“Great service at this lovely boutique hotel”

Viceroy Santa Monica
Ranked #7 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 19 February 2014

The hotel is a lovely boutique property with a very nice decor and funky vibe. I loved the pool area. When I arrived late Friday night there was a DJ playing loud music in the lobby bar. When I went to my 2nd floor room I heard nothing so the sound there is very good. The service was extremely attentive, helpful and friendly. I enjoyed the stay. The location is a little farther from the central shopping area and restaurants but all within an easy walk. It is on a busy street and you must cross the street and walk a block and a half to get to the beach. I paid a higher rate and booked a partial ocean view room. Save your money and don't bother because the way it was described on the website was not accurate. I had a second floor room and did not have an ocean view. I did nicely mention my disappointment in how it was described and the rate difference to the front desk and they were very apologetic and did make an adjustment to my rate. That told me a lot about the quality of their management. I had a plumbing problem in my sink for all three days but they did respond to it promptly once I called. Jack at the front desk was welcoming and sweet as was all the staff that went out of their way with great service. For the price, it would have been nice to be on the beach like some of the other properties but I liked the feel of the hotel versus the bigger chain properties.

Room Tip: Do not bother spending more on a partial or ocean view room. It is too far. Higher floor may be be...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Matt S, Front Office Manager at Viceroy Santa Monica, responded to this reviewResponded 9 March 2014

Dear ellent1,

Thank you so much for your review. We are glad to hear you found our property to have great service. Your comments about Jack are well received and we can't want to have you back in the future!

Reviewed 19 February 2014

Free champagne upon arrival, super cute reception/bar area when you walk in. Pool area was also chic- it was randomly cold the weekend we were there, but I would have loved to sit outside in one of the cabanas. They also offered free yoga by the pool at 10am on Sunday morning (we were out too late to enjoy, but I totally would have if I wasn't dead to the world).

Loved speaker system in room and decor. Small bathroom, but good use of space with vanity area for getting ready. Horrible water pressure, but other than that everything was great.

Tip- I wouldn't spend extra for a room with a view, you could see the ocean from our room, but you could also see the street below since the hotel is not ocean front.

Would definitely go back when staying in Santa Monica- highly recommend!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Matt S, Front Office Manager at Viceroy Santa Monica, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2014

Dear Alexis M,

Thank you for your review. We are happy to hear that you found our property to have great decor and be in a great location. We hope to see you in the near future!

Reviewed 16 February 2014

We've globe-trotted annually for 20 years, stayed at at least 150 hotels and Viceroy will be our most memorable. Yes, the décor is cool but the service is unbelievable - the staff actually cares. Each member will bend over backwards for you and offer you the shirt off his (her) back. My wife was stricken with a kidney infection in Santa Monica and the amount of kindness and care she received was truly humbling. We stayed at Lowes for two nights prior and let me tell you, they really need to take a leaf out of Viceroy's Service and Operations Manual. We'll offer Viceroy praise all day long every day.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Matt S, Front Office Manager at Viceroy Santa Monica, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2014

Dear Mike M,

Thank for your review and kind words! We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and in particular our service.

We hope to see you for many years to come!

Reviewed 13 February 2014

The decor is amazing but the service is the best! The rooms are very cool, comfortable beds, but the shower pressure is horrible. Apparently all Santa Monica hotels have low flow shower heads to conserve water. Oh well. We came from NYC to enjoy the view and splurged for a deluxe room on a high floor. It was "okay" - since the hotel is on the busy Ocean Ave, it was hard to enjoy the view with all the noise. There was also a lot of street construction that looks like it's going to go on for a long time. The sound of Jackhammers was a sound we were trying to avoid. We checked out 2 days early and headed up to Malibu. I would highly recommend this hotel if you're looking for a cool and chic hotel with a great vibe.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DSMTravel91
Matt S, Front Office Manager at Viceroy Santa Monica, responded to this reviewResponded 15 February 2014

Dear DSMTravel91,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We are glad to hear you enjoyed our vibe and service!

Come back soon!

Reviewed 12 February 2014

We were in LA for 3 days as part of a family holiday and stayed at the Viceroy. The hotel was tres chic. The concierge was great and recommended a number of good activities. The hotel was an easy walk to 3rd street shops and they provided bikes free of charge.

We thought we would need a car in LA (and hired one from the airport) but if we had our time again we would have caught a taxi from LAX and done the tours with pickup from the hotel. There is a car rental place across the road from the hotel if you need to rent one.

Our only complaint was that we had a room with an interconnecting door and we could hear everything going on in the next room. The air conditioner was also a bit noisy when it came on.

Room Tip: Dont get room with interconnecting door
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Matt S, Front Office Manager at Viceroy Santa Monica, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2014

Dear Black_Cat_HK,

Thank you for your feedback! We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay. Our location is well suited for people without a car, as you suggested. We sit in between beautiful Santa Monica and Venice Beach. We do hope to see you again in the future and appreciate your patronage.

Reviewed 7 February 2014

Stayed at the Viceroy for 2 nights after a long flight. The hotel was immaculate, great location and the early check in at 8am made it even better.

The only criticism was the weather as we couldn't utilise the beautiful pool area.

Will definitely return!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Matt S, Front Office Manager at Viceroy Santa Monica, responded to this reviewResponded 9 February 2014

Dear SMDO007,

Thank you for your feedback. I'm happy to hear we were able to get you an early check-in, especially after a long flight! Apologies for the weather! Next time you visit us I'm sure it will be bright and sunny.

Reviewed 5 February 2014

We stayed at the Viceroy for a family adult weekend in LA - we had limo service to see the shuttle The Endeavor, to Jiraffe for dinner, and to The Eagles concert at the Forum, and for each experience the concierge at Viceroy was very accommodating. We really appreciate it when hotel staff take the reins and we don't have to worry about following up with drivers, coordinating schedules, sorting out water for the rides, etc. The staff made our stay extra special by alleviating the worry from us having to plan everything. In addition, the staff gave us full use of the cabanas by the pool when available and were very attentive to our needs (two of us were pregnant and hungry!!). Although we were a bit disappointed in the lack of view of the beach/ocean, the rooms were large and clean. We also didn't like that the pool was shaded, as we are a very sunny bunch from San Diego and Santa Barbara - but again, the friendliness of the wait staff made everything special. I will say that the check-in staff were a bit snobby and did not receive my husband and I very well. The bartenders and servers, on the other hand, were lovely and the food was delicious! I absolutely loved my hamachi ceviche. The cocktails are fabulous, too - especially the Ocean Ave.The drinks and dancing on Saturday night after The Eagles was really fun as the hotel gets quite trendy at night. My only complaints are regarding the lack of view, shaded pool, snobby check-in staff and small fitness center. But again, the wait staff are LOVELY and the concierge made us feel at home. thank you for a fun adult family weekend!

Room Tip: ask for an ocean view room, otherwise you're staring at nothing.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Matt S, Front Office Manager at Viceroy Santa Monica, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2014

Dear Laurel L,

Thank you for staying with us. We appreciate your feedback and support. Please contact me directly anytime to discuss any service that fell short but we are happy to hear you enjoyed our property, our wonderful concierge and our restaurant.

We look forward to seeing you soon!