“Will try elsewhere next time”

Viceroy Santa Monica
Ranked #9 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 7 June 2014

If you are a light sleeper, avoid the rooms at the far end of the hotel, facing the water. There is a staff service elevator that runs behind the end rooms. Room was nice and would probably have been OK away from the elevator.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Aibhlin
Matt S, Manager at Viceroy Santa Monica, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2014

Aibhlin,
Thank you for joining us. We are very disappointed to hear that your stay didn't exceed expectations. Please know we will always do anything we can to honor a guests request including that of being a light sleeper. While I understand that you may choose to stay elsewhere next visit I do hope you'd consider contacting me personally on your next visit. I look forward to the opportunity.

Reviewed 5 June 2014

Newly renovated rooms. Kelly Wearstler is my favorite Interior Designer. Large marble baths. Outside pool area is very attractive. Service was excellent. The new menu at their restaurant was a little challenging but the food was good once I found something to order. Valet service was excellent. Location is great.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms are not really worth the extra money.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Coccindy

Coccindy,
Thank you very much for the love. We're glad to hear that you like what we did with the new rooms. Chef is always evolving the menu based on what's in season and our servers are happy to provide any guest with their suggestions. Happy that you enjoyed your food once you ordered though. We appreciate you joining us and sharing your experience.

Reviewed 4 June 2014

There are perhaps better places to stay in Santa Monica if a beach view is your top priority, yet it will be hard to match the service and other amenities that the Viceroy offers. Beginning with the friendliness of every staff member and the welcoming glass of Prosecco, one feels happy to be here. The rooms are large, with stunning marble in the bathroom. I like their sustainability-focus where they have done away with the small hotel size shampoos, conditioners, lotions and instead have large containers to use while there (or you can buy if you like). The plush robe is another temptation.

I had a room above the pool with a city view and had no trouble falling asleep even as the music and festivities in the outdoor bar below ramped up by 10pm. If you are super sensitive to noise, you may want to request a room on the other (street) side. The hotel is across the street from the beach, with easy access. The outdoor patio with pool and cabanas and white leather chairs is great place to relax alone or with friends.

The location is easy walking distance to the 3rd St. Promenade, about a 15 minute walk. The front desk person I spoke with was also very knowledgeable about places to eat with views, and helped find directions and reservations at Nobu/Malibu (excellent!).

The Viceroy is not an inexpensive place to stay but if you are looking for a boutique hotel with excellent service, you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: Quieter rooms likely on the front/street side given the lively bar scene in the evening.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank activechica

activechica,
Thank you for joining us and for sharing such a lovely and helpful review. While you are correct that there are other hotels directly on the beach we appreciate that you recognize what we feel sets us apart. We're very pleased to know that you were treated so well by our staff and enjoyed yourself throughout the property. We do hope to have the chance to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

I only wished we lived closer so we could come back again for special occasions! We stayed at Viceroy for one night on our last day in California for vacation. Couldn't have been more pleased with the hotel, its services and the people. We had a lovely view of the ocean from our King room, and everything was as clean as can be.

If I could have bottled up The Viceroy and taken it home with me...I would in a heartbeat!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Jessica G,
Thank you for the great idea of Viceroy in a bottle. We'll get started on that right away. In all seriously we are so happy to learn how much you enjoyed your visit. Though we know it's not easy to get across the country we are eagerly anticipating your next visit, special occasion or not. Thank you so much for joining us.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

