“Hip, elegant and special”

Viceroy Santa Monica
Ranked #9 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 20 June 2010

The hotel is ultra cool. We stayed in a suite which had balcony like windows with ocean views. Staff could not have been more accommodating. Restaurant was great for lunch and breakfast, but don't order just coffee from room service, it will cost $10. But they brought up free popcorn in the evening. DVDs instead of in-room movie system is a bit limited, but the location and service of this hotel cannot be beat.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,633)

Reviewed 4 June 2010

from the outside ...it's just a building but inside it's a paradise. great garden with swimming pool that is always crowded even in the evenings for parties.
great restaurant and quiet hotel...
you can relax. rooms are great and big.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
vicejess, Manager at Viceroy Santa Monica, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2010

Thank you so much for writing about your recent stay at the Viceroy! I am so thrilled to hear you were able to enjoy our wonderful outdoor space and that you also enjoyed your dinner at Whist, our fabulous restaurant here at the hotel. Whist recently received glowing accolades in the LA Times and is truly worth the visit. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 2 June 2010

My son who lives in Santa Monica invited me for Mother's Day weekend and suggested that I stay at the Viceroy Hotel. My daughter was meeting me there so I booked a room with two double beds. Shortly after booking my room, I received an e-mail from their concierge Sean offering to help me with any requests we might have. I requested an early check in as well as a room on a higher floor away from the pool due to the comments I had read about the noise level in the evenings due to the nightlife. I arrived in LA early on Saturday morning and called the hotel around 10:00AM. They said the room was ready and we could come and check in at any time. When we checked in, Sean remembered our correspondence and was quite friendly and helpful. After our complimentary glass of champagne at check in, we headed up to our room. The room was wonderful. I enjoy these boutique type of hotels and thought the decor was great! We headed down to the pool. The pool area is nice and sheltered from the wind off the ocean and we had a great afternoon out at the pool with drinks and appetizers. The service was great and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Viceroy. If you are sensitive to noise, bring some earplugs as you can hear the music from the pool area into the wee hours of the morning. I didn't have a problem sleeping but it kept my daughter up until it stopped around 2AM. We also had a cocktail in the lounge/bar on Saturday evening and really enjoyed the "vibe" at the Viceroy. I will definitely stay at the Viceroy on future visits to Santa Monica. Fabulous Mother's Day weekend, I can't wait to go back!

Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business

Thank you for your posting! I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay and that you found our service levels to be great. Our colleagues take pride in offering intuitive service and I am happy to hear that we were able to accommodate your early arrival. We strive to take exceptional care of our guests and I am so pleased our team was able to make your stay memorable.

Reviewed 1 June 2010

If you are young, hip, and can hang with the cast of MTV's "The Hills," then this is your spot. If you're not, read on.....

My wife, 18 month old son, and I needed a place to stay for 2 nights in So. Cal. Not wanting to spend a ton of money, we booked this through hotwire - so didn't realize what we were getting into. When we pulled up with a child and a car full of kid-stuff, the valet said, "our bellmen are really busy, so how much of this do you need?" - that was our first indication we were in the wrong place. Then when I learned that parking was mandatory valet and cost $29 a night (plus the obligatory tips every time you need the car) it makes the hotwire price a waste.

There are several redeeming qualities about this place. Beautiful lobby, chic rooms, cool ambiance, and then pretty people. The atmosphere takes you back to the insecurities of Jr. High, the way people stare you down.

The pools are tiny, and again stocked with beautiful people, so you can forget about having any space to unload your child's "floaties" and other supplies. Also, did I mention the lobby/pool doubles as a night club? Well the hotel failed to mention it to us as well. The result? Three days later I can feel the rhytmic thumping of a bass drum in my heart from a sleepless night with 2 pillows on my head.

Pillows....a redeeming quality. Awesome pillows. Can't say enough.

When we checked out, (at 5 am because our child was screaming, and we felt the peer pressure of other rooms barreling down upon us) the desk person asked, "how was your stay?" My reply, "This is not exactly a kid friendly hotel."
I got a very curt nod of acknowledgement as if we couldn't part ways soon enough.

I've never written a hotel review, and won't do too many. I can't stress enough how cool this place is - but if you have kids, your wallet will be light and your ego bruised.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank pwat99
vicejess, Director of Guest Services at Viceroy Santa Monica, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2010

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent trip to the Viceroy Santa Monica. I sincerely apologize for the lapses in service you encountered and can happily say that we have worked hard in the last few weeks to ensure impressions like the one you mentioned are not the case. We have met with our leadership team and have made great additions to meet the needs of our guests who travel with children. If there is opportunity for a future visit, we can offer a better experience and show you that we can be exceptional! Thank you again for sharing your feedback.

