimentary champagne didn't hurt, by the way). The room, although small, was very comfortable and chic. I loved the eclectic decor. Holy smokes, the bed was beyond phenomenal and the shower more than spa-worthy. Great bath products, towels and linens. My view wasn't much to write home about, but in the end I was there for my job so who has time for lovely views anyway? I did eat in the restaurant and I found the food to be good, if not a bit pricey (what? in LA?). True to form the staff shined and didn't hassle us to move along despite a busy morning. I'm usually not a fan of the pricey hotels who are all for show, but it turns out that this joint has substance in more ways than one. If you want a comfortable treat that balances the luxe with common courtesy to all (Rolex or not), give this joint a try.

Room Tip: Higher floor as far away from the elevator as possible.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
San Francisco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2012

We recently stayed at the Viceroy for two nights right over Christmas weekend and had a wonderful time. Similar to other reviewers' experiences, we thought the service was fantastic. Sean at the front desk, in particular, was really great to us - we were celebrating our 4 year anniversary and they greated us with a glass of champagne and sent up a bottle to our room as a congratulations. We stayed at a time when the hotel was not too crowded, so it was very quiet and serene and we had a great room on the 6th floor with a full ocean view. It was great to wake up to perfect weather and to view the beautiful ocean. Our only recommendation would be for them to get slightly firmer pillows - theirs are super soft and you kind of sink in them even when you use two. Highly recommend - can't beat the location - you are one block from the beach, half a mile walk to third street promenade and very close to other great restaurants and shops on main street towards marina del rey.

Room Tip: highly recommend the ocean view
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Newport Beach, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2011

We stayed at Viceroy 2 nights a weekend in November and picked this hotel because we like Hotels with great design. And this was really something special, a mix between modern style and old times. The service from the front desk , to restaurang/bar, roomservice and houskeeping was excellent. We enjoyed it as a family (2 adults, 2 kids, 11-13) and as well business, since this was a combined business and pleasure trip. This isn´t a quiet hotel during the evening. The bar and lobby was packed with people during nighttime and we enjoy when a place is full of activity. Breakfast was nice, though expensive, but coming from Europe we are use to breakfast beeing including in the roomrate, so what can we do to just accept.
Strongly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: High up , seaview
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
San Diego, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2011

Even before I arrived, I was impressed by the staff. The concierge contacted me by email with suggestions for local jaunts, the hotel sent reminder emails about my stay and the amenities provided. From the moment I pulled in (at 10:00 at night) until I left two days later, I was treated like a star. From the valet, to the manager, to the restaurant staff to room service, all were so attentive, kind, and courteous I would stay there again and again for that reason alone but the simple fact is that this hotel has beautiful rooms, a wonderful restaurant, and a great location close to the promenade and major santa monica locations which makes for a wonderful stay

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo