I chose the Viceroy for a business trip because of the solid reviews on Trip Advisor. As I walked into the lobby, I was thinking I'd made a good choice. The decor has a hip, cosmopolitan vibe going and the staff at the front desk was really welcoming.
Once I got my room, things became a bit less promising, but still good. There was nothing particularly bad about it; it could perhaps have used an update or refresh. It was just underwhelming. Things got worse once I realized my next-door neighbors were a sizable group of young guests bent on using their room as a headquarters for an ongoing party. This exposed an Achilles heel of the establishment: the walls are the thinnest of any I've ever experienced. I kid you not, I may as well have been in their room with them.
That started things downhill. Then things just got weird. When I first arrived in my room after check-in, I had the full complement of soap, shampoo and conditioner. After turn-down service came, everything but the hand soap was nowhere to be found. It was late and I needed a shower, so I used the hand soap as everything including shampoo.
The next morning I informed the front desk of the odd disappearance. They were suitably apologetic and confused and promised they would make sure I had everything when I got back. When I got back... it still wasn't there. I would have thought housekeeping would have fixed the situation as a matter of course and that my front desk visit would represent a sort of "belt-and-suspenders" approach, but alas, I was wrong on both counts.
After that, telling you about my disappointment with the workout room is a bit of a letdown to even mention, but a a disappointment it was nonetheless.
Overall, I just didn't find the hotel to be a particularly nice one. You can do better elsewhere in Santa Monica.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- An urban retreat at the shore - British impressions- with bold current perspectives. Business friendly- yet vacation ready- and just steps from the Santa Monica pier- beaches- shopping- dinning and nightlife. Each of the 162 guestrooms and suites offer ocean- pool- or palm views. Mascioni linens and bathrobes- custom beds with down comforters and pillows. Body and hair care products Aromatherapy Associates. In room spa services available- marble baths with seated vanities and soaking tubs- sitting areas- and fully stocked mini bars. In room entertainment centers feature 40 in flat screen tv- full cable access and movies- music- and video games- high-speed wireless Internet access- two-line telephones with speaker and private voicemail as well as media hubs. And dataports for modem/fax hookup - Viceroy also offers video check-out with e-mail reciept. A complete fitness center- 2 outdoor heated pools with private cabanas. Cameo bar- reunion dining at Cast- 24-hour room service- dry cleaning and laundry service- full-service concierge- choice of daily newspaper- and a 1300 sq foot meeting room with private patio overlooking the pool area. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Hotels.com, Travel Republic (UK), Ebookers, Odigeo, Ctrip TA, TravelUp, TripOnline SA, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Viceroy Santa Monica reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Viceroy Santa Monica Hotel Santa Monica
- Viceroy Hotel Santa Monica