The Viceroy Santa Monica met all my expectations, though I did a thorough job of researching all the hotels in this city before booking. I make it a point to read others reviews, find advice on the best rooms in the hotel and best places to eat before booking anything. History has a way of repeating itself. You know, if it looks like a duck.....so the Viceroy had all the right things and all the right reviews, save the few that had not paid for a room with a view or made a request for something more quiet or private. If you want to stay in Santa Monica, understand that you will be on Ocean Ave for the most part, looking across this busy street towards the ocean. The only way to see it properly is to be on a high floor or stay in one of the 4 hotels located directly on the beach. Those are pricey and not particularly well reviewed. I give the Viceroy higher marks because they are smaller, have a boutique feel and cater to their clientele very well. They have figured out their formula and it works - great service. All hotels need some work, and have some flaws, or have a grumpy worker, but the Viceroy will not disappoint. It pushes the bar pretty high and holds its staff to an impeccable standard, treating all guests like they are important, and the only ones staying there. This is true service. I paid for a great room and got it, so no complaints there. The food was wonderful, though I only ate breakfast twice. All well done and presented. The pool area is amazing. Small, quaint, well manicured. Think privacy, old hollywood, movie stars. It just makes you feel rich. I loved the ambiance way beyond anything else I saw in Santa Monica. The Shore Hotel, though ranked high also by comparison, has a very modern feel too, but cold and industrial, if that's for you. The Viceroy has all the design elements, plus the warmth and coziness of a well thought out design plan. Someone with taste actually designed the furnishings and art. I cannot say enough. I visited the Fairmont, Shore, drove past many others. Hands down, I would stay at the Viceroy again next time in SM just for the service alone. In fact, just for the valet service alone, lol. John was delightful and always made me feel at home. Matt, the manager, seems to have good control of the place and produces a consistent product from week to week. I used the concierge several times and even before traveling to secure dinner reservations. Sheri was amazing - she secured the reservations, checked on us while there, made sure we had directions and double checked on us throughout the stay. This is the type of service I want. Worth every cent because it makes the trip go so smoothly. As for property location, I think it is great. The street noise cannot be avoided if you want a view of the ocean. Just close both sets of double glass doors, which I thought kept it very quiet, but then again I was on the 8th floor of 8. It is far enough South on Ocean that you can walk directly across to the beach without having to navigate over the bluffs. You can also eat at any of the hotels right on the beach if you want. And you are still walking distance to the Pier. You can see the Pier all lit up at night from your windows, which by the way, open up like sliding glass doors and let in a great breeze. All in all, very impressed and will def. book again here.

Room Tip: High floor to see the ocean and less street noise. If staying in a suite, that is a good choice. The...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Matt S, Manager at Viceroy Santa Monica, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

Debbie S,
Your review is the exact reason why we believe Trip Advisor is so important. We love that it gives our future guests an opportunity to learn about what is out there and make educated decisions. I am so pleased to hear that we met all our your expectations. Thank you for recognizing the things that make us special which I truly believe is our people. Considering all of the time and effort you took in planning your trip it truly means to world to us to hear what an amazing experience you had. Thank you for taking the time to share.

Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

Absolutely loved my stay at the Viceroy, the attention they give you is bar none and the amenities are lovely, i have been to a few hotels in Santa Monica over the years and the viceroy is up there with the best. If you are looking for a cheap stay this isn't for you even though the money is well worth it. It is walking distance from everything that makes Santa Monica great.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dylan D,
Thank you very much for joining us Viceroy. There are many great places to stay in Santa Monica so to know that you consider us among the best is fantastic to hear. We do hope we'll have the chance to welcome you on your next visit to Santa Monica. I promise it will be as outstanding as this last visit. Thanks again.

Reviewed 22 May 2014

Had a wonderful stay here. The location is great right across from the beach and in walking distance to a lot of tourist locations. The hotel is hip- clean, trendy, beautiful and with nice touches. The rooms are huge. Had a large king room on the seventh floor overlooking the ocean. The room was quiet and the bed so comfortable. The hotel has lots if nice touches like bathroom amenities and the hallways smell of ocean.

The only negative is the gym. It was small and crowded in the morning. We were all waiting for the fog and clouds or burn off to use the beautiful pool and grounds.

Staff was friendly, if a little cold. They seem to get the job done though. I suppose you need a little bit if aloofness if you are going to work at the nicest hotel in Santa Monica.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Matt S, Manager at Viceroy Santa Monica, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2014

Amanda C,
Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience. I am thrilled to hear how much you enjoyed the hotel and I appreciate your attention to the special touches we try and place all around the hotel. I'm sorry that the fitness center put any damper on the whole experience. While not the biggest facility we have numerous fitness programs available and don't forget how close the beach is. While we appreciate being called the nicest hotel in Santa Monica we always want you to feel the love from our team. I promise that you'll receive this and see sunshine on your next visit which I hope is soon.