“Three days in July”

Ranked #9 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 29 July 2014

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Matt S, Manager at Viceroy Santa Monica, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2014

Write a ReviewReviews (1,660)

Reviewed 28 July 2014

This hotel is very trendy and lively. The pool area cabanas are a great place to relax, after touring around the Santa Monica Pier. Great service. The rooms didn't knock my socks off, but the view of the beach was lovely.

1  Thank balletrfs17

balletrfs17,
Thank you for joining us in Santa Monica. We're pleased that you enjoyed yourself so much in our amazing city. While your socks are still on we're glad to know you had a good time while with us. We hope to have the chance to knock them off on your next visit. Thanks again.

Reviewed 27 July 2014

I stayed at Viceroy for a long weekend, and the actual stay-in -experience was lovely, albeit Viceroy is missing some features normally expected in this price level (turn-down service, coffee makers / espresso machines) in the room. Compared to some other luxury hotels, it does additionally have a less favorable location, being slightly further away from the central Santa Monica hot spots.

What really pulled down my rating is the mess-up that followed after my stay; they didn't cancel the sum reserved on my credit card after I had settled the bill, which, because I'm not (their more typical type of customer?) a millionaire, basically ruined the rest of my vacation in my next stop, as I couldn't use the credit card basically at all!!! Not great for your shopping-leg-of-the-vacation!!! What upsets me even more is that when I contacted them on the issue, they said they had fixed it, yet three days later, the sum is still blocked on my credit card!!! I'm sorry but I will not be coming back.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank SoulSisterLondon
Matt S, Manager at Viceroy Santa Monica, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2014

SoulSisterLondon,
Thank you for joining us at Viceroy and for sharing your feedback. I am pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay while you were with us but am disappointed to hear about the frustration you experienced with authorization on your card. We do release any authorizations at the hotel level at the end of each day at which point our it is up to our guest's bank as to how quickly they release the authorization on their end. I do know that our Front Office Manager had correspondence with you and made all attempts possible to assist in this matter for you though I do regret this was not able to be resolved faster for you. I would be happy to discuss this with you in person should you wish to phone me on my direct line of 310-260-7506. We appreciate the opportunity to welcome you.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

Our 2nd summer stay here.

Upscale ambiance with the beach right outside is great!!! Staff is exceptionally friendly given the potential clientele who stay here, they do a good job at making even the common folk like us feel welcome. The check in dude was really nice and welcoming (even though we were in shorts and T's) to my wife and I and that started our stay off nice. That was most impressive and would make me want to stay there again.

Oh yea and the rooms are excellent and décor is what you'd expect for a urbane hotel of this caliber.

Room Tip: try to get a beach front room. view of santa monica pier at night is nice
1  Thank vincentd972
Matt S, Manager at Viceroy Santa Monica, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2014

Vincent D,
Thank you for the love and for returning to see us at Viceroy. I'm very pleased to hear what a great time both you and your wife had. That is only topped by the knowledge that you were welcomed with open arms by our team. We appreciate your loyalty and hope that we can make this an annual summer visit for you.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

Fantastic hotel if you're looking for a comfortable and nice hotel with all amenities near Santa Monica. You are a block away from the beach, a short walk from the Santa Monica pier, as well as the Third Street promenade that has all the shops you can hope for.

There is a 24-hour gym, bar lobby, pool, indoor/outdoor seating restaurant. The beds are very comfortable, the bathrooms are extremely clean and the TV has enough channels for everyone. The mini bar is well stock if you are ever in dire need.

I was here for business but I would definitely come back for personal travel. Can't go wrong here.

Room Tip: There are really no bad rooms in this hotel. It's fairly small and easy to travel around. Just...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Tara B

Tara B,
Thank you so much for joining us a Viceroy and for sharing photos of your visit. Though you were traveling for business it's wonderful to see you had a chance to sneak down to the beach. I'm very pleased to learn what a great experience you had and that you were able to enjoy all of the amenities of the hotel. If you enjoyed yourself this much when you were working we can't wait to really wow you on your next visit for pleasure. Thank you again.

Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

We drove down to Santa Monica to stay at Viceroy after having stayed at The Beverly Hills Hotel. Upon arrival we didn't really feel wellcome. Front staff gave no information at all. Ocean View room very small. Pool area especially disappointing as pools were extremely small..
Would not recommend. We shortened our stay and went back to BHH.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Mads R

Mads R,
There is nothing worse for us than to learn that one of our guests had a disappointing experience. I am very sorry that we were not able to exceed your expectations during your visit. That you were not made to feel welcome upon arrival is indeed disappointing. I regret that we were unable to resolve this disappointment and therefore allow you to enjoy the remainder of your stay. I would consider it a privilege if I could have the opportunity to discuss your experience personally. You may contact me on my direct line of 310-260-7506. I hope to have this chance to learn more. Thank you for joining us.

Reviewed 19 July 2014

The hotel definitely gives the 'trendy and hip' vibe as soon as you enter with a lot of stuff going on- champagne while you are being checked in , lots of mirrors and statues of greyhounds and things that can make your senses get overloaded!

We paid extra for a view of the beach which we got and it was nice. Considering we paid a pretty package, you would think maybe we would get a decent internet connection ? The free wifi doesn't work and when it works it is slower than the internet from the 90's. Considering that you can step out on the street and probably catch some free wifi which is faster, I find it ludicrous that such a high end hotel would make you pay $16 to get a decent connection.
There is no tea or coffee maker which is surprising , no dental kit unless you ask for one. The soaps and shampoos are in big bottles that remind you of the bottles that are chained to the walls in a hotel like an Ibis to make sure you don't run away with them. They have all sorts of high end soaps/shampoos and things for sale in the bathroom which you might mistake as part of the deal if you aren't careful .Kills the vibe of fancy , according to me.
The pool is teeny tiny and crowded most of the time. It's a close walk to the beach and to the Third Street Promenade where there are loads of shops and restaurants but I don't think the hotel is worth it. Way too pricy and stuck up. We had planned for two nights but luckily decided to stay only one.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

KismetJewellNakai,
Thank you for joining us. I am very sorry to hear that we did not exceed your expectations during your visit. The decor of the hotel is one of our trademarks though I regret to hear it wasn't to your liking. We do have fiber optic wireless internet through the building of which the basic entry speed is included in the room rate. We do offer an upgrade to this speed to allow for streaming. I am sorry however that you were not able to connect effectively. We aim to exceed our guests expectations and it is very unfortunate that this was not achieved during your visit. We appreciate the opportunity and thank you for your feedback.