“Favorite LA area hotel”

Viceroy Santa Monica
Ranked #9 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

The Viceroy never fails to disappoint - from the complimentary glass of prosecco at check-in, to the outstanding service from the staff - this is a great experience. Two blocks to the beach with bikes available to use. Some tips: rooms on lower floors on "city" side can be loud as poolside tends to be busy at night. No towels available to take to beach (can purchase for $30) so if you're planning to lay out at the beach bring your own or buy from a nearby shop. Also smoothies on breakfast menu are delicious!

• Stayed: July 2014
Matt S, Manager at Viceroy Santa Monica, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2014

MsMNFoodie,
We are honored to be considered your favorite hotel in LA. Thank you for continuing to come back and see us. Thank you also for providing some tips to our future guests. We're very pleased to hear that we continue to impress and look forward to having the chance to do this many more times in the future. We'll have a smoothie waiting for you. Thanks again.

Matt Shough, Director of Rooms

Write a ReviewReviews (1,662)

Reviewed 1 August 2014

Lovely hotel, and the location is good. The room's didn't match the very high standard of Palm Springs, and because we turned up Thanks Giving eve the hotel staff gave the impression they didn't really want to be there, which I guess you can't really blame them, but there was no holiday atmosphere. Also, disappointing that we weren't pre-warned that the whole pool area was out of use. Other than that a very nice hotel, I love the Viceroy chain!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Waltssy,
Thank you for being such a loyal Viceroy Hotel Group guest. Our Palm Springs property is pretty special so we're please to learn that you have had good experiences in both properties. We did take advantage of the very slow period and colder weather around Thanksgiving last year to re-plaster our pools. I regret that you were not made aware ahead of time as we did attempt to communicate this on our website. I do hope that we can have you back on your next visit to enjoy the improved pool area.

Reviewed 30 July 2014

I really enjoyed staying here! It is a bit hard to find on Ocean Avenue (as it is surrounded by large hedges). It is located a bit south from Santa Monica pier and 3rd street promenade, where most of the restaurants and stores are located. The decor is absolutely beautiful - the color schemes and decorating are top notch. Found check-in to be painless and was upgraded to an ocean view (not much of a view from the 3rd floor) - so request a higher floor to truly get an ocean view. It looks over a street, which is busy, but the doors and windows seemed to keep out most of the sound out. The room (we stayed in a King) was beautifully decorated, clean and classy. Housekeeping was good and prompt. The hotel is older, so you hear some pipes and banging noises in the morning. The charm of this hotel is the feel you get when you walk in the lobby or your room, the smell (which was delicious) and the general decor of the hotel. Parking is expensive (valet only at $35 a night). They have bike rentals (great idea) so you can cruise the strand or shop (bike locks included). Overall, it is a great hotel with a below average location - however if you don't care about walking this is a great option.

Room Tip: Request higher floor
1  Thank natedawg4040

natedawg4040,
We are thrilled to learn how much you enjoyed staying with us. Thank you for sharing. We appreciate that you were a fan of our decor and design as it is one of the aspects of the hotel we take great pride in. While the hotel is a short walk to the pier and promenade we closer that most hotels in Santa Monica to the Main Street shopping and dinning area. We hope you'll have the chance to explore this part of town on your next visit with us. Thanks again.

Reviewed 29 July 2014

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Reviewed 28 July 2014

This hotel is very trendy and lively. The pool area cabanas are a great place to relax, after touring around the Santa Monica Pier. Great service. The rooms didn't knock my socks off, but the view of the beach was lovely.

1  Thank balletrfs17

balletrfs17,
Thank you for joining us in Santa Monica. We're pleased that you enjoyed yourself so much in our amazing city. While your socks are still on we're glad to know you had a good time while with us. We hope to have the chance to knock them off on your next visit. Thanks again.

Reviewed 27 July 2014

I stayed at Viceroy for a long weekend, and the actual stay-in -experience was lovely, albeit Viceroy is missing some features normally expected in this price level (turn-down service, coffee makers / espresso machines) in the room. Compared to some other luxury hotels, it does additionally have a less favorable location, being slightly further away from the central Santa Monica hot spots.

What really pulled down my rating is the mess-up that followed after my stay; they didn't cancel the sum reserved on my credit card after I had settled the bill, which, because I'm not (their more typical type of customer?) a millionaire, basically ruined the rest of my vacation in my next stop, as I couldn't use the credit card basically at all!!! Not great for your shopping-leg-of-the-vacation!!! What upsets me even more is that when I contacted them on the issue, they said they had fixed it, yet three days later, the sum is still blocked on my credit card!!! I'm sorry but I will not be coming back.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank SoulSisterLondon
Matt S, Manager at Viceroy Santa Monica, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2014

SoulSisterLondon,
Thank you for joining us at Viceroy and for sharing your feedback. I am pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay while you were with us but am disappointed to hear about the frustration you experienced with authorization on your card. We do release any authorizations at the hotel level at the end of each day at which point our it is up to our guest's bank as to how quickly they release the authorization on their end. I do know that our Front Office Manager had correspondence with you and made all attempts possible to assist in this matter for you though I do regret this was not able to be resolved faster for you. I would be happy to discuss this with you in person should you wish to phone me on my direct line of 310-260-7506. We appreciate the opportunity to welcome you.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

Our 2nd summer stay here.

Upscale ambiance with the beach right outside is great!!! Staff is exceptionally friendly given the potential clientele who stay here, they do a good job at making even the common folk like us feel welcome. The check in dude was really nice and welcoming (even though we were in shorts and T's) to my wife and I and that started our stay off nice. That was most impressive and would make me want to stay there again.

Oh yea and the rooms are excellent and décor is what you'd expect for a urbane hotel of this caliber.

Room Tip: try to get a beach front room. view of santa monica pier at night is nice
1  Thank vincentd972
Matt S, Manager at Viceroy Santa Monica, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2014

Vincent D,
Thank you for the love and for returning to see us at Viceroy. I'm very pleased to hear what a great time both you and your wife had. That is only topped by the knowledge that you were welcomed with open arms by our team. We appreciate your loyalty and hope that we can make this an annual summer visit for you.