Reviewed 27 May 2010

The Viceroy is a photographer/designers dream, which is why we choose it for the start of our honeymoon. We actually booked it on Hotwire.com after some creative investigating to figure out what hotel it was. It was a gamble of course but we booked it for about half the price! We booked 4 nights even though we only stayed 3 because our flight to New Zealand was at night and we didn't want to have to pack up bags and be out by 11AM the day we left to go overseas on a 14hr flight.

On our wedding day we made a point of checking in before the wedding (yes, in complete wedding attire with photographer in tow) so that we could get our bags in, have a key, and take some pictures around the property. Our bridal party had a blast at the bar while they waited. It's definitely a hot spot for nightlife and even lounging around the pool and bar during the day. This was on a Sunday too!

The gentleman at the front desk first told us our room was not ready and we'd have to have them store or bags, and after a plea from the photographer, he "double checked" and said he'd get us into a room earlier and was giving us an upgraded room! This was an awesome surprise, until we got upstairs and found out he did NOT upgrade us. It was the standard room we booked. This was a bit of a disappointment/let down but we'd not let this staff member's lie & ignorance ruin our big day.

That was about the most interaction we had with the staff for the rest of our stay. We did not eat in the restaurant so we cannot really comment on that.

We did venture out to the pier and surrounding shops by foot - it was a pretty good location for this even though it's not right on the water.

The rooms are a little smaller than the average LA area rooms I'm used to (mainly the Starwood brand), the restroom a bit smaller too - though all very well decorated and clean.

I agree the staff did seem to have an air of superiority about them, and the hotel in general lacked the overall top-notch service of other top hotel chains.

Since we got such a great deal on this and got the pictures we wanted, I'm glad we stayed here.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple

Thank you for complimentary remarks regarding the design of the hotel. Our designer, Kelly Wearstler, is extremely talented and the hotel has been recognized for the amazing decor in numerous publications. Please accept my apologies for your arrival experience in that we were unable to upgrade you as requested. We know how special of a day this was and we always try to recognize special occasions and will upgrade whenever possible. Please be assured that we strive to be as approachable as possible, so I will take your words back to the team for further growth. I’m glad to know that your bridal party had a blast while you were able to take photographs in the lobby – it sounds like everyone had a great time. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 24 May 2010

It happened to be my birthday when we were in Santa Monica. When booking this hotel online my boyfriend chose the standard room but said in the notes section that it was my birthday.

When we arrived, we were automatically upgradcd to an ocean view because it was my birthday, we were also given two glasses of champagne on arrival. Our porter was great and spent a good amount of time with us showing us how everything worked.

The room was lovely, nice and spacious, very luxurious and a great view just down the road from Santa Monica beach, brilliant! It had everything that you needed in there and was simply a pleasure to be in!

Take advantage of the happy hour in the bar, some good cocktails and appetisers at half price. It's a smart place so you'd probably want to dress up a little bit!

On the second night we booked into their Whist restaurant which comes with high reviews. In honesty we thought it was quite average, although we sat outside by the pool which was nice. The pool area is very luxurious and you can book certain areas but it does lose the sun late afternoon.

It's in a good location about five minutes from Santa Monica pier and a 5 - 10 minute walk away from the main third street promenade.

It's not cheap, but if you fancy treating yourselves it's worth it.

Reviewed 18 May 2010

We just returned from our Viceroy stay and really enjoyed it. We got a great deal, so it's a borderline '5' for the price paid, but a '4' might be a stretch at the full rack rates compared to Shutters or the Casa del Mar. Our room had a nice view and large marble bathroom, the linens were of good quality, and the decor was fun. The only downside was the lack of closet space. Our dinner at Whist and all other food and drinks were very good. Service was fantastic from start to finish --- friendly, professional, efficient.

Unlike other reviewers, I didn't experience any noise issues being on the front side of the hotel. The lobby, bar, and pool area basically become a club on weekend nights, which was fine with us but might not appeal to some travelers. You definitely notice the hotel's age in certain areas, but overall I thought it was kept up pretty well. The decor is great for a hotel stay, but I can't say that I'd want my house to look like this (sorry Kelly). I thought the $29 parking charge was rather steep and the fact that they charge for wireless internet in 2010 at a hotel of this level is tacky.

When coming back to Santa Monica this summer, the Viceroy will definitely be on the short list of choices.