“Just not a great experience”

Viceroy Santa Monica
Ranked #6 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
GreenLeadersBronze level
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Just not a great experience”
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I chose the Viceroy for a business trip because of the solid reviews on Trip Advisor. As I walked into the lobby, I was thinking I'd made a good choice. The decor has a hip, cosmopolitan vibe going and the staff at the front desk was really welcoming.

Once I got my room, things became a bit less promising, but still good. There was nothing particularly bad about it; it could perhaps have used an update or refresh. It was just underwhelming. Things got worse once I realized my next-door neighbors were a sizable group of young guests bent on using their room as a headquarters for an ongoing party. This exposed an Achilles heel of the establishment: the walls are the thinnest of any I've ever experienced. I kid you not, I may as well have been in their room with them.

That started things downhill. Then things just got weird. When I first arrived in my room after check-in, I had the full complement of soap, shampoo and conditioner. After turn-down service came, everything but the hand soap was nowhere to be found. It was late and I needed a shower, so I used the hand soap as everything including shampoo.

The next morning I informed the front desk of the odd disappearance. They were suitably apologetic and confused and promised they would make sure I had everything when I got back. When I got back... it still wasn't there. I would have thought housekeeping would have fixed the situation as a matter of course and that my front desk visit would represent a sort of "belt-and-suspenders" approach, but alas, I was wrong on both counts.

After that, telling you about my disappointment with the workout room is a bit of a letdown to even mention, but a a disappointment it was nonetheless.

Overall, I just didn't find the hotel to be a particularly nice one. You can do better elsewhere in Santa Monica.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Matt S
Matt S,
While I'm pleased that your visit started off well I was very disappointed to learn that we did not exceed your expectations through the rest of your stay. As you can tell from the numerous other reviews what you experienced is far from the norm and I am very sorry you did not have a great experience. I would consider it a privilege if I could discuss this with you directly. You may reach me at my direct line at 310-260-7606. I appreciate you sharing and look forward to the opportunity to speak with you.

Matt Shough, Director of Rooms

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (379)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
San Jose, California
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I came here with a friend for a conference in L.A. Admittedly, we had a suite, so can't comment on "normal" rooms, but our suite was spectacular, complete with beach view. Lots of room, well-appointed and good layout of furniture so that we weren't bumping into each other. The hotel breakfast was pricey but beautifully prepared and enough to last through the day. All the staff we encountered were helpful, professional, cheerful, and eager to please. The bar scene in the evening is lively and young (as is the rest of the night life in SM)--and might be loud for lower rooms. We were on the 7th floor and slept like logs.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at a higher floor if you're a light sleeper. If you like looking at the ocean, as...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
CHCNV,
We are so pleased to hear that you and your friend had such lovely stay at Viceroy. Thank you for joining us. Though our suites are wonderful I can assure you that you would have loved one of the "normal" room just as much. We happy to know that our team looked after you and that you enjoyed the restaurant and bar scene just as much as the suite. We hope to see you back soon.

Raymond Island, Australia
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We choose this hotel to finish our 6 weeks of travel of the USA before we flew back home.
We stayed here for three nights. It's was the most expensive hotel of our trip, and we were greeted with a glass of champagne on check in. Our room was a lovely corner suit,with glimpse of the beach.
It is one block back from the beach.
We didn't get to use the pool, as on our first night there they had a cocktail night which started early, and everyone was around the pool in suits and evening dresses, so you couldn't exactly go swimming. The second night they closed it early afternoon for a private function, so once again we couldn't go swimming. The third day we didn't want wet bathers to take on long during back.
There was no coffee or tea in room, and at night I really enjoy a cup of tea to go to bed, and it cost us $16.00 each night for cup of tea. We're other hotels you could go down and get one down stairs if they didn't have anything in the rooms. Just thought for the most expensive place,. One of the nights when I asked to be served the waiter said he was busy with a private person. We had to wait 40 minutes to get a cup of tea. Just thought that was bad.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Barbierichardson
Barbierichardson,
Thank you for choosing Viceroy to close out your trip of the States. We are pleased to hear that you received a warm welcome and enjoyed you suite. We apologize that you were unable to use the pool to it's full capabilities. While the pool is open for swimming from sunrise to sunset we do from time to time have events poolside. We make all efforts to notify our guests of this in advance. While coffee makers and kettles do not match the design of the guest rooms we do have them available upon request for our guests. We again thank you for joining us.

Reviewed 28 June 2014

The Viceroy is an outstanding hotel, with superior customer. The building is nicely appointed and the rooms were exceptionally comfortable. Being greeted with a glass of champagne after a long drive, well, that was the beginning of a great visit.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Vernon M,
Thank you for sharing your exceptional experience. The pleasure was all ours. We are very pleased to learn how much you enjoyed your time with us. We do hope to have the chance to welcome you back soon. Thanks again.

Brisbane
Reviewed 26 June 2014

What a lovely couple of days at this lovely hotel before we had to board a long flight home. The staff were very helpful and friendly. The location was great just across from the beach, close to the pier and a lots of cafes and restaurants. As we were checking out the staff were so helpful it made life so much easier. I would definitely stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: If you can't afford the ocean view the view over the pool is is lovely.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Diane S,
Thank you so much for allowing us the chance to provide you a little bit of luxury. We are sure you needed if before boarding your very long flight home. We're pleased to hear that our staff took such good care of you and made preparing for your flight a bit easier. We do we'll be able to welcome you back the next time you're in the States. Thanks again.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

The rooms were large, clean, modern and very pleasant to stay in. The close accessibility to the beach also helped. We asked the concierge about things to do in the area and planning our 2 days there and he was extremely helpful. This is a great hotel to stay in while in Santa Monica.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Harmeet S,
We are glad to learn you had such a lovely experience. Thank you for taking the time to share. All of our concierges are Santa Monica locals so they definitely have great recommendations of what to do in the area. Pleased to hear their advice was so helpful. It's great to hear you enjoyed the easy beach access too. We hope you were able to ride down on one of our bikes. Thanks again.

Plano, Texas
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Across a busy road and down a short side street you will find the beautiful Pacific Ocean, a large beach and the famed Santa Monica Pier. Plenty of restaurants and shopping is just a few blocks north. The crazy thing is if you are a guest at the stunning Viceroy Hotel you might not bother to go because the Hotel is so nice. I had a lush comfortable well appointed room with all the needed amenities for a relaxing stay. Comfy bed, quiet room, clean and beautifully decorated. The hotel has that 4/5 star luxurious feel to it, like you are some place special. My check in was smooth and easy, the large attentive staff was helpful, pool area very nice, restaurant and bar both run well and were great. No complaints, would go back again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
MrDVMP,
Thank you for joining us and for sharing your experience. We love that you enjoyed yourself so much that you almost didn't want to leave the hotel. We're glad you did though as you're correct that we're in a dandy location so there's plenty to get out and see in our beautiful city. We appreciate that you felt you were somewhere special as this is what we wish for all of our guests. We look forward to having you